Here's what to look for in a good domain name.
. A good domain name is relatively short
. A good domain name is easy to remember
. A good domain name is NOT easily confused with others
. A good domain name is hard to misspell
. A good domain name relates to your business name
or core business.
A common problem is that people usually type in .com all the time on the web and end up on various other sites. This could be troublesome both for the business and the customer.
When you select a domain name, you are always given a list of different extensions to choose from. These extensions can help specify the type of products or services you are offering online, or your geographical location.
Here are some basic definitions of the extensions you can choose from:
- signifies "commercial". It is the most well-known extension and preferred by all commercial enterprises. The acute scarcity of unforgettable .com domain names has led to creation of several other extensions.
- signifies "network". It is generally used by internet service providers, web hosting companies, or other firms related to network or internet services.
- signifies "organization". It is commonly used by non-commercial web sites. But, at present, many businesses register their matching .org extension to their .com domain names.
- signifies "business". It is used for business web sites. There are more chances of you getting this extension because of its low current penetration.
- signifies "information". It is generally used for information sharing web sites. This too like .biz is gradually growing in popularity and there is more likelihood of you getting it.
Your first aim should be to get a perfect domain name for your website or business. Once you have done that you should then consider registering other extensions for the same domain name as well, and point them to the main domain name.