Are curved monitors a gimmick?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
I am considering upgrading my 5-year old desktop monitor from a flat 27" widescreen LCD with 1920x1080 resolution to curved 34" LG/Dell/BenQ/whatever ultrawide with 3440 x 1440 resolution.

I work mostly online and with Office files (with occasional video editing) and I've been annoyed that I cannot really snap two browsers into equal screen share (to imitate dual display) because neither would be displayed wide enough to view page content. :crash:

So, given that a new display will be even wider, I am wondering if curved format displays are worth the premium price they are commanding. Would hate it if I fell for a gimmick and paid 30-40% more on top of it.

What monitor do you work on and how do you find it?

Particularly interested in hearing from those of you with experience working on curved displays - does it really make a difference if the monitor wasn't curved vs curved?

Thanks!

I wouldn't say they are a gimmick - as they probably aren't going anywhere soon. Theoretically speaking, they would be better for gaming - as they would provide a more immersive experience.
I would see no reason as to why not get the curved monitor - unless you can find something of the same specifications cheaper - with the same resolution and pixel quality. Curved monitors (and displays in general) are typically more expensive, though...

I work on triple 24" monitors.

Thank you for your reply. I do agree in the sense that curved screens are likely to stay. Given I usually stick with them for many years, might be worth the investment.
I would see no reason as to why not get the curved monitor - unless you can find something of the same specifications cheaper - with the same resolution and pixel quality.
That's actually why I am asking.
34" curved screen: $1000-1500
34" flat screen (same resolution): $600-700
Quite a difference in price to pay for a curve.

I work on triple 24" monitors.
I was always too chicken to switch to dual setup (never even dreamed of triple) because I am afraid I am going to love it too much and never be able to go back to working on a single screen.

You know, I've considered curve before, but once I started using dual screens, I'll never go back to a single screen again.

You know, I've considered curve before, but once I started using dual screens, I'll never go back to a single screen again.
That's what a lot of people prefer, but I've also heard that people are getting a little fatigued about that large bezel between screens, especially in light of so many wide and ultrawide monitors becoming available. I like being able to just split the windows by snapping browsers or other files. I just need a wider view so that I can fit at least 2 browsers together.

That's exactly what I prefer. Dual screen helps to make things go curved automatically when you place them slightly facing each other. They give a more wider view compared to a single screen.

I think these curved monitors are mainly gaming orientated. Some say there is distortion of the straight lines in the left and right peripherals which is not without a reason. Keep that in mind. If you like to game there is no doubt you should buy one, or more :)

I am still a big fan of Multiple monitors for easy opening of program and Internet browsers without having to adjust window sizes to fit.

I would say that curved monitors are just a fit and not likely to catch one. They are here to stay but I do not think they will become an industry standard. I am still waiting for the fold-able monitors where you can pack it like a book and take it with you.