More resellers getting the job done

SonWebHost

Account Disabled
Hi, the more resellers we have in the industry the better the products will be available to the public. Most low end sites like blogs and personal site only require basic products at a reasonable price. By having more resellers we can manage more websites efficiently :)

Resellers are people

Hi, people are behind those servers and it takes a special kind of person to be willing to spend time and resources to be a hosting reseller. As you would know you probably started out with a reseller plan and had to pay as you go and build clients along the way. You may have had to pay for a server and billing software plus ssl certificate instead of going to the movies with friend for a night out. There are millions of servers in the world but it takes someone to manage and sell them to the public. Give yourself some credit for being a reseller.

Hi, the more resellers we have in the industry the better the products will be available to the public. Most low end sites like blogs and personal site only require basic products at a reasonable price. By having more resellers we can manage more websites efficiently :)

I think more resellers will be good because they have a small clientele so it will help keep the industry average customer satisfaction up. People get pissed at bigger companies faster because the expect much more.

I think that is pretty bold to say that more resellers equal better service. It doesn't really mean there is necessarily more space and more quality hosting being provided. The reseller has nothing to do with the actual hardware behind the hosting service.

The benefits I see if more and more resellers are popping up is higher competition that may push companies to have more competitive prices with good products.

I think the more resellers we have the dirtier the industry gets. There are very immature people purchasing a reseller in order to get some quick clients in order to purchase that new xbox or gaming system, then quitting after they get what they want. This leaves there clients in the dark and causing yet more untrusting clients looking for web hosting.

The quantity of resellers in the industry in no way means the products available to the public will be any better. I do see what you're attempting to imply, but so many new resellers disappear after a few months (school's back in session or lack of funds), that (like was said earlier) it dirties the industry.

No offense, but this is a strange comment from someone who offers reseller hosting.

I think the more resellers we have the dirtier the industry gets. There are very immature people purchasing a reseller in order to get some quick clients in order to purchase that new xbox or gaming system, then quitting after they get what they want. This leaves there clients in the dark and causing yet more untrusting clients looking for web hosting.

Not really you can look at this way I started with a reseller account in 2004 and now I am offering reseller account. I had no idea on how to design a website but I knew I wanted to be a web host.

If it wasn't for reseller packages I dnt think many people in hosting industry today would have got into the business.

Is a good way of getting into the hosting world and understanding the basics.

It's always been the easiest way to get into the business itself. Start up with a domain name, a few dollars and you'll find a decent hosting package with enough room to grow. If you're lucky enough and pay a little extra, you'll get a billing system and free end user support. Run it well enough and absolutely no one will know you are a reseller.

In regards to it improving the standard of service, I disagree. It's stalling the market in my opinion, there's a distinct lack of fresh ideas in the industry itself at the reseller level. It's still providing, in my eyes, the simplest form of web hosting, "give em a control panel and they'll handle it."

In recent years there's been a move to virtual servers as they tumbled in price and those brave enough have jumped across and many have thrived in an environment where they control all the aspects. The rest are still hiding under the shadows, still thinking the same, still not in control.

It's still a great tool but businesses who are still stuck under the reseller umbrella and making good money doing it need to get a grip. You're not in control and that doesn't sit easy with me. Your host goes down, your clients go down too. At that stage, who has backups? Wait! You didn't take backups because your provider does. Oops! They've gone bust, lost all your backups and your client's data. What do we do now?

My company does sell reseller packages and we encourage many to use them but we always actively monitor it and once the client has grown large enough, we'll get them thinking about progressing but at all times, we remind them that we are not in charge of their business. They should run it as if we don't exist, taking every precaution along the way.

Each company starts somewhere.

Companies such as GoDaddy and HostGator did not become large corporations in one day, nor did they have the resources and tools that they now do, when they first started.

Everyone has to start from somewhere to get the possibles running through their minds, whether is starting a blog, purchasing a reseller account, dedicated server and so forth.

Successful or not, they will be filtered out by todays hosting industry, and be put into one of the two categories.

In my opinion, everyone deserves a chance.

The quantity of resellers in the industry in no way means the products available to the public will be any better. I do see what you're attempting to imply, but so many new resellers disappear after a few months (school's back in session or lack of funds), that (like was said earlier) it dirties the industry.

You seem rather quick to judge. What's wrong with people in school having some type of entrepreneurial spirit? I'm sure they have dreams to be "big" like you. ;)

You seem rather quick to judge. What's wrong with people in school having some type of entrepreneurial spirit? I'm sure they have dreams to be "big" like you.

I think you've misread his post. Having an entrepreneurial spirit is great, but leaving customers in the cold because school starts is poor planning, and totally unfair given the promises made to them.

I think you've misread his post. Having an entrepreneurial spirit is great, but leaving customers in the cold because school starts is poor planning, and totally unfair given the promises made to them.

Yeah, I guess that's an effective argument.

yeah and that's just one of the problems

the other is the flyby night hosts who startup get bored and/or run out of money don't pay server bills and get totally cut off and loose their clients data.

i was a customer of clubuptime when they suddenly dissappeared it wasn't untill i tried to get to their website i even tried phoning them and nothing at all then their site showed up saying they where closing their doors with immediate effect.

that's not fair especially as a customer i was paying my bills to them but they weren't paying their bill's to their suppliers.

joe

You seem rather quick to judge. What's wrong with people in school having some type of entrepreneurial spirit? I'm sure they have dreams to be "big" like you. ;)
You completely mistook my comment. We're entrepreneurs to the core here. In fact, we just awarded $5000 each in service credits to 5 different entrepreneurs in association with Capital Innovators at last month's Tech.li event.

Let's get real - I personally know of quite a few resellers, teenagers and seasoned veterans alike, that got in over their heads and called it quits, leaving their clients high and dry. Some go back to school, others join the military and a few get jobs with other providers. And every year, some just disappear completely. I applaud every teenager that sticks with it and fulfills their dream - by taking care of the clients who have entrusted their sites to them.

I would have to agree with this one :)