Did PayPal change the way sellers collect recurring/subscription payments?

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
Is it me or did PayPal change their system around for businesses accepting payments? Talking about their new selling tools being available only with an upgrade of your account to business with three plans: Standard, Advanced and Pro...

Log in after a while and it seems like the subscribe button creation form is now not available, unless you upgrade account to business?

Instead they have "Manage invoices" tool that isn't exactly as creating recurring payment links and buttons.

Been searching around for a good hour, reading their support documents and still very unclear about how to find the good old PayPal payment button creation form.

Did I miss anything?

Personally I would call PayPal and ask about it.

I haven't seen any changes but we do all of our billing through our billing system and very rarely do we visit PayPal directly.

Thanks guys, I knew chances are most people here have a business account, which is what I thought I had (at least Premier, as they used to call it). Can't avoid calling them. :)

Thanks guys, I knew chances are most people here have a business account, which is what I thought I had (at least Premier, as they used to call it). Can't avoid calling them. :)

Premier is different to business account for some reason.

you can have

1 business and 1 personal account
1 business and 1 premier account
1 premier and 1 personal account

but you cant have

2 business accounts
2 premier accounts

Premier is different to business account for some reason.

you can have

1 business and 1 personal account
1 business and 1 premier account
1 premier and 1 personal account

but you cant have

2 business accounts
2 premier accounts

I really do find this policy annoying. Lots of people have multiple businesses be it subsidiaries, totally separate entities etc yet PayPal is so limiting to accommodate these needs.

They have the multiple account system (where funds are moved every night(?) to the main account) but this is limited to the US only.

Another reason I vote for Stripe. Very easy multiple business management within 1 login.

I also can't say I've noticed any differences.

I also find the policy of limiting accounts annoying. I like to keep things seperare so using a seperate PayPal account for each business is the best option but PayPal limit it.

So I found the time to call PayPal today (they picked up exceptionally quickly) and it turned out they have indeed changed things around. Had to upgrade the account to business to gain accept to receiving payments by credit cards, as well as establish recurring payments. Apparently my account was a personal account, even though I remember I had a Premier status in order to accept payments by credit cards. Anyways...

A really unnecessary change (in my opinion), but I don't control PayPal.

So I found the time to call PayPal today (they picked up exceptionally quickly) and it turned out they have indeed changed things around. Had to upgrade the account to business to gain accept to receiving payments by credit cards, as well as establish recurring payments. Apparently my account was a personal account, even though I remember I had a Premier status in order to accept payments by credit cards. Anyways...

A really unnecessary change (in my opinion), but I don't control PayPal.

Maybe they are changing things as they are no longer part of eBay

Their invoicing tool has been around for a few years, and, rather than request money, I found clients like it.

I don't have a personal account, so I can't say whether or not they removed the subscribe links, BUT it would make sense if they did.. That seems more of a feature you'd want from a business , not a person anyways :)