Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > HostingDiscussion Community > General Discussion > WHT not supporting long time member
forgot password?



Closed Thread


Old
  Post #31 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:02 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 24

Status: Aussie Bob is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
How are you able to "guarantee" this Bob?
Well, "guarantee" is probably not the right word there. I can't speak for all the dozens of WHT mods, but from my understanding, there's no coverup with the WHT leadership trying to defend Gen-T as "their own". There are other factors involved.
__________________
Dotable.com Dot your domains™ Multiple Domain Hosting
With proven industry experience, success and integrity, since 2001
 
 


Old
  Post #32 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:05 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18

Status: inogenius is offline
Quote:
The same reason perhaps that makes me think that they support Unmetered Ads perhaps althought their rules clearly state they are against them? I mean with that example could you not agree that is a double standard of sorts of WHT/INets part? And once one double standard is set I think it can be safe to assume that there MIGHT...JUUUUST might be another double standard of sorts correct?
I'm not going to get into a debate on the WHT rules, and their specific meaning as this is an entirely different issue. However as far as I know, WHT only had banned unlimited advertisements, not unmetered. Now depending on your definition you may consider them one in the same, but that's depending on YOUR definition, not WHT's definition which is what they go by.

What happened between Vito, and Gen-T is an issue of entirely different standards, and one that no rule could cover, or that anyone could expect.
 
 


Old
  Post #33 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:07 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 328

Status: Senad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by inogenius
I'm not going to get into a debate on the WHT rules, and their specific meaning as this is an entirely different issue. However as far as I know, WHT only had banned unlimited advertisements, not unmetered. Now depending on your definition you may consider them one in the same, but that's depending on YOUR definition, not WHT's definition which is what they go by.
Actually unmetered advertisments are not allowed to be posted in their advertisement area and yet they allow them in banner ads? Sounds like a double standard to me if I ever did see one .
__________________
PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
High Quality Services at a very competitive price!
 
 


Old
  Post #34 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:07 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
Do you have any evidence to back that up? I would be really interested in knowing if some of the WHT Leaders do actually get paid.

I no longer have the evidence in my posession, but I have received numerous email newsletters from iNet, speaking about various mods being placed on the iNet payroll, and as I remember, not just WHT.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 


Old
  Post #35 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:10 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18

Status: inogenius is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senad
Actually unmetered advertisments are not allowed to be posted in their advertisement area and yet they allow them in banner ads? Sounds like a double standard to me if I ever did see one .
I do recall unlimited advertisements being banned, but not unmetered. I did just double check the rules to see if I was wrong, and they have been modified in August, so it's possible that they did remove that portion. I don't know though, I never touched that area of the market.

However like I said, this is an entirely different issue.
 
 


Old
  Post #36 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:11 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 26

Status: Immortal9 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
I no longer have the evidence in my posession, but I have received numerous email newsletters from iNet, speaking about various mods being placed on the iNet payroll, and as I remember, not just WHT.
Email spoofing is quite common these days. iNET would never do such a thing, even if it did indeed exist.
__________________
Tyler Cole
 
 


Old
  Post #37 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:13 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18

Status: inogenius is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMMark
I no longer have the evidence in my posession, but I have received numerous email newsletters from iNet, speaking about various mods being placed on the iNet payroll, and as I remember, not just WHT.
If the WHT mods are paid (as far as I know, they're aren't, but I don't care if they are) change one's judgement? WHT advertisers have been banned before so clearly there isn't a conflict of interest between the two.
 
 


Old
  Post #38 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:14 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 328

Status: Senad is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by inogenius
I do recall unlimited advertisements being banned, but not unmetered. I did just double check the rules to see if I was wrong, and they have been modified in August, so it's possible that they did remove that portion. I don't know though, I never touched that area of the market.

However like I said, this is an entirely different issue.
While you might see it as a different issue the entire point I brought this up was to show that WHT does hold double standards for its own rules and that one could hence assume they MIGHT hold a double standard for the people upon WHT. Like Aussie Bob for example, I think he's an awesome guy who brings a lot to any community he joins, but if there was a problem I wouldn't doubt them backing Aussie Bob up to some point or being more lenient with him upon his punishment (unlike some new guy who would receive much harsher punishment). Although this is most likely not going to happen as Aussie Bob has proven himself a good community member and a gentlemen it's just an example. Don't take offense Aussie Bob I'm still a fan .
__________________
PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
High Quality Services at a very competitive price!
 
 


Old
  Post #39 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:38 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 328

Status: Senad is offline
It took some searching but I found it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT RULES
No unlimited space or unlimited bandwidth offers. This includes un-metered bandwidth offers not clearly advertising a bandwidth cap. Posting such offers will lead to your post being removed and your account being suspended.
http://webhostingtalk.com/announcement.php?f=4&a=51

YET we see unmetered advertisement ads all over the place at WHT . So it's safe to assume that they DO have some sort of double standards...whether it be money...ads... or people...
__________________
PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
High Quality Services at a very competitive price!
 
 


Old
  Post #40 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
I do believe the purpose of this thread, as well as the thread at WHT was to bring Gen-T actions out in the open.

If WHT's motives for removing the thread were based on keeping the thread clean, then I still don't think I could go along with that. It could have simply been closed, and his apology left as it was.

I agree that it is important to keep the forum clean, but not remove the evidence all together, as though the issue never occurred. Tim posted his thread on his own behalf. No one forced him to do so. His post not only provided evidence against him, but may have actually pulled other out into the open, that he may have contacted and done the same thing to. I'm not sure what WHT's reasons were, but to pretend it never happened, and to stop people from communicating about it at all, as though it didn't happen, is in my view the same as WHT supporting his actions. Quite possibly they didn't portray their acceptance of his actions on purpose, but that is certainly the way it has been perceived.

My question, which is at the root of the topic of this post is....

If they're not support his actions or trying to "protect" him, then why do WHT mods allow threads to be started, and continued until they fade away on their own, bashing and slandering other members? For example, I was a target of this precise exercise.

Members were allowed to hijack the thread, call me every name in the book, and they got away with it. When I spoke to Dennis about it, and explained the situation, he basically responded calling me a liar, and telling me how I was a ripoff artist, etc. Imagine how that felt, knowing that I was being as straight forward and honest as I could be. They allowed the thread to continue, and continued to allow the two members in question to hijack the thread (one of which did not receive a logo because they openly requested and wanted me to rip another designer's work, and had their nerver to call me unethical).

Yes, I have some bitterness about that, as they allowed people to attack my personal character, without any basis, and then Dennis himself turned around and attacked me.

Personally, yes...it adds fuel to a fire that I already have burning.

This topic is primarily about Tim and his actions, but it's also about WHT's actions.

I full understand that WHT has no authority over legal matters, but they do have authority about what they allow, and what they do not allow. While they are supposed to treat every like case the same, they don't, and that's what this all boils down to. I think a lot of this based on that common knowledge as well.

If they deleted ALL bashing threads, etc then this one would have been seen as "Oh yeah, I knew they would", but when so many people see it happening that they don't take the same action, it would definately lead one to believe that there is something behind the fact that they chose to remove "this one"
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 


Old
  Post #41 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
Quote:
If the WHT mods are paid (as far as I know, they're aren't, but I don't care if they are) change one's judgement? WHT advertisers have been banned before so clearly there isn't a conflict of interest between the two.
I truly don't care if they're paid either. I feel that the honest hard working mods there, deserve something for their hard work.

However, comparing mods with advertisers is like comparing apples to oranges.

1. Paying a mod, and then banning them, requires a little more than clicking the ban button, as they are an employee, not a volunteer.

2. There is obviously a minor double standard in most places, when it comes to their moderator team. There has to be, to an extent, as they need to retain a level of control, authority, and respect. At WHT you can see this, not everytime, but a lot of times, when someone feels the need to publicly display their distaste for iNet, WHT, or a WHT mod. The thread is removed or closed. They then urge you in private to continue the discussion in private. What if you really want everyone to know what you think?

I know discussion forums are not the domain for freedom of speech, but it tends to remind me a lot of the portion of the Patriot Act that basically says "Oh yes, you have complete freedom of speech, and can say anything you want, except...this, and this, and this, and that, and this, and this, and this, and that, and that, and this, and this, and you most certainly cannot express your distaste for the people you pay to run this country or you go to jail. You also have the right to privacy, unless we all of a sudden feel the need to let an authority figure come into your house, without cause, or warrant and invade that."
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 


Old
  Post #42 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 11:07 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
Quote:
Email spoofing is quite common these days. iNET would never do such a thing, even if it did indeed exist.
Not sure I understand how email spoofing comes into play here. Why would anyone send a spoof email regarding the great new properties that iNet has acquired, etc? I mean yeah, if I received an email from iNet telling me about all the Viagra I could get for free, then yeah, it would only make sense that the email was spoofed.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 


Old
  Post #43 (permalink)   11-20-2005, 11:51 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 252
Send a message via ICQ to CrazyTech Send a message via MSN to CrazyTech

Status: CrazyTech is offline
I noticed the question was raised as to why banning Gen-T would accomplish anything. I'm sure you're well aware of the number of minors that frequent that board daily. That's a known fact.

I can say that I am dissappointed with the response of WHT thus far for several reasons. If anybody ever threatened someone with this degree of sickness it's obvious that they should be removed from the forum - especially when the forum is frequented by many minors and they are in a position of power. This is regardless of whether they are a mod, advisor or admin. It becomes an issue at WHT as soon as it's brought on the forum.

Mods are supposedly unpaid so why is there any reason for not immediately removing a user who threatens to sexually molest someone? The individual has even admitted to it in a thread which was deleted for some odd reason or another.

Also, another thing I find funny here is that we're arguing over a double standard not being there. Kindly go to the WHT website and you'll see the unmetered space ads and then direct yourself to the ad forums.

Quote:
No unlimited space or unlimited bandwidth offers. This includes un-metered bandwidth offers not clearly advertising a bandwidth cap. Posting such offers will lead to your post being removed and your account being suspended.
There's your double standard. As long as you pay, we'll look the other way. It may be apples to oranges but I'm sure you can see why it leads some to question motives at WHT.

Just another interesting line while you're at it...

Quote:
We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.
__________________
Denver Hunter | Idologic Inc. | Logically Connected
High Quality Reseller and Dedicated Hosting

A different kind of hosting company since 2003!
 
 


Old
  Post #44 (permalink)   11-21-2005, 12:05 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
Quote:
We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.
This only depends on the title under your username.
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 


Old
  Post #45 (permalink)   11-21-2005, 12:57 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5

Status: ub3r is offline
Tim needs help. Condeming him after he's apologized isn't going to help him get over his problem. The guy was drunk when he wrote those statements. Tim admitted in his post that he has a drinking problem.

How do you think being banished from a community he loves is going to help him? I think we should all stop condeming him, and help the guy out. It's obvious he gets angry when he drinks. How about just offering him help when he sends these menacing emails?

Just give the guy a chance to get some help. It's not like he showed up at your doorstep and challenged you to a fight. He sent out an email from his home that's an entire country away. If you actually think he's a threat, you're wrong. The guy just has a problem.
 
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: