Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   01-13-2012, 05:21 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,264

Status: handsonhosting is offline
This affects US Tax Laws

Is it too early to start talking about the new tax laws that went into effect for 2012 but likely people won't even hear of them until January 2013 when it's too late to go back and figure everything out?

In particular, I'd like to discuss the new 1099-K that's been introduced which requires people who spend more than $600 with a company (even Corporation) to fill out a 1099-K. This also applies to web hosting companies, and here's how (at least from what I've read and how I've read the tax laws);

You purchase servers from a datacenter, you spend more than $600, you have to file a 1099-K and collect the datacenter's TIN numbers.
A client purchases hosting services with you and it amounts to more than $600 in a year - you have to fill out tax forms for them and provide your TIN, EIN or SSN.
You're a web designer, you do a design for a client, they send you 1099-K forms for more paperwork
You sell stuff on eBay, you have to 1099 if you sell more than $600/year

Now it starts to get messy;
If you fill out more than 200 individual forms, you now must file electronicly - no biggie right? Wrong;
1099's are billed individually by electronic filing places

So, now you're sending W4 & 1099's to clients, paying for stamps, time, filing fees etc etc - are you raising your hosting price to cover costs yet?

Think of it from a logistics end of things with a DataCenter that has thousands of servers and clients - they'll spend WEEKS filling out forms for people.

Even ourselves, we'll have a few thousand forms to fill out in January 2013.

Are you tracking things yet? What are your plans to stay ahead and not get penalized by the government for filing incorrectly (or failing to file 1099's)?

And while I'm at it -I'll just jab this last little bit of info at you This was all included in the healthcare bill
__________________
Emerson Nogueira
http://www.HandsOnWebHosting.com
cPanel Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Managed VPS Servers
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varna, Bulgaria
Posts: 100

Status: rds100 is offline
Don't know how this works in USA, but here you should be able send any document/form/whatever in electronic form (say pdf, excel sheet, word document). You need to sign it with an electronic signature and then it is as good as a document on paper.

Doesn't this work in USA too? If yes, all you need is some not very complicated addition to your accounting software which generates the forms, signs them with electronic signature and emails them?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   01-14-2012, 02:49 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
i am pleased i am in the UK
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   01-14-2012, 04:57 AM
HD Guru
 
HostLeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 874

Status: HostLeet is offline
So, it's the responsibility of the vendor to provide these forms and fill them too? I mean.. If I spend $1000 on Amazon.com.. Will they send me the 1099 form and provide the EIN/TIN number or do I have to go out of my way to find this info and fill the form myself (speaking as a consumer)?

I will have to do some research these next few days...
__________________
HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
HD Wizard
 
ldcdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ploiesti
Posts: 3,112

Status: ldcdc is offline
Quote:
This affects US Tax Laws
It would be interesting to know how this affects the international companies/individuals dealing with US companies.

Us Europeans have reports upon reports, invoices and VAT numbers and VAT regulations to deal with. I find it all a very serious hindrance on productivity and a significant added cost to being in business. I don't think that going down this route would be a good idea for the US (or any country to be perfectly honest).
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
i will find out on Monday when i contact one of my USA suppliers. i will be ordering well over $600 worth of stock for my other business
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Quote:
This was all included in the healthcare bill
What does any of this have to do with healthcare? Looks like our CFO is going to be busy.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 45

Status: b2netsolutions is offline
easyhostmedia, have you found out that into?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   01-18-2012, 02:26 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2netsolutions View Post
easyhostmedia, have you found out that into?
yes, its a simple form to complete (sample here:http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099k.pdf)
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   01-18-2012, 03:09 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 26

Status: farhan786 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
Don't know how this works in USA, but here you should be able send any document/form/whatever in electronic form (say pdf, excel sheet, word document). You need to sign it with an electronic signature and then it is as good as a document on paper.

