Datacenter in a Bunker

Ross said:
Who really needs that type of protection.....
You get the same level of protection @ most custom built DC's
It's just that bunkers get hyped-up and priced accordingly for the truly paranoid

Ross said:
Who really needs that type of protection.....

Only the truly big companies or the truly paraniod. The ex-IBM facility that SAVVY uses was built to house mainframes for businesses in NYC, and to survive a nuclear attack on NYC. Hence it is close enough to NYC to travel there quickly and has direct connections to much of Manhatten but far enough away and underground to survive "the big one". The company I work for houses servers there since it is close to us, if there is a nuclear war I don't think the boss, myself, or any other employees are going to be too concerned with accessing our servers.

true - the em pulse will have killed off all the client machines anyhow and i *think* that most of us would be concerned with other things than our emails in the even of a nuclear strike ;)

That's so funny lol, put stuff underground and hide it, they can get protect from everything except humans, corrupted employee can still ruin everything.

TRau said:
Only the truly big companies or the truly paraniod. The ex-IBM facility that SAVVY uses was built to house mainframes for businesses in NYC, and to survive a nuclear attack on NYC. Hence it is close enough to NYC to travel there quickly and has direct connections to much of Manhatten but far enough away and underground to survive "the big one". The company I work for houses servers there since it is close to us, if there is a nuclear war I don't think the boss, myself, or any other employees are going to be too concerned with accessing our servers.

If a nuclear weapon strikes the U.S. I think my servers are the last thing I'll be thinking about heh

ANMMark said:
No way! No how, would I place our servers underground.

I can just see water or flooding filling up that entire entrance way, then filling up the entire datacenter to the roof, killing everyone and everything inside.

Not a risk I would be willing to take no way.

A bit extreme.... but anything is possible now days... right?

Well, in the USA floods are barly happening and I think they would be smart enough to place the DC in someplace that doesn't get flooded. In the USA Tornados/Hurricanes are a lot more common then flooding, but really it just depends on their location.

You are correct, it does depend on location. However, as I said before, Kentucky (at least where I was stationed) is known for floods.

Keep in mind however, that in the US there's not much flooding right now, because it's just exiting winter. We'll be moving into Spring in a few days, and then comes the rain.

02-05-2005 - Only around 5 months. Still may carry on valuable conversation, so it has been left open.

What is the number of a months required for closure? ;)

Looks like youve never heard of undergroundcolocation.com :0

Personally I think it is a risky busniess doing it under ground levels, but depending on Location it could work.

Equonix said:
What is the number of a months required for closure? ;)

Personally I think it is a risky busniess doing it under ground levels, but depending on Location it could work.
Everytime I look at your name I think of Equinix :0

Equonix said:
People used to think that, per discussion on another forums a couple months agi; however it people got used to it.

Just remember there is an o.

Grr, I cant figure out how to get my messages emailed to me or I would have replied alot sooner.