Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > HostingDiscussion Community > Announcements, Help and Feedback > HD Artashes are Good But what If we could reward ourselves too
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #16 (permalink)   03-26-2016, 05:11 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
As for the idea itself, we discussed it in length and my personal take on it is that it moves our forum into a different business model and brings out the wrong message, in which members become motivated to help others only because of financial remuneration more than just their will to share advice and help others, which is what a community like ours is.

It is something that has to be custom developed and maintained around its value proposition, because along the way you will discover you have other issues you have to think of.
Dont you then think even the current monetary rewards should be scrapped because they are not any different after all?
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 


Old
  Post #17 (permalink)   03-26-2016, 09:34 AM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,615

Status: Artashes is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdedicated View Post
Dont you then think even the current monetary rewards should be scrapped because they are not any different after all?
Not at all, because at this moment the quality control process us under our command. We decide what we consider a helpful interesting contribution. Giving such powers to members might create a shift in the quality of material that is being awarded and move the forum towards a completely different business model that I mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-sho View Post
As a matter of fact, I do not like the idea of rewards in the form of money including the existing one HD has. It sends a wrong message to the ones who do not use HD regularly.

For me, I didn't sign up with HD before because of the "get paid to participate" offer. I understand that it's a way of putting value to members that actually contribute valuable information/interaction but it kind of differs from the concept of sharing. You can replace that with a temporary badge and a count of how many temp badge a member received in the lifetime of their account.
And I totally appreciate that you didn't sign up for that and hope that everyone does it for the right reasons. I think the fact that the award is never guaranteed and is used randomly would not convey anyone that that is what is expected 100% of the time. We use it as a promotional mechanism to thank people for their time in providing interesting and valuable contributions. We do not use it all the time, keeping it proper balanced and incidental. So in the minds of members, it is more like a pleasant add-on feature.

I do agree with you on a lot of points and I love the idea of badges. Vanilla software provides a totally cool set of engagement tools with their forum, but they lack in a lot of other areas. I've considered moving to it quite a number of times that it became a struggle in a way. We introduced a Thank You button a while back, which is designed exactly with the purpose to thank someone for their insight and/or help. Pure, clean and honest way of feedback.

We'll see where we go from here. When we launched the Paid Post reward system, we had no idea what to expect. But during these years we saw a lot of great posts and the overall feedback received was positive. Member feedback, not corporate interests, is what builds this community, so if the feedback was negative, this program would not have survived long.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #18 (permalink)   03-26-2016, 12:52 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,876
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-sho View Post

For me, I didn't sign up with HD before because of the "get paid to participate" offer.
You misunderstand the the get paid part.

you don't get paid to participate. It is a reward for helping the community with sound advice
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to easyhostmedia For This Useful Post:
Harv45 (03-26-2016)


Old
  Post #19 (permalink)   03-26-2016, 01:54 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 35

Status: MechanicWeb-sho is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
so if the feedback was negative, this program would not have survived long.
Thanks for addressing in detail and understanding that it actually affects the non-members. If anything, I wish all the best to HD and everyone that are related

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
You misunderstand the the get paid part.

you don't get paid to participate. It is a reward for helping the community with sound advice
I can agree with you on this now that I have become a member of HD. My concern was actually about the non-members. It can imply "Oh! They need to pay to post?", if I become extreme sarcastic. With all the pay par scams this seems a legit concern to people who do not know much about HD. A successful community needs a large number of members.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #20 (permalink)   03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,615

Status: Artashes is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-sho View Post
I can agree with you on this now that I have become a member of HD. My concern was actually about the non-members. It can imply "Oh! They need to pay to post?", if I become extreme sarcastic. With all the pay par scams this seems a legit concern to people who do not know much about HD. A successful community needs a large number of members.
I see your point. I will think how I can rephrase that line and if I can come up with something as catchy and short, I'll change it so it doesn't send the wrong message.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #21 (permalink)   03-28-2016, 02:14 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-sho View Post
I can agree with you on this now that I have become a member of HD. My concern was actually about the non-members. It can imply "Oh! They need to pay to post?", if I become extreme sarcastic. With all the pay par scams this seems a legit concern to people who do not know much about HD. A successful community needs a large number of members.
Well stated.
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: