Hosting Discussion

Hosting Discussion (http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/)
-   Billing and Accounting (http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/billing-accounting/)
-   -   What should i use? (http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/billing-accounting/44612-what-should-i-use.html)


FibreHost 05-03-2017 07:38 AM

What should i use?
 
I'm currently using WHMCS as i purchased the owned licence in like 2013 or something. But having to constantly purchase for updates and support i feel is wrong when i paid a lot to have it owned... I feel like there would be a better software like Clientexec to use compared to WHMCS but I'm not sure. whats everyone's opinion?

bigredseo 05-03-2017 05:58 PM

Here's the thing about purchasing software, if you don't need the new features (or support), you don't have to renew.

I purchased WHMCS back in 2005 I guess is when they started (I'm sure I used something before them). Anyway, I believe my price was $49 or something.

The software has come a LONG way since then. It's not fair that they can't make any more money given that I purchased it so long ago.

I don't believe in the one payment system. There's no reason to advance the software when it's a one and done.

I also have an Owned Licence for Kayako - The EVERYTHING version from back in 2004/2005 also. I want to say I spent $50 on that too, unlimited users etc, LIFETIME updates (even today). The last "purchase" price I saw for it was in excess of $1,000, but it looks like they've now gone to a monthly only system.

Photoshop is the same way. I pay $50/month for ALL Adobe software, regular updates, *OR* I can use my Photoshop 2.0 from 10+ years ago - I think the last suite I purchased was near $3k before moving to the monthly model.

Localnode 05-03-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FibreHost (Post 199539)
I'm currently using WHMCS as i purchased the owned licence in like 2013 or something. But having to constantly purchase for updates and support i feel is wrong when i paid a lot to have it owned... I feel like there would be a better software like Clientexec to use compared to WHMCS but I'm not sure. whats everyone's opinion?

Clientexec - owned costs about $500 directly from them, then there is the $50 per year for support and updates.

WHMCS is more per year, but it also offers a lot more than Clientexec.
Both are really good, though. However, WHMCS offers a lot more in terms of plugins than Clientexec.

The other options are Blesta and HostBill.
Blesta charges $250 for their owned branded version. Updates and support are $39 per year. Alternatively, you can choose their $500 version and never pay for updates and support.
HostBill is the most expensive at $999 for their basic version, $45 for updates and $75 per ticket. You can buy a ticket pack at $999 for 50 tickets. There has been some feedback regarding bug fixes taking a rather long time.

easyhostmedia 05-04-2017 03:33 AM

If you read it you are paying for an owned licence with 12 months updates and support.

but know they dont offer owned licence they offer scaled monthly licences depending on the amount of clients you have

https://www.whmcs.com/pricing/

HostLeet 05-04-2017 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigredseo (Post 199780)
Here's the thing about purchasing software, if you don't need the new features (or support), you don't have to renew.

I purchased WHMCS back in 2005 I guess is when they started (I'm sure I used something before them). Anyway, I believe my price was $49 or something.

The software has come a LONG way since then. It's not fair that they can't make any more money given that I purchased it so long ago.

I don't believe in the one payment system. There's no reason to advance the software when it's a one and done.

I also have an Owned Licence for Kayako - The EVERYTHING version from back in 2004/2005 also. I want to say I spent $50 on that too, unlimited users etc, LIFETIME updates (even today). The last "purchase" price I saw for it was in excess of $1,000, but it looks like they've now gone to a monthly only system.

Photoshop is the same way. I pay $50/month for ALL Adobe software, regular updates, *OR* I can use my Photoshop 2.0 from 10+ years ago - I think the last suite I purchased was near $3k before moving to the monthly model.

Have you tired GIMPshop instead of Photoshop?:agree: I haven't used PS since I learned about GIMP.

https://www.gimpshop.com/

easyhostmedia 05-04-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HostLeet (Post 199796)
Have you tired GIMPshop instead of Photoshop?:agree: I haven't used PS since I learned about GIMP.

https://www.gimpshop.com/

i just use photopea online

vpsnet 05-05-2017 05:06 AM

Personally, I would recommend WHMCS as it has tons of features and fast development. However you can always request a trial of both script and try both of them and see which script you like the most!

easyhostmedia 05-05-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vpsnet (Post 200608)
Personally, I would recommend WHMCS as it has tons of features and fast development. However you can always request a trial of both script and try both of them and see which script you like the most!

WHMCS dont do trials anymore. you only get a 30 day MBG

bigredseo 05-06-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HostLeet (Post 199796)
Have you tired GIMPshop instead of Photoshop?:agree: I haven't used PS since I learned about GIMP.

https://www.gimpshop.com/

I used GIMP many many years ago, back when it was still starting out - but only used it for a testing purpose so I could write an article on it.

For us, we use so much of the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere, Dreamweaver, Typekit (fonts), After Effects, and even the older Fireworks software - we use SO much of it for only $49, we'd be stupid not to pay :)

There are alternatives out there, and even Canva does a decent job for many, but for us, since I've spent 15 years working in Adobe Products, there's really no alternative in my book.

zomex 05-07-2017 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HostLeet (Post 199796)
Have you tired GIMPshop instead of Photoshop?:agree: I haven't used PS since I learned about GIMP.

https://www.gimpshop.com/

Gimp is a really good option, I'm paying around 7/month for Photoshop and feel it's good value for software I use every day.

ioZoom 05-11-2017 12:24 PM

WHMCS is updated frequently and they are owned by cPanel so you know you're getting a product that is always in active development. I don't think it's a wise move to migrate to another software over a small annual cost for the product you're getting imo.

easyhostmedia 05-11-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ioZoom (Post 207625)
they are owned by cPanel

No they are not. cPanel has a large stake in WHMCS, but Matt still owns controlling shares.

Artashes 05-11-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyhostmedia (Post 207627)
No they are not. cPanel has a large stake in WHMCS, but Matt still owns controlling shares.

A better way to phrase it would have probably been cPanel is heavily invested in WHMCS. Regardless of the actual stake size, that shows ultimate commitment.

easyhostmedia 05-11-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artashes (Post 207633)
A better way to phrase it would have probably been cPanel is heavily invested in WHMCS. Regardless of the actual stake size, that shows ultimate commitment.

true, but either way they dont own WHMCS, even though Matt seems to spend most of his time in Houston

SolaDrive 05-11-2017 08:28 PM

WHMCS is definitely the better option than say something like Clientexec. And don't get me wrong, Clientexec was great when I had used them before WHMCS. But if you don't need all the plugins and extra features WHMCS offers than maybe the cheaper price tag of Clientexec may be best for you. I'd compare the two and see what you actually need and if Clientexec offers that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.1.0