Keeping in mind that anything sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
has to be forwarded to email@example.com
From a third party email account, I tested by sending two test messages to firstname.lastname@example.org
, neither of which were received by email@example.com
From the same third party email account, I sent a test message directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
, to see whether the problem is also with that account, but that wasn't the case - the message was received without issue.
Direct emails are sent fine, emails through forwarder for some reason are not.
Just logged into the server: "Apache SpamAssassin™ is currently disabled."
I will ask the host to check the exim logs and spamd configuration.