Remember DOS?

webling

I got my training in the early 90's when we were trained in DOS (Disc Operating System) White fonts on a black scrreen. We did FTP on it, even knew how to scan the internet even though it was nuthing pretty.

Have we forgotten that in 20 years that we like our comfort so much that we have been mesmerized by pretty software such as Control Panels and other things developed by companies who want to own us? I'm not one of them.

I still have DOS on disk, DOS on windoze and can use it anytime I need to. I still have my original FTP software from the 1990's for Windoze I can still use now.

Why have so many of us forgotten that and abandoned that software? I haven't. Why? You've been mesmerized and become complacent because most of us have become lazy. Let's talk.

I had a black screen with green text running BASIC before DOS, then gwbasic etc too.

I used to run a BBS way WAY back in the day, so 300bps, and 2400bps were just becoming standard. I was one of the first BBS systems in Southern California to have 14.4kbps and then 56.6kbps. By that stage, we had moved to OS/2 Warp and were running a Multi-Line system. I think it was NetDOS before it?

Either way, EVERYTHING had to be learned by trial and error. There were some text files out there that you could learn things on, but BBS Forums were the key source for information.

Today, sure enough, I'm lazy with a lot of things (programming and research excluded). I have a RoboMower that mows my yard, I have a housekeeper, we have looked, but not hired, a nanny (to take care of myself and my wife - we don't have kids, but we want someone to cook for us). I abuse computers so much that after a year or two I have to buy a new one.

I'm all about using technology to the best of our ability, but it definitely does mean that I become more complacent in the "every day" things - and that's not necessarily a bad thing!

I had a black screen with green text running BASIC before DOS, then gwbasic etc too.

I used to run a BBS way WAY back in the day, so 300bps, and 2400bps were just becoming standard. I was one of the first BBS systems in Southern California to have 14.4kbps and then 56.6kbps. By that stage, we had moved to OS/2 Warp and were running a Multi-Line system. I think it was NetDOS before it?

Either way, EVERYTHING had to be learned by trial and error. There were some text files out there that you could learn things on, but BBS Forums were the key source for information.

Today, sure enough, I'm lazy with a lot of things (programming and research excluded). I have a RoboMower that mows my yard, I have a housekeeper, we have looked, but not hired, a nanny (to take care of myself and my wife - we don't have kids, but we want someone to cook for us). I abuse computers so much that after a year or two I have to buy a new one.

I'm all about using technology to the best of our ability, but it definitely does mean that I become more complacent in the "every day" things - and that's not necessarily a bad thing!

I remember the old BBS systems, days before we had gopher instead of http. Search engines like Veronica, websites with no images, just text. Do you remember the finger servers? Those got abused many times. But I liked them because people who weren't tech savvy didn't know you were checking up on them. :)

The only thing I remember about Finger was I used to use it similar to a whois, or mail request. I can't say I used it all that often, but when troubleshooting routing, it was as necessary as a "find" command!

Days gone by for sure!

The only thing I remember about Finger was I used to use it similar to a whois, or mail request. I can't say I used it all that often, but when troubleshooting routing, it was as necessary as a "find" command!

Days gone by for sure!

The thang with the finger servers is it gave us too much information and you could actually know when a person got online and got offline. Talk about invasion of privacy. But that's before the government knew as much as we did about the internet. LOL Now that the government has caught up there are more laws in place governing things.

I still dream in DOS... well sometimes. I think at the end of the day, GUI just one over the masses and there were no turning back.

I remember using Win 3.1 for the first time and I loved the multi-tasking aspect of it. I started using it more and more and look where its got us! LOL

Talking about dos, I was still surprise seeing here in Montreal, Canada in some stores using FoxPro for Dos.....Amazing !!! FoxPro was an amazing program working with databases, programming module *.prg....Those were really nice time with real professionals !!!

Ha DOS, yes I also grew up on DOS. Built command batch files to automate processes. I still go to a command prompt when troubleshooting - in fact there are things in Windows that still must be done on DOS; like SFC /SCANNOW, and NETSTAT -AN
:)

In general it's software evolution. When you need more flexibility, more functions..you will come to the point where we are now. But back in the days DOS was cool..as well DOOM 2 :)