Appraisal please ... myheredity.com

pmhoran

I bought the domains when I was thinking of a potential home based business ... webspace for genealogy (family tree) sites. Currently I own

MyHeredity.com
MyHeredity.net
MyHeredity.org
MyHeredity.info
MyHeredity.ca

Should I maybe install something on the sites so it would maybe look like I am intending on actually starting something ... then maybe try to put the bug in one of the "big guys" ears about the site and name. Hoping they will offer significant $$$ for the names just so I DON'T start up???

Or otherwise ... you think the names are worth anything??? Right now ... the only one that I am actually using ... but only temporarily ... is the .ca version (for my own family tree).

Any thoughts, suggestions ... appraisals???

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:
PS ... seems there is only ONE "big guy" who apparently owns all or most of the domains that are applicable. Its "My Family.com Inc" in Provo Utah ... which I think are the Mormons or LDS ... must be because its the same owner for Ancestry.com that is the LDS owned/operated site.

You think it would be "proper protocol" for me to fire off an email to them asking if they would like to purchase the sites??? And if so ... ask them to make me an offer I cannot refuse???? :)

Peter

Last edited:
I'm generally not a fan of unsolicited email, but I don't really see the harm in sending them a note asking if they are interested in the domain.

Thanks for the response BLUE ...

Anyone else with an appraisal or want to share their thoughts???

Peter

I used ebay to sell some of my extra domains. A day after I posted the domains on ebay I started getting all kinds of solicitations for purchasing domains... just a thought.

Well ... its been almost a month since I fired off an email to the "company" or "organisation" I thought might be most interested.

I was ignored. No surprise there I guess.

I checked out selling the domains at Afternic.com & Sedo ... but it looks like I'd have to sell them individually ... not as a package of 4 or 5.

Checked out WhereToLook's suggestion of eBay ... but ... with my cognitive dysfunction I don't understand any of what I was seeing. Even after 6 or so visits. Thankfully I have never had to try to buy anything ... I would have landed myself in a padded room hehehee

And besides ... I still have absolutely NO idea what I should even be asking in the way of $$$. I obviously want to make as much as possible ... especially since I just renewed the danged things for another year. Just couldn't let them go :)

Ahhh heck. I have no idea what to do or how to do it. Isn't it fun being me :)

Peter

Ahhh heck. I have no idea what to do or how to do it. Isn't it fun being me :)

Peter

Yup, I wanna be you when I grow up :)

Sorry for all the confusion. I tried ebay many times and seemed to at least give me ideas on pricing for domains.

For just the domains i would probably say that they would be worth $10-20 each. If they are developed, that is completely different. How much is your work on them worth to you? :rolleyes:

pmhoran - domain are actually quite valueless. since anyone can buy one for under $10, names really have no value. I have 2 domains that I thought would be quite valueable. one being e-commerceinc.com. But its worthless.

The domains would be worth more if there was an associated website. But other than the name, there is nothing to offer.

I routinely buy domains, set up a 5 page website on my hosting system complete with shopping cart, then sell them for $25. I do that to get hosting clients. But my point is, even an e-commerce ready site is lucky to bring me $25.

Tried selling many on ebay for $10 (an entire website) and had no luck.

Sometimes you can get luck and someone needs the name and will pay for it. In that case, $1500 is a good number. But these guys selling domains for $50,000.00 with no website are on crack! Its just not happening. But there are pleanty of sites that will charge you to list it for sale and foster your dream.

My advice. Let them expire and save the renewal fees. I let domains expire daily and buy new ones. Its just not worth paying to hold onto a dream.

Guess this "old dog" still has some stuff he's got to learn about domain names :)

Just figured the name would be marketable and sought after by anyone wishing to open a family tree/genealogy site ... whether providing hosting options or a service.

Most of the "obvious" domain names that would be applicable to the industry are gone. So figured to have a domain name with all the top level extensions would be desirable.

I guess its a case of ... they are worth something only if you happen across someone who wants that name.

Oh well. Maybe I will hang onto them and sometime in the future be able to actually follow through on the ideas I had when I first bought them :)

Thanks again for the input
Peter

- domain: myheredity
- tld: net
- length: 10
- myheredity contains no hyphens
- myheredity contains no digits

Adjusted for word count of 2:
Total internet occurrence value : 60
Total internet market value : 0
Search frequency value : 3.6
Proper Name Value : 3