Are we transitioning to IPv6

There was something I read years ago that they deemed the IPv4 to run out of IPs by 2020 - but that doesn't mean that we won't still use them. I don't think there'll be a full disable of IPv4. Too many things still use it - routers and wifi and switches in peoples homes, many of the IoT devices all use IPv4. While not the same for web hosting, they are still IPv4 records.

I'd say we're 10+ years away from a full removal of IPv4 - if it was to ever happen 100%

I think it is more likely that IPv6 and IPv4 will peacefully co-exist. Full removal of IPv4 sounds to hard to occur.

Indeed this will take a lot of time before IPv6s really see the light of day.

Once it's majority used on common deployments like web servers hopefully it will trickle drown to game servers and other niche needs.

Indeed this will take a lot of time before IPv6s really see the light of day.

Once it's majority used on common deployments like web servers hopefully it will trickle drown to game servers and other niche needs.

IPv6 is used all over the place, and likely used on your own internet connection too (mine has been IPv6 for the past year or two), and we're constantly updating firewalls with exclusions for clients and their employees - each with IPv6.

The question is the removal of IPv4 - and that, I don't think will be going away any time soon.

IPv6 is used all over the place, and likely used on your own internet connection too (mine has been IPv6 for the past year or two), and we're constantly updating firewalls with exclusions for clients and their employees - each with IPv6.

The question is the removal of IPv4 - and that, I don't think will be going away any time soon.
Eh not really, Minecraft servers (quite popular sand box game) still requires IPv4 addressing. The client cannot process AAA records for addressing and therefore an iPv4 still gotta be shared on our end.

So outside your ISP it still not majority enforced at all.

Thread has gotten a little offtrack with the original post;

But we are still not there yet at the point to let go of IPv4.
Any input as to when we will fully transition to IPv6.

IPv4 will be around for quite some time. There are various situations, as you highlighted with Minecraft and other games, where IPv6 is not supported.

Similarly, there are various hosting companies and CDNs that do support IPv6 (Cloudflare for example).

The point being, IPv4 is not going to be removed any time soon, and depending on future progress, may never actually be 100% removed.

Right now current technology implementation done via IPv4 so there is no any options yet but maybe in near future we can able to see ipv6 usage..

regards,