Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 02:48 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 115

Status: technut is offline
Hey there, does anyone have a solution to stop or reduce the continued fraud orders being placed over, and over again?

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fraud.jpg (42.6 KB, 39 views)
__________________
Hostmy1stweb.com - Affordable Web Hosting
HOSTING l SSL l DOMAINS l MODULES l SUBMISSIONS l AFFILIATES
Providing low cost "Value" Web Hosting since 1999.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 09:38 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 144
Send a message via Yahoo to JerryM

Status: JerryM is offline
Why do you believe it's fraud?

The only thing MaxMind is going on here, is that the user is using an yahoo.com address, as most customers are.
__________________
Affordable Hosting | 99.9% Up Time | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
True 24/7/365 Support with 45 minute response time Guarantee | Shared, Reseller, Shoutcast hosting | VPS and Dedicated
Locations in Chicago, IL | Denever, CO | ZLIN, Czech Republic, EU
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 09:51 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,726

Status: webfreak08 is offline
You might consider using a calling service such as VariLogiX.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 11:32 AM
HD Guru
 
HostLeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 874

Status: HostLeet is offline
Why do you think this order is fraud? It looks like a legitimate order... The fraud risk score of "2.50" is very low and only due to the fact that the client has a free email address, that's all.

I hope you haven't been turning down orders just as this one.

Optimize your MaxMind settings to meet your needs and set the fraud risk score to 7+ for blocking orders.
__________________
HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 12:08 PM
HD Guru
 
HostMantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 691

Status: HostMantis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
Why do you think this order is fraud? It looks like a legitimate order... The fraud risk score of "2.50" is very low and only due to the fact that the client has a free email address, that's all.

I hope you haven't been turning down orders just as this one.

Optimize your MaxMind settings to meet your needs and set the fraud risk score to 7+ for blocking orders.
Agreed. If you're blocking orders just because they are using free email, then you are going to block about 90% of the orders you receive, because a majority of people use Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail for their email.
__________________
HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
Shared • Reseller • 24/7/365 Support • Instant Activation
CloudLinux • Softaculous Premium • CloudFlare • Multi PHP
HostMantis on: Facebook • Twitter
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 115

Status: technut is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
Why do you think this order is fraud? It looks like a legitimate order... The fraud risk score of "2.50" is very low and only due to the fact that the client has a free email address, that's all.

I hope you haven't been turning down orders just as this one.

Optimize your MaxMind settings to meet your needs and set the fraud risk score to 7+ for blocking orders.


Hi all,

We really appreciate everyones reply to our question!

We have been blocking orders because of several things that may or may not be of VALID concern..... as you put it "only due to the fact that the client has a free email address" is not the primary reason.

Here are OUR concerns with all the other orders we get allot of and don't ever accept! Maybe we're too strict. I don't know?

1. Order name, address, email address does not match the person that paid for the order by PayPal or Google accounts or CC.
2. No real verifiable address, box, rt, number, street on the order.
3. No valid verifiable telephone number, we called to check.
4. Order is always the lowest hosting pkg they could purchase.
5. 90% of theses same type of reoccurring orders come from out of country.

Just one reason of any of the above would not be a issue for us, but we have been getting just way too many of all 5 of theses concerns in each order. So we have been canceling the orders as fraud.


Below is a random sample of addresses in some orders.
For clients privacy respect we have not included email address and telephone numbers that 99% dint work.


Address 1: JP Nagar
Address 2:
City: Bangalore
State: Karnataka
Postcode: 560001
Country: IN

Address 1: Lapu-lapu, Cebu
Address 2:
City: Cebu
State: Cebu
Postcode: 6000
Country: PH

Address 1: Silver Creek
Address 2: Carmen
City: Cagayan de Oro
State: Misamis Oriental
Postcode: 9000
Country: PH


So what do you say. Are we asking for too much that the order match the purchase info and the purchasing individual, and list a valid address & maybe a phone number.

If they have Internet, PayPal, Google they would have had to supply all this real information to link a bank account to them!

Right?, or are we out of touch with that too?

Comments, suggestions..... advice anyone!

Thanks.
__________________
Hostmy1stweb.com - Affordable Web Hosting
HOSTING l SSL l DOMAINS l MODULES l SUBMISSIONS l AFFILIATES
Providing low cost "Value" Web Hosting since 1999.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
HD Guru
 
HostLeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 874

Status: HostLeet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by technut View Post
Hi all,

We really appreciate everyones reply to our question!

We have been blocking orders because of several things that may or may not be of VALID concern..... as you put it "only due to the fact that the client has a free email address" is not the primary reason.

Here are OUR concerns with all the other orders we get allot of and don't ever accept! Maybe we're too strict. I don't know?

1. Order name, address, email address does not match the person that paid for the order by PayPal or Google accounts or CC.
2. No real verifiable address, box, rt, number, street on the order.
3. No valid verifiable telephone number, we called to check.
4. Order is always the lowest hosting pkg they could purchase.
5. 90% of theses same type of reoccurring orders come from out of country.

Just one reason of any of the above would not be a issue for us, but we have been getting just way too many of all 5 of theses concerns in each order. So we have been canceling the orders as fraud.


Below is a random sample of addresses in some orders.
For clients privacy respect we have not included email address and telephone numbers that 99% dint work.


Address 1: JP Nagar
Address 2:
City: Bangalore
State: Karnataka
Postcode: 560001
Country: IN

Address 1: Lapu-lapu, Cebu
Address 2:
City: Cebu
State: Cebu
Postcode: 6000
Country: PH

Address 1: Silver Creek
Address 2: Carmen
City: Cagayan de Oro
State: Misamis Oriental
Postcode: 9000
Country: PH


So what do you say. Are we asking for too much that the order match the purchase info and the purchasing individual, and list a valid address & maybe a phone number.

If they have Internet, PayPal, Google they would have had to supply all this real information to link a bank account to them!

Right?, or are we out of touch with that too?

Comments, suggestions..... advice anyone!

Thanks.
We're only going off of the screenshot you posted... We don't know if the client's names match their PayPal, or if the address is correct (you didn't mention any of this in your original post).

You only posted a screenshot which shows nothing wrong itself. Try to include more detail in your post next time you make a thread asking for advice.
__________________
HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout

Last edited by HostLeet : 06-13-2010 at 07:44 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 144
Send a message via Yahoo to JerryM

Status: JerryM is offline
I agree with HostLeet.

With the post you posted, the order was legit. Which is also why MaxMind gave it such a low fraud risk rating. As well, it's the reason we all gave you the same answer.

I to cancel orders when things don't match up.

A person ordering your lowest priced package shouldn't be a concern though. Most people do this to "test" your services.

Best regards,
Jerry
__________________
Affordable Hosting | 99.9% Up Time | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
True 24/7/365 Support with 45 minute response time Guarantee | Shared, Reseller, Shoutcast hosting | VPS and Dedicated
Locations in Chicago, IL | Denever, CO | ZLIN, Czech Republic, EU
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   06-14-2010, 04:26 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 518
Send a message via ICQ to HostColor Send a message via Skype™ to HostColor

Status: HostColor is offline
Hi guys,

Let me tell you first that it is a good idea to have a "Closed forum" for "Web Hosts" where to discuss such things. The reason is that threads like this help scammers to learn.

Otherwise I regret to say the a lot of fraud is coming from Philippines. although it is a lovely country and I know a some people there who are fine professionals in web design and development.

The only way to process risky orders is to call the prospective customer and to ask them to provide papers that prove their identity.
__________________
HostColor.com - Cloud Infrastructure w/ High Availability - Bare-Metal Dedicated Servers - since 2000
Data Centers: US (near Chicago) & Europe
Network (AS46873): Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net + Midwest Peering
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   06-14-2010, 07:55 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 332
Send a message via AIM to energizedit Send a message via Skype™ to energizedit

Status: energizedit is offline
I would say you set the requirements for your own company. If you feel these fit your requirements for a legit company/order then tht's great. These may not fit others idea of a legit order.

I think it is a good starting point. However if you are getting a lot of these orders you may want to relax the requirements a little and see how it goes with some of them. Maybe you are being a little too strict.
__________________
Energized I.T. Cpanel Hosting
A full service web company
Shared/Reseller Hosting | Website Building | Domain Names
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   06-14-2010, 12:36 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Quote:
The only way to process risky orders is to call the prospective customer and to ask them to provide papers that prove their identity.
Highly recommended
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 35

Status: PsyberMind is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
Hi guys,

Let me tell you first that it is a good idea to have a "Closed forum" for "Web Hosts" where to discuss such things. The reason is that threads like this help scammers to learn.
I couldn't agree more....

But back to the Topic


We've gotten a few orders that MaxMind themselves marked as Fraud, contacted them, and turned out to be legit (one person even bought 5 dedicated servers last month to start his own business)One of the things you need to do, espeically when you are talking about address mismatches, is get ahold of the client. Keep the order to pending and send them a friendly email to the extent of:

Hello

Than you for chosing (COMPANY.) There were a few problems with your order, and as thus, your order remains in a pending status.

The Reasons for this are below:

The IP you signed up from does not match with the address you provided.

If you can reply to this email explaining the reason for this, we would be most happy to approve your order


Something along those lines. You'd be surprised how many are from the place they say they are, but are in the IP area on business.

Like I said, I ran into a few, and one just spent a little over 1000 a month with us, after being with us 6 months.
__________________
‡PsyberHosting
‡Shared/Reseller Hosting
‡VPS/Dedicated Services

‡1-888-893-9881 Follow us on Twitter
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   06-25-2010, 12:01 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 40

Status: DKing is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
Optimize your MaxMind settings to meet your needs and set the fraud risk score to 7+ for blocking orders.
7? Wow. We find that orders below 3 are usually legit and anything over 4-5 needs to be manually reviewed. We usually request a copy of a photo ID or electric/phone/etc bill with name and address on it if the order scores anything above 4-5 or comes from an open proxy.

If a lot of fraud orders are still getting in I'd suggest deploying MaxMind's telephone verification system.

Fraud checks aren't always fail proof. We've had someone with a score of .03 that ended up being fraudulent.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   06-25-2010, 05:24 AM
HD Guru
 
HostLeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 874

Status: HostLeet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKing View Post
7? Wow. We find that orders below 3 are usually legit and anything over 4-5 needs to be manually reviewed. We usually request a copy of a photo ID or electric/phone/etc bill with name and address on it if the order scores anything above 4-5 or comes from an open proxy.

If a lot of fraud orders are still getting in I'd suggest deploying MaxMind's telephone verification system.

Fraud checks aren't always fail proof. We've had someone with a score of .03 that ended up being fraudulent.
We've had legit orders come in as "9" on MaxMind.

That's why I try to keep the score a bit high since all orders are manually reviewed and verified, also. (only real way to make sure)
__________________
HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   06-25-2010, 06:29 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 40

Status: DKing is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
We've had legit orders come in as "9" on MaxMind.
I assume the order came from a high risk country? I've seen some high scores that ended up being legit but those are usually because the order comes from a high risk country (in which case we still ask for supporting documents).

If the person entered their details correctly, it shouldn't be high at all. The score only goes up to 10, after all.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccfd_formula

To each his own I guess. Everyone has to figure out their own process of filtering orders.

Last edited by DKing : 06-25-2010 at 06:31 AM.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: