Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?


Reply


Old
  Post #31 (permalink)   04-17-2014, 09:20 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36

Status: jamm is offline
I'm confused atm lol. Where are you guys getting these statistics?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #32 (permalink)   09-29-2014, 03:49 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105

Status: MarkPoppen is offline
25 out of 31 new posts are ads right now.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was about to create on about this myself.

Why don't we have a system where the amount of ads you can place is based on the amount of quality posts you have made in the past X days?
For example, if you have 10 posts in the past 10 days, you get 1 ad. 20 posts in the past 10 days will give you 2 etc. It prevents people from signing up, pretend they're helping the community by posting 25 quality posts, and after that only to come back to place ads.

I don't mind looking at ads, since they help fund this community, but I keep seeing ads posted by people I never see posting any other content (exceptions apply, of course).
__________________
█ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #33 (permalink)   09-29-2014, 04:52 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPoppen View Post
25 out of 31 new posts are ads right now.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I was about to create on about this myself.

Why don't we have a system where the amount of ads you can place is based on the amount of quality posts you have made in the past X days?
For example, if you have 10 posts in the past 10 days, you get 1 ad. 20 posts in the past 10 days will give you 2 etc. It prevents people from signing up, pretend they're helping the community by posting 25 quality posts, and after that only to come back to place ads.

I don't mind looking at ads, since they help fund this community, but I keep seeing ads posted by people I never see posting any other content (exceptions apply, of course).
While I would love to see more quality content, I can't really see that one working. What it will do is just to tolerate more and more spamming and useless comments just to get your post count up so you can post an ad. And this will be a frequent occurrence instead of just being one time.

Sad reality is that most people just focus on one forum and its the most populated one with the best content. You are a member of WHT yourself I believe and you know darn well how different it is from any other hosting related forum. You just can't beat their popularity at the moment and the most serious "players" do hang out predominantly there.
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #34 (permalink)   09-29-2014, 05:09 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105

Status: MarkPoppen is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado_Ch View Post
While I would love to see more quality content, I can't really see that one working. What it will do is just to tolerate more and more spamming and useless comments just to get your post count up so you can post an ad. And this will be a frequent occurrence instead of just being one time.

Sad reality is that most people just focus on one forum and its the most populated one with the best content. You are a member of WHT yourself I believe and you know darn well how different it is from any other hosting related forum. You just can't beat their popularity at the moment and the most serious "players" do hang out predominantly there.
Yup. I believe that WHT is struggling with the same issue, though. Although they have 3 pages of new topics almost every time I log in, the majority is advertising.
It's up to US, the existing members of HD to create quality content for others to find. I think the ads are putting people off to sign up right now.

If I were to start a community like this, I'd do it without advertising in posts. Just have a sidebar where you can buy a link, just like here. and/or have a "reddit gold" type-structure, where you can throw gold/karma at someone for being helpful, and that gold/karma/cookie or whatever you want to call it can be bought.
__________________
█ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #35 (permalink)   10-09-2014, 09:36 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 68
Send a message via Skype™ to mikebvm

Status: mikebvm is offline
IMO there's a misconception that people post ads instead of posting in a discussion. I think that's incorrect. I think that if people who only post ads were suddenly unable to post ads, they simply wouldn't post at all. I don't think they'd just spend that same time talking about billing or livechat software.

Sure, you can motivate someone to post in the discussion threads by implementing a rule like "you must post in the discussion threads before you can post your next ad" but then you encourage junk posts.

To really drum up conversation in the discussion sections, engaging topics are necessary. Basic questions like "What billing system do you use" doesn't engage users.
__________________
BudgetVM - VPS and Dedicated servers
Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
DDOS protection on every IP on every server.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #36 (permalink)   10-09-2014, 01:56 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105

Status: MarkPoppen is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebvm View Post
IMO there's a misconception that people post ads instead of posting in a discussion. I think that's incorrect. I think that if people who only post ads were suddenly unable to post ads, they simply wouldn't post at all. I don't think they'd just spend that same time talking about billing or livechat software.

Sure, you can motivate someone to post in the discussion threads by implementing a rule like "you must post in the discussion threads before you can post your next ad" but then you encourage junk posts.

To really drum up conversation in the discussion sections, engaging topics are necessary. Basic questions like "What billing system do you use" doesn't engage users.
I agree, but it's a vicious cycle.. "Why would I post an engaging post, knowing that there will be little to no reply, if I can post it elsewhere and get pages of comments in 1 day?" and "There's no engaging content to reply on"...
__________________
█ ♥ █ PoppenWorks, Canadian web design, development and hosting. Now with 24/7 support.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #37 (permalink)   10-11-2014, 03:34 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPoppen View Post
Yup. I believe that WHT is struggling with the same issue, though. Although they have 3 pages of new topics almost every time I log in, the majority is advertising.
It's up to US, the existing members of HD to create quality content for others to find. I think the ads are putting people off to sign up right now.

If I were to start a community like this, I'd do it without advertising in posts. Just have a sidebar where you can buy a link, just like here. and/or have a "reddit gold" type-structure, where you can throw gold/karma at someone for being helpful, and that gold/karma/cookie or whatever you want to call it can be bought.
True...but to a certain extent. WHT is still enjoying most of the hosting presence in forums and indeed many hosts advertise there. However, I am checking the New Posts around every 24 hours and there are certainly not just 3 pages of new posts, more like 12-15, and around 3-4 pages from those are ads. This still leaves you with plenty of discussions to participate in AND place your ads once a week. I dunno, I still see a huge gap between WHT and other hosting-related forums. Monopoly is never good news so hopefully new interesting forums will emerge from the shadows but for now they are a long way from achieving that.
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #38 (permalink)   10-11-2014, 08:58 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,536
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
dont trust WHT. I terminated a client for non payment, he posted false statements against me and my business on WHT, so i replied with the truth and evidence to this and guess what my posts were removed and i was banned while this ex client remains on WHT
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #39 (permalink)   11-04-2014, 12:48 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamm View Post
I'm confused atm lol. Where are you guys getting these statistics?
heheh. When you log in click on New Posts. Then start counting

I logged in to day for the first time in weeks. There were about 450 new posts. Too many to count. But in the first 52 there were 9 that were not ads or non-fluff posts
 
 
 


Old
  Post #40 (permalink)   12-05-2014, 02:16 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 12

Status: panacheweb is offline
I know the forum administration could change the advertising forums to require 25 regular posts before you can even post in those forums. There is that option.. If you want more substance, it could do something to add more posts.

I know WHT uses this method.

There used to be a mod that allowed you to post a in a forum every x days if you are part of a certain member group. Don't know if the mod is still in production.

Options are already available.

limit private messages till after 10 posts.

Seriously instead of whining about something, suggest solutions.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #41 (permalink)   12-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacheweb View Post
Seriously instead of whining about something, suggest solutions.
Read my first three posts in this thread before whining about my alleged whining. Sheesh.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #42 (permalink)   12-07-2014, 03:56 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 12

Status: panacheweb is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
Read my first three posts in this thread before whining about my alleged whining. Sheesh.
I was not referring to you directly, I was saying in General in regards to the whole thread.

instead of just repeating and saying "yah I notice the same thing" Grumble Grumble.. suggestions and ideas are always more helpful.

For example, I recently asked about my website, got some response. The feedback prompted me to spend the money on a template.

Here is another thing, Do your clients post reviews about you here? do they even know you advertise here to post a response or state about your service? If your own clients do not know, then you advertising here is generally useless. Bringing your own clients to the site to even post one or two posts, from say 50-200 web hosts would bring in new members, some might even join in the community.

If you do not get clients from this community, you have to ask why not? Is there something that needs to be done to fix that?

I know there are bigger forums for hosting out there that are known and have been around for years.

Any idea is always a good idea, even if it is a bad idea in the absence of any ideas.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #43 (permalink)   12-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacheweb View Post
If you do not get clients from this community, you have to ask why not? Is there something that needs to be done to fix that?
The answer is simple: the hosting consumers don't visit this forum, generally speaking
 
 
 


Old
  Post #44 (permalink)   12-11-2014, 03:32 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,536
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
The answer is simple: the hosting consumers don't visit this forum, generally speaking
I agree, you will find most consumers will goto Gumtree, ebay and the likes, very few visit forums
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #45 (permalink)   12-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
I agree, you will find most consumers will goto Gumtree, ebay and the likes, very few visit forums
They don't come here to discuss hosting like they do at WHT. When I was a member in good standing I enjoyed helping consumers with their hosting problems and inquiries. There is no such activity here.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: