Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   05-17-2016, 05:14 PM
HD Master
 
whmcsguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 285
Send a message via Skype™ to whmcsguru

Status: whmcsguru is offline
It seems that somewhere between November and the new year, WHMCS modified their system requirements page, taking out Windows entirely:

Quote:
* We validate WHMCS to run in Linux based environments running the Apache web server. Other environments such as Windows based configurations may experience compatibility issues and are not supported.
Not that this is a huge surprise, I mean Windows servers? YUCK! (ok, that's just a personal taste thing) It's got to be hard enough maintaining a Linux version of their software, so this doesn't surprise me terribly much. What does, however, kind of surprise me, is the fact that there was really no notification about this, it just kind of went unpublished as it were.
__________________
WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to your WHMCS install!
WHMCS User and IP Extended Control - Take control of your WHMCS install
Linux admin, WHMCS Guru for hire. PM me for more information
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   05-18-2016, 08:38 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 811

Status: Alex HubRocket is offline
I remember from previous communications with WHMCS, Windows was never really supported. Just that it was compatible with some playing / tweaking around.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   05-18-2016, 11:52 AM
HD Master
 
whmcsguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 285
Send a message via Skype™ to whmcsguru

Status: whmcsguru is offline
Yeah, it's still compatible, they just removed the supported bit.
__________________
WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to your WHMCS install!
WHMCS User and IP Extended Control - Take control of your WHMCS install
Linux admin, WHMCS Guru for hire. PM me for more information
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   05-18-2016, 11:58 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmcsguru View Post
Yeah, it's still compatible, they just removed the supported bit.
i would say that this

Quote:
Windows based configurations may experience compatibility issues
implies it is not compatible with newer versions of windows, but may work on older versions of windows
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   05-18-2016, 04:20 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
i would say that this implies it is not compatible with newer versions of windows, but may work on older versions of windows
Could be - Windows is a multi-flavored beast, yet necessary for some types of sites.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   05-18-2016, 04:27 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiSteve View Post
Could be - Windows is a multi-flavored beast, yet necessary for some types of sites.
but you dont need WHMCS to run any site.

if you have client sites on a windows server, you could have WHMCS on an openVZ server.

It is always best to have WHMCS on a separate server to clients sites, so if an issue arises with the server clients are on, then you can still contact clients as your management system is on a separate server.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 07:37 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
but you dont need WHMCS to run any site.

if you have client sites on a windows server, you could have WHMCS on an openVZ server.

It is always best to have WHMCS on a separate server to clients sites, so if an issue arises with the server clients are on, then you can still contact clients as your management system is on a separate server.
I agree and excuse my arrogance but I would never trust a host who can not run a linux server to run my servers/websites even if they are provisioned on windows I want them to have some knowledge of the most used OS for servers.
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 08:25 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdedicated View Post
I agree and excuse my arrogance but I would never trust a host who can not run a linux server to run my servers/websites even if they are provisioned on windows I want them to have some knowledge of the most used OS for servers.
To me Windows servers are for specialist hosting while Linux servers are for general hosting.

I have never used or ever intend to use a windows server
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 09:18 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
To me Windows servers are for specialist hosting while Linux servers are for general hosting.

I have never used or ever intend to use a windows server
I see you are As loyal to Linux as they come. hehehe Not that I am any less loyal. I even booted windows from my Laptop four years now.
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 09:53 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdedicated View Post
I see you are As loyal to Linux as they come. hehehe Not that I am any less loyal. I even booted windows from my Laptop four years now.
i still use windows 10 on my PC and was part of the beta technical preview for 10.

But i dont see the point in paying for a windows server when you have no need for its specialist features.

i am even considering getting a Mac PC after my recent issue with Microsoft spending 3 weeks trying to hack into one of my servers and them totally ignoring my reports until i made a report to Actionfraud and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau who called me and spent 2 hrs on the phone going over all the hack reports and their lack of replies. since then no further hack attempts by microsoft.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 10:39 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post

i am even considering getting a Mac PC after my recent issue with Microsoft spending 3 weeks trying to hack into one of my servers and them totally ignoring my reports until i made a report to Actionfraud and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau who called me and spent 2 hrs on the phone going over all the hack reports and their lack of replies. since then no further hack attempts by microsoft.
Now that is very interesting
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 10:53 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdedicated View Post
Now that is very interesting
It is and what the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau is that more likely someone was using MS servers to try and hack in to my servers, but they would have expected MS too have replied to the reports even to say they had received them and looking into it, but their silence was a concern to the NFIB it was if they were aware what they were doing.
The NFIB told me they have the power to place a UK block on their IPS if needed. ( which i dare say would have been a nightware to MS if they did this)
Strange was as soon as the NFIB got involved these stopped
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 756
Send a message via AIM to cheapdedicated Send a message via Yahoo to cheapdedicated Send a message via Skype™ to cheapdedicated

Status: cheapdedicated is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
It is and what the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau is that more likely someone was using MS servers to try and hack in to my servers, but they would have expected MS too have replied to the reports even to say they had received them and looking into it, but their silence was a concern to the NFIB it was if they were aware what they were doing.
The NFIB told me they have the power to place a UK block on their IPS if needed. ( which i dare say would have been a nightware to MS if they did this)
Strange was as soon as the NFIB got involved these stopped
I accept that it smells a rotten rat that they never took interest that "someone" was being reported on their network doing fraudulent acts. One wouldnt be condemned to think they had interest.
__________________
Techsys Ltd | Dedicated Servers | V.P.S | Free Plesk Panel
G8 Servers cPanel Reseller VPS Reseller Dedicated Server Resellers

G8 Host Cheap Domains | Shared Hosting | SSL
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   05-21-2016, 02:02 AM
HD Master
 
zomex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 342

Status: zomex is offline
I think this is a good move by WHMCS. I've seen multiple threads of issues with Windows servers they must have found supporting Windows not worth the time. This is good for the rest of us as it means more focus on new features etc
__________________
Zomex ~ In business since 2009 and still going strong!
Web hosting templates - Allowing you to > start a web hosting reseller business
█ #1 responsive whmcs templates | whmcs integration | whmcs configuration
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   05-21-2016, 02:16 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomex View Post
I think this is a good move by WHMCS. I've seen multiple threads of issues with Windows servers they must have found supporting Windows not worth the time. This is good for the rest of us as it means more focus on new features etc
I knew WHMCS was wasting their time when they decided to develop the Windows mobile app rather than upgrade what they already had as even Microsoft knew Window phones was a lemon and now MS have scaled down win. phones and ditched their agreement with nokia.

Windows servers etc are just a waste.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: