Does Running a Forum Help?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
While more web hosts choose to run their online forums for sales/support issues, other hosts tend to not rush with the idea.

Does running a forum actually helps the company in terms of customer response, research, increased profitability? Since the forum requires a lot of time and maintenance, is this actually a good idea in general? Does it pay-off?

Best,

Hasnt been too successful for us and I think it all depends on what type clientele you have.
We've actually had about 3 forums and couldnt keep a consistent flow of activity going so closed them.
Funny thing, not one client has ever requested them.

Martie said:
Funny thing, not one client has ever requested them.

Wow, that just might be the most surprising statement. Usually people are so for things that would close them with a company, give them one more access to get help/support/whatever it might be. Must be the audience without any problems there! :p

The participation in our forums isn't so great however I like to post in their a lot so new customers know what's up and the quality of support we provide and have a big resource for common questions and issues.

ryaneinsites said:
The participation in our forums isn't so great however I like to post in their a lot so new customers know what's up and the quality of support we provide and have a big resource for common questions and issues.
Why do you bring topics back that are over three month old, this is the fifth one I have seen from you?

TheOrbit, considering the subject of this thread is somewhat long-lived, its okay to address it, if it is still just as actual today as it was a year ago.

OK.. Since Artashes allowed the thread to live, lets add to it.

Since I'm not a host, I cannot say if running a forum helps the host, but since I have a keen interest in the shopping experience, I must say that I like it when a host has a lively support forum, even if it's not entirely dedicated to support/presale questions etc.

As a prospective customer you get to read how things were solved, how fast they were addressed (though that's not always a good measure because of PMs and because some hosts clearly tell their customers that the forums are not manned 24/7), if the customer was treated with respect and if the customer was satisfied with the solution.

If things are kept in order, I believe a forum can be a great tool to close more sales. It says "this is how we handle things" and it allows non-customers to get a feel of how it is when you are customer of that particular host.

Yes if we are allowed to add to it I will say the following:

Forums help a business very much. A community helps keep the customers within your hosting company. If forums are not active then you should figure out ways to keep them active. Forums can be great but also remember, companies can delete bad threads and such whenever they feel like it which can give customers "innapropriate" opinons.

Last edited:
I'm working on my forum design now but I'm not sure if I want to actually implement it.
It would give people bad vibes to see a host in business for over a year but not have active members on the forum.

It would but some people look at it as that the host is truley doing a good job. No Tickets or support on the forums means nothing really negative. I personally don't want to touch the forums since the design itself matches the website plus I like to upgrade all of our programs to the latest stable versions ;).

Well... an empty support forum gives the (sometimes wrong) impression that the host has very few customers and/or hasn't been in the business for long. An active forum is the aim and that means building a customers community, allowing and encouraging them to discuss on various other topics than just "support" or "hosting".

Blue said:
I'm working on my forum design now but I'm not sure if I want to actually implement it.
It would give people bad vibes to see a host in business for over a year but not have active members on the forum.
Blue, you can always explain to them that this is a new feature and invite/recommend to all clients to join the community, meet each other, share tips, etc. And you can always show the date of your company launch and your forum launch. Finally, some prizes for active participation may be given out.

True.
I really hate to email clients with non essential issues though. Even if it is a new service.

I have used forums on my company and no one seems to need them I guess client area is enough for them. Maybe this can be a good idea on really large companies where you have all kind of different clients.

Maybe this can be a good idea on really large companies where you have all kind of different clients.
Or maybe it's exactly the opposite: the clients should have common interests (like we do here). Say 80% of them are resellers (think httpme), they will have common goals and they might be willing to try and learn from one another.

Now, if you have more clients, the forums stand a better chance to get busy. That's obvious.

However, you must build the forum, be active in it. Like Artashes did way back in 07-01-2003 when he started this very thread: create interest, ask questions, propose subjects. In a way you have to work on being a host and work on building a busy forum at the same time. You cannot put the forum there and answer only support requests, hoping the rest of it will grow by itself. :)

Last edited:
I believe Community Forums, Show that the hosting company is dedicated to the client. It allows the customer to see that people are with the host, and how they are feeling about this host, through their responses. Another reason I think community forums helps the hosting company, as it allows the employs to have a 1 on 1 relationship with the client, I do not think that hosting companies should be limited to just the business aspect, but making friends aswell.

I think it all depends on what you are selling/advertising...An E-commerce web-site might not really have much point in having their own web-site, whereas a software/development house...WOULD.

My Web-Host (Globat.com) recently opened up a 'insiders' forum where developers can jump in and ask questions, however they dont want to use it as a support center. Some people find it very boring to have to use up to 9 links to get their information, whereas they could just use a Live Chat or pick up the phone. For that reason, it is possibly, not the best idea to use a Forum for Support purposes, but for Genral Chatter and development, there isn't much that can beat it!

~Equinox

You should ask this question from yourself whether the forum is really needed? As creating forum is easy but creating community on it and managing it seems quite difficult. If you run forum on your site, keep it active as a dead forum can drive away the customers.

peter phillips said:
As creating forum is easy but creating community on it and managing it seems quite difficult. If you run forum on your site, keep it active as a dead forum can drive away the customers.

Very true. Forum may have discussion area,knowledge base, announcents, and many other sections. Once it is active it should be monitored closely, to gain from it :agree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hostys