Community websites require sponsored VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

raintonr

Hi all,

I am currently running a number of community websites for various groups and clubs. These are mainly concerned with outdoor sports and have no commercial interest (aside from the occasional club event for which nominal fees are charged). The sites are for groups to arrange/discuss their activities (calendar, forum, etc), share details related to their chosen sport and includes a large image gallery.

A number of these sites are for sports clubs that registered in Australian (NSW) if that helps. The rest are 'community' groups (eg. not registered clubs, but very similar in approach).

The sites are well moderated and discussion is on the whole cordial, constructive, useful and entertaining. We have a very strict abuse policy and believe the site and forums are 100% SPAM free.

I have been working as a developer and hosting these sites for free on my home office server for over 5 years now as I am a passionate believer in helping people enjoy their sports without worrying about technology. For various reasons am now looking for a more secure host. For anyone reading this who knows me and who knows the sites I'm talking about do not worry - they are secure, I am just making long term plans for the future! :)

Details of the site requirements and traffic are (combined figures from Jan 2011):

10GB Disk space (minimum site requirement O/S, logs, etc. would be additional).
30GB Transfer per month.
> 150,000 visits per month.
> 37,000 unique visitors per month.
> 2.1m page impressions.

Most of these sites are based in Australia (NSW) and around 50% of traffic is from Australian clients (21% unresolved, 12% .net, 11% .com, rest across 20 or so countries). While an Australian based host is preferred any location would be considered.

The requirement is only for a single IP address in use (Apache virtual hosting in use).
Bandwidth is currently supplied via Annex-M ADSL which is more than enough.
O/S is Centos.
App is built on LAMP stack and accelerated using APC and Memcache.

The server is currently an AMD 4850e dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, 200GB Disk. This is more than adequate and the site could probably run unchanged in half the RAM. CPU is never stretched.

I was hoping that due to the community nature of this hosting there may be a large ISP who would like to contribute to the spirit and donate a VPS for this use.

In return we can offer the usual 'powered by' link in the footer (or maybe sidebar) of every page. A small graphic would probably be appropriate if required.

I am capable of performing all sysadmin tasks - all the sponsor would have to do is provision the machine and let me know the details. In fact, I would not be against donating some of my time and industry expertise (over 20 years in development) to occasionally help out any sponsor if required in exchange for their help.

Could any ISP representatives out there that find this a fare exchange please PM me to discuss further.

If not, if anyone has any tips on how sponsorship of this kind could be secured I'd also love to hear.

Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.