Colocation, Dedicated or VPS?

webling

I'm wondering what is the most cost effective solution for a server. Colocation, Dedicated or VPS? I'm thinking that VPS may be a good way to begin and then later go to either colocation or dedicated with a huge hard drive in the machine.

Since you are paying for a slot in a data center with colocation you can stick as much hardware as you want in the server. With VPS you are paying for HD space and seems like it would cost a lot more. But the advantage to VPS is moving to another data center anytime you want easily because you don't have to move hardware.

I remember when I went from a Data Center in Alabama to another one on the east coast moving my VPS using cPanel was a snap. With dedicated you usually rent the server so I am assuming it would cost more than owning your own server and doing colocation.

I did run a server out of my home once but I wasn't knowledgeable in securing it and my box got cracked. So I reformatted the HD and started again. That was back in the days when we didn't have Plesk, cPanel and other nice software. I saw the day coming however when we would have software such as Plesk and cPanel and people thought I was nuts thinking it could be done.

But understanding the permissions that can be set on Linux I knew it would be possible. My first OS was RedHat Linux 5. I put my websites on it and wrote lines in the configuration files to host sites on it. I know this is long winded but there is a lot going through my mind.

Its best to start small so you dont overspend. A VPS is the best place to start.

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Very simply you should start out with a VPS and scale up to a VDS should there not be a need for bare hardware. Once you have yourself established, and a necessity arises for the need of bare hardware, you then have two options. Purchase the hardware yourself, granting you the freedom to do what you want with any specification you wish, and colocate it with a provider/data center... or you can rent a dedicated server, to which you don't have much freedom to custom spec the dedicated server as you don't own it, but you are not liable for any faulty hardware that might arise and thus can save money. IMO:
VPS > VDS > Colocation is the best way to go... but to everyone their own, just depends on circumstances.

@webling Interesting experience. We obviously understand that each of those product lines have their cons and pros. But since you've asked about most cost effective, VPS, hands down, takes the cake.

@webling Interesting experience. We obviously understand that each of those product lines have their cons and pros. But since you've asked about most cost effective, VPS, hands down, takes the cake.
This is how I am starting out. I needed to hear from other professionals just to be sure I am doing things right. I appreciate all of the replies in this thread, they are all valuable and I appreciate each person who has taken time to respond.

I'm wondering what is the most cost effective solution for a server. Colocation, Dedicated or VPS? I'm thinking that VPS may be a good way to begin and then later go to either colocation or dedicated with a huge hard drive in the machine.

Since you are paying for a slot in a data center with colocation you can stick as much hardware as you want in the server. With VPS you are paying for HD space and seems like it would cost a lot more. But the advantage to VPS is moving to another data center anytime you want easily because you don't have to move hardware.

I remember when I went from a Data Center in Alabama to another one on the east coast moving my VPS using cPanel was a snap. With dedicated you usually rent the server so I am assuming it would cost more than owning your own server and doing colocation.

I did run a server out of my home once but I wasn't knowledgeable in securing it and my box got cracked. So I reformatted the HD and started again. That was back in the days when we didn't have Plesk, cPanel and other nice software. I saw the day coming however when we would have software such as Plesk and cPanel and people thought I was nuts thinking it could be done.

But understanding the permissions that can be set on Linux I knew it would be possible. My first OS was RedHat Linux 5. I put my websites on it and wrote lines in the configuration files to host sites on it. I know this is long winded but there is a lot going through my mind.
I believe you are correct in your thinking. However, it is important to consistently uphold the hierarchical structure in your work. Always start with a cautious approach, taking firm steps, and diligently avoiding any potential issues. In my opinion, it would be advisable to initially consider a VPS, followed by a dedicated server if necessary, and eventually opt for personal hardware and colocation if required.

Its depend upon the work you will put on the server. VPS uses shared resources. Where as dedicated servers has dedicated resources. VPS is good choice for getting started only or low resource uses. About colocation, if your server has lower configuration it cost low than renting dedicated server will better choice. Because anyhow you will pay the same for renting and colocation. In colocation, if some part of the server gets damaged, you need to replace it by your own. If your server has measure traffic, it is hard to do that. You need to have inventory and for that too you need to pay for storage additionally. You need to pay for remote hand. Colocation is affordable if you are providing those server on rent to your client and you have large amount of servers.

Adding my two cents:
It's always good to start with VPS, It's budget-friendly and flexible, perfect for getting off the ground. Easy to upgrade as your needs grow. After a while you'll see the hosting team, how it reacts to any issues and so on. If you foresee a significant increase in resource demand consider future growth and be prepared to shift to dedicated or colocation options.

Make sure the host has the payment option your looking for.
I don't even think twice about a host that doesn't accept paypal or bitcoin.