Favorite Hypervisor?

Which hypervisor is your hypervisor of choice? VMware ESXi, Proxmox, Microsoft Hyper-V, other?

I have experience using both VMware ESXi and Proxmox.

I really enjoy how Proxmox is open source and you don't have to pay money to unlock High Availability, backups, storage backends, etc. However, the interface can be challenging and the documentation isn't nearly as robust as documentation for VMware ESXi.

So for ease of use, I'd go with VMware ESXi but from a cost perspective and functionality perspective, I like Proxmox.

Thoughts?

We've started building our infrastructure on OpenStack, and that uses KVM. But OpenStack provides a better cloud platform than just using KVM with SolusVM or Softaculous Virtualizor, as if your node goes down, your Cloud VM comes up moments later on another node.
KVM has native support in Linux, so that's why we are happy with it, and it's getting better all the time.

We've started building our infrastructure on OpenStack, and that uses KVM. But OpenStack provides a better cloud platform than just using KVM with SolusVM or Softaculous Virtualizor, as if your node goes down, your Cloud VM comes up moments later on another node.
KVM has native support in Linux, so that's why we are happy with it, and it's getting better all the time.

Ah, I have limited experience with OpenStack. But that does sound interesting; I need to create some VMs and try some backups. Do you find the Horizon interface fairly intuitive?

We have used Vmware, Hyper-v and Xen, been pretty happy with them. Xen is what we highly recommend, very flexible and great prices.

Ah, I have limited experience with OpenStack. But that does sound interesting; I need to create some VMs and try some backups. Do you find the Horizon interface fairly intuitive?

We use hostbill for our provision, so we don't often use the Horizon tool, but only ever use it should something weird happen that Hostbill cannot fix using the API.

We use hostbill for our provision, so we don't often use the Horizon tool, but only ever use it should something weird happen that Hostbill cannot fix using the API.

Ah I see, I haven't tried hostbill as it can get pretty expensive. From the little I read about it, it seems like a decent tool.

OpenStack + KVM is excellent. I use Blesta for provision / billing / support. We need to do alot of customizing so the open code is a must.

Don't you work for OVH? They use OpenStack.

Yup, I work with OVH. We use OpenStack for our public cloud offerings. I've played around a bit with our public cloud, but I work mostly on the Baremetal and Private Cloud side of things. In Private Cloud we use VMware vCenter (vSphere) and Baremetal mostly VMware ESXi and Proxmox.

We use VMware ESXi and we love it. it is the most advanced and stable virtualization one could use. The only thing which might be inconvenient for SMB companies is that VMware's advanced service require licensing and is paid on SaaS basis. It could be expensive. Still we get High Availability and Automated Fault-Tolerance on an infrastructure level and our customers benefit from those enterprise-grade services. In other words "thump up" for Vmware ESXi.

I've tried them all, they basically all do the same. If you want most features VMware is probably the one to go for, if you want something free Xenserver or Proxmox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123