Doesn't this work in USA too? If yes, all you need is some not very complicated addition to your accounting software which generates the forms, signs them with electronic signature and emails them?
i agree with it was nice though that we have electronic signature which have right to our self only and this signature will work only for tax return form
__________________
<See Rules for signature setup.>
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,264

Status: handsonhosting is offline
It looks like I may have some miss-information on all of this. It appears that this was in section 9006 of the health care reform bill which passed in 2010 and then appears to have maybe been repealed in 2011. I'm finding a number of conflicting posts from places saying that reporting has to be done, and then others saying that it doesn't.

I know that there is the 1099-K form that went into effect for 2011 which talks about 200 transactions AND $20k revenue - then forms need to be filled out - but the $600 reporting would have been on the 1099-MISC forms AND 1099-K forms.

I've been trying to hunt around the IRS site for more information on this so I can link to it - not having much success. I've contacted legal here to find out if they can point me to the tax codes so I can cross link them.

Sometimes, I hate the internet and it's archiving of older information posing as NEW information!
__________________
Emerson Nogueira
http://www.HandsOnWebHosting.com
cPanel Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Managed VPS Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
also the 1099-K form asked for your federal Tax ID, which if you are not a USA business then you wont have 1, so if line me you are in the UK and trade with a USA supplier, yes you can complete the 1099-K form, but you cant fully complete it as you dont have a Federal Tax ID
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
HD Addict
 
webling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243

Status: webling is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
It would be interesting to know how this affects the international companies/individuals dealing with US companies.
Being that they are outside the US they would not be affected by US law.
__________________
Chosen Web Host Quality Shared web hosting and Design
Integrity with Excellence - Free backups through cPanel
You can't develop the internet, until you learn to develop yourself
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
HD Addict
 
webling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243

Status: webling is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsonhosting View Post
This affects US Tax Laws

Is it too early to start talking about the new tax laws that went into effect for 2012 but likely people won't even hear of them until January 2013 when it's too late to go back and figure everything out?

In particular, I'd like to discuss the new 1099-K that's been introduced which requires people who spend more than $600 with a company (even Corporation) to fill out a 1099-K. This also applies to web hosting companies, and here's how (at least from what I've read and how I've read the tax laws);

You purchase servers from a datacenter, you spend more than $600, you have to file a 1099-K and collect the datacenter's TIN numbers.
A client purchases hosting services with you and it amounts to more than $600 in a year - you have to fill out tax forms for them and provide your TIN, EIN or SSN.
You're a web designer, you do a design for a client, they send you 1099-K forms for more paperwork
You sell stuff on eBay, you have to 1099 if you sell more than $600/year

Now it starts to get messy;
If you fill out more than 200 individual forms, you now must file electronicly - no biggie right? Wrong;
1099's are billed individually by electronic filing places

So, now you're sending W4 & 1099's to clients, paying for stamps, time, filing fees etc etc - are you raising your hosting price to cover costs yet?

Think of it from a logistics end of things with a DataCenter that has thousands of servers and clients - they'll spend WEEKS filling out forms for people.

Even ourselves, we'll have a few thousand forms to fill out in January 2013.

Are you tracking things yet? What are your plans to stay ahead and not get penalized by the government for filing incorrectly (or failing to file 1099's)?

And while I'm at it -I'll just jab this last little bit of info at you This was all included in the healthcare bill
Someone will need to implement an automated process for this. Maybe the people at WHMCS and others that distribute this type of software can find a way.
__________________
Chosen Web Host Quality Shared web hosting and Design
Integrity with Excellence - Free backups through cPanel
You can't develop the internet, until you learn to develop yourself
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 145

Status: agentblack is offline
Well this could get extremely interesting. And we all thought the IRS ran slow now.. wait until they get 10 tons of mail of returns. This has irked me personally so much that rather than filing electronically, I'm half tempted to have the accountant send it via paper just out of spite!

Most frustrating....

AB
__________________
Agent Black Web Hosting - Stop being an account number, come to the host who treats you like the individual you are. Offering Shared, Cloud Servers, Dedicated Servers, and Domain Name Registrations.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: