Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Domain Name Issues > Domain Name Availability Lookup?
forgot password?



Closed Thread


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   06-27-2012, 11:53 AM
HD Master
 
Zagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 366

Status: Zagor is offline
Where do you check for domain name availability? Is it dangerous to search for a name multiple times because I've heard that repeated searches on original ideas are monitored or is this an urban legend?
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Zagor For This Useful Post:
achal54 (09-04-2012)


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Urban legend.
I always do my first search using Domain dossier.
http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:
SenseiSteve (08-09-2012)


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   06-28-2012, 03:52 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117

Status: Westpoint is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
Where do you check for domain name availability? Is it dangerous to search for a name multiple times because I've heard that repeated searches on original ideas are monitored or is this an urban legend?
I have mixed feelings about that. It maybe jus an urban legend. But I experienced that pretty good domain ideas I checked on Go Daddy were almost always taken on the next day (might be hours).
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   06-28-2012, 04:45 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 56
Send a message via AIM to webservsol Send a message via MSN to webservsol Send a message via Yahoo to webservsol Send a message via Skype™ to webservsol

Status: webservsol is offline
Don't worry there are no cache for domain search though nobody will know what ideas and domains you are searching for at the end you are protected by ICANN.

Try this link for Bulk Search
http://www.spotname.net/domain.php?a...k_registration

Also try this as a Name Suggestion Tool:
http://www.spotname.net/domain.php?a...domain_suggest

Good luck!
__________________
Web Services Solutions Group managed by ZDC Corporation
Anix Host - Web & Reseller Hosting,Cloud Servers,Dedicated Servers,Managed VPS
Suit Domains. - Domain Reselling,Web & Reseller Hosting,SSL Cert.,Sitebuilder
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to webservsol For This Useful Post:
SenseiSteve (08-09-2012)


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   06-28-2012, 05:55 AM
HD Wizard
 
ldcdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ploiesti
Posts: 3,112

Status: ldcdc is offline
Some registrars were quick to register domain names that people searched for on their site (one search was enough). I specifically recall of Networksolutions doing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network..._front_running
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to ldcdc For This Useful Post:
SenseiSteve (08-09-2012)


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117

Status: Westpoint is offline
It is surprising that even Network Solutions practices this. They seems to do it for a good reason but.... Anyway, I think the best place to check availability of a domain name is Whois.
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   07-05-2012, 02:27 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 63

Status: VMhosts-Gordon is offline
I'm not sure who would be monitoring this and why. There is value to having a good domain name however having a good product/service is much better.
Isn't there some law against registering doamins or holding them to ranson for cash? Might be wrong on that though!
__________________
www.VMhosts.co.uk - "Cloud hosting within reach"
SSD Auto Tier, 24x7x365 Support, Tier 3 UK Datacentre, Clustered Raid10 storage, Powered by OnApp
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 141

Status: don19 is offline
I usually use this one

http://www.domaintools.com/buy/domain-search/
__________________
ECVPS - High Quality service, Free port monitor , Fully Managed Service
Website : http://www.ecvps.com || VPS Hosting, 24/7 Ticket Support & Live Chat
Call Us : +852 3485 0037
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to don19 For This Useful Post:
SenseiSteve (08-09-2012)


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   08-01-2012, 01:02 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15

Status: alphine is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
Where do you check for domain name availability? Is it dangerous to search for a name multiple times because I've heard that repeated searches on original ideas are monitored or is this an urban legend?
There are no restrictions on multiple domain searches. Any domain registrar will allow you to check domain names on multiple times. I was using checkdomain.com for sometime. But they seem to be getting the information from godaddy.
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   08-09-2012, 03:39 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9

Status: gmotech003 is offline
Hi,

Its quite odd that they have the cache to monitor domain name search, but let me suggest you to look up http://www.mxtoolbox.com/.

Hope this inputs helps you.
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Posts: 35
Send a message via Skype™ to DJAB Hosting

Status: DJAB Hosting is offline
Network Solutions did this (don't know if they still do or not) but the term is called "front running".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network..._front_running
__________________
Andrew Benson - DJAB Hosting
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Unmanaged & Managed VPSs (OpenVZ & Xen), Dedicated Servers, Pittsburgh Colocation, and more!
www.DJABHosting.com - Business Class Hosting Solutions Since 2009
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 26

Status: Amit_Tutishost is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
Where do you check for domain name availability? Is it dangerous to search for a name multiple times because I've heard that repeated searches on original ideas are monitored or is this an urban legend?
Most of the time it happens that the domain you searched most of the times are being monitored and being acquired by some other webhosting providers so that they can resell that domain to you at high prices......
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43

Status: GeekGhost is offline
Internet.bs is also a good choice. You can also see the Whois if it is registered.
__________________
GeekGhost.net - Hosting - Design - Server Administration
Shared - Reseller - Reseller_lite - Uber Plans - Dedicated Servers
cPanel/Softaculous/99.9% uptime guarantee across ALL services.
30min Initial Response SLA! Spooky Fast Servers! 24/7/365 Support!
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   11-09-2012, 02:21 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,685
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGhost View Post
Internet.bs is also a good choice.
if they are that good then why many posts on WHT about their bad practices and if you google Internet.bs scam you will see many topics on their bad service
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 43

Status: GeekGhost is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
if they are that good then why many posts on WHT about their bad practices and if you google Internet.bs scam you will see many topics on their bad service
Everyone's experience is different and that goes with any product or service. Personally, never had a problem with them. I'm giving my opinion based on MY experience. We have several domains with them. Never an issue over the last 2 years. Not one.

There are many people who have had an issue with Paypal, yet many people still use and recommend them. Would you say the same thing to someone suggesting Paypal based on their experience?

Fact of the matter is, you'll find negative and positive on just about any product or service because a single entity can't possible be right for 100% of the populace.

Many people have complaints about GoDaddy's practices, yet they're still the largest registrar.

Based on MY experience, I wholeheartedly recommend Internet.bs and stand by that recommendation.
__________________
GeekGhost.net - Hosting - Design - Server Administration
Shared - Reseller - Reseller_lite - Uber Plans - Dedicated Servers
cPanel/Softaculous/99.9% uptime guarantee across ALL services.
30min Initial Response SLA! Spooky Fast Servers! 24/7/365 Support!
 
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: