Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 568

Status: HostOX is offline
Been looking around and considering an idea.

Could you build a datacenter in a warehouse / storage space unit? Sort of like the big metal storage unit with tons of floor space, just floor space.
Has it been done before?

I thought of building a inside wall with breeze blocks for extra security, and then secure outside etc, locked gates electronic - CCTV and so forth.
Do you think it is even possible?

Kind of like http://media.rightmove.co.uk/86k/858...ax_620x414.jpg
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.

Last edited by HostOX : 07-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   07-08-2012, 01:22 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,957
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0130 View Post
Been looking around and considering an idea.

Could you build a datacenter in a warehouse / storage space unit? Sort of like the big metal storage unit with tons of floor space, just floor space.
Has it been done before?

I thought of building a inside wall with breeze blocks for extra security, and then secure outside etc, locked gates electronic - CCTV and so forth.
Do you think it is even possible?

Kind of like http://media.rightmove.co.uk/86k/858...ax_620x414.jpg
yes, you can. i have even read of companies that will provide modular DCs ready to go that can be placed inside such units
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   07-08-2012, 01:23 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
I see no reason why not.
The space isn't really the issue. It's the availability of services and security.

Power back up.
Flood and weather protection.
Integrity of the incoming lines.

These are the things I would think would be of most concern rather than the actual space.
There might be issues with adjoining spaces though.
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 568

Status: HostOX is offline
I see - I thought it was possible myself.

Thanks for the feedback then, I will look into it more - From what I see it is a big possibility.

There is indeed a lot more to think about, but the first question was would that sort of space be ideal.
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   07-09-2012, 01:48 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 63

Status: VMhosts-Gordon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I see no reason why not.
The space isn't really the issue. It's the availability of services and security.

Power back up.
Flood and weather protection.
Integrity of the incoming lines.

These are the things I would think would be of most concern rather than the actual space.
There might be issues with adjoining spaces though.
Exactly what I was thinking as well. It's not that it can't be done, but datacenters are powerful beasts which need protection and service.

If I was looking at hosting any services, the data center they physical equipment is located in is one of the most important considerations to make
__________________
www.VMhosts.co.uk - "Cloud hosting within reach"
SSD Auto Tier, 24x7x365 Support, Tier 3 UK Datacentre, Clustered Raid10 storage, Powered by OnApp
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42

Status: Brian_R is offline
There are plenty of DCs built in exactly that manner with a warehouse type unit filled with modular units - we are one, another example in the UK might be the Capgemini Merlin data centre in Swindon. Modular can mean either the container type units which got a lot of publicity recently or larger more permanent building in building units, almost like a prefab construction. We use both types, from AST who supplied IBM with their containerised units, their indirect free-air cooling is superb and works really well for us, giving us an annual PUE of 1.15 if I remember right.

There's a marketing intro video here <<Mod note: URL snipped>>. The container unit is the one that looks like two containers on top of one another (obviously!) and you can also see a larger modular unit which holds about 50 racks, it's the unit with the big colourful print on the side.

Frankly, the building is almost immaterial - all it provides is weatherproofing and enough buffer space around it to be able to put in all the necessary physical security features. The key is bandwidth and power availability, if you can sort these then the rest is easy.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about these types of data centres.
__________________
Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
High Spec Colo, Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers and Storage with 100% renewable energy.
Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42

Status: Brian_R is offline
I messed up and posted a marketing intro to our facility - apologies. What I was trying to show was the type of modular infrastructure which gets used in the types of buildings the OP was talking about - here's an equivalent marketing intro to the Capgemini facility in Swindon, UK which uses non-container modular units - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ommuxoKxoA.
__________________
Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
High Spec Colo, Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers and Storage with 100% renewable energy.
Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   07-20-2012, 05:20 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 568

Status: HostOX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_R View Post
I messed up and posted a marketing intro to our facility - apologies. What I was trying to show was the type of modular infrastructure which gets used in the types of buildings the OP was talking about - here's an equivalent marketing intro to the Capgemini facility in Swindon, UK which uses non-container modular units - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ommuxoKxoA.
Thanks for that, the video looks good.
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   07-20-2012, 06:01 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 78
Send a message via Skype™ to private_html

Status: private_html is offline
take a look here...

and then start googleing for it

hope this helps abit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLdb...feature=relmfu
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wallington, NJ
Posts: 56
Send a message via MSN to TmzHosting Send a message via Skype™ to TmzHosting

Status: TmzHosting is offline
It's not the building or space that is the issue. You need to consider good connectivity, storm protection etc.

- Daniel
__________________
Managed VPS - tmzVPS.com - East & West Coast (US) & UK Locations - INSTANT Setup - cPanel/WHM Included - Fully Managed & Unmanaged VPS's | Adult Allowed!
14 day money back guarantee | 8+ Years in Business | PaypalAlertPayGoogle Checkout2CheckOutAccepted
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Posts: 35
Send a message via Skype™ to DJAB Hosting