Bluehost

TheBoss

I had a client who used Bluehost. It was the lousiest experience I have ever had with a web hosting company.

First, they do not have free SSL certs and charge OUTRAGEOUS prices for them. The cPanel would not let me order an SSL cert, so I spent 2 days with tech support just for an SSL cert. That is two extra days of downtime and my client was about to have a coronary. The client called me three times a day exacerbated. What could I do?

Once I called tech support and they said they had to speak instead to my client. I informed them that is a lawyer and was in court in front of a judge. Did they want me to go get her? They changed their mind.

I found customer service to be incompetent and the company to be a rip-off with the SSL certs. Beware.

Bluehost is one company i would not do buisiness with to much downtime and what's up with ssl certs its free so why they just don't use let's encrypt?

Bluehost is one company i would not do buisiness with to much downtime and what's up with ssl certs its free so why they just don't use let's encrypt?

well let's encrypt maybe a free SSL . but you get no validation, but as a host you can pick up a DV like Comodo Positive SSL for $6 a year (works out $0.50 a month), so even on a cheap $2 a mth hosting plan a host could effectively offer a positive SSL free and you as a client gets a validated SSL cert.

well let's encrypt maybe a free SSL . but you get no validation, but as a host you can pick up a DV like Comodo Positive SSL for $6 a year (works out $0.50 a month), so even on a cheap $2 a mth hosting plan a host could effectively offer a positive SSL free and you as a client gets a validated SSL cert.
Good point, but the masses pay no attention to positive SSLs.

Good point, but the masses pay no attention to positive SSLs.

True, but if you are a host and stating you are giving free SSLs to your clients with their hosting packages, would you just give them Lets encrypt or Auto SSL as they are free and dont need much effort to apply or put in that little bit effort and give them a free paid SSL which will come with a validation badge that shows the SSL is validated.

That little bit of effort goes a long way in the eyes of your clients.

True, but if you are a host and stating you are giving free SSLs to your clients with their hosting packages, would you just give them Lets encrypt or Auto SSL as they are free and dont need much effort

The majority of clients wouldn't notice a difference. Heck, we still see a ton of customers (web design clients) that don't even have an SSL enabled at all!

These days, aside from GoDaddy, Bluehost and the rest of the EIG Hosting Group that charge for SSL Certs, I think everyone else is using a Let's Encrypt.

Some crazy numbers for how widespread Let's Encrypt is in use - https://censys.io/certificates/repo...parsed.issuer.organization.raw&max_buckets=50

The majority of clients wouldn't notice a difference. Heck, we still see a ton of customers (web design clients) that don't even have an SSL enabled at all!

These days, aside from GoDaddy, Bluehost and the rest of the EIG Hosting Group that charge for SSL Certs, I think everyone else is using a Let's Encrypt.

Some crazy numbers for how widespread Let's Encrypt is in use - https://censys.io/certificates/repo...parsed.issuer.organization.raw&max_buckets=50

I still get a load of sales from my SSL website for paid SSLs

I myself, while doing some web design long back had a similar experience with them.

Mostly they have a pleasant enough interface and website. Others such as the support and response are typically lousy. And the name: builds trust subconsciously.

All the EIG brands had great support until they were bought out by EIG and moved to the EIG support centre.

80+ brands all running as individual companies with their own plans etc. and all ran from 1 central support centre will also have bad support as all support staff have to know everything about all these brands which is impossible

This is why support for any EIG brand is lousy

All the EIG brands had great support until they were bought out by EIG and moved to the EIG support centre.

80+ brands all running as individual companies with their own plans etc. and all ran from 1 central support centre will also have bad support as all support staff have to know everything about all these brands which is impossible

This is why support for any EIG brand is lousy

Based on impressions of a lot of people on the internet, it seems to be true.

But still, their Marketing team seems to be awesome. :D
As even they offer average or even under average services, they are still selling a lot and they are one of the biggest in the industry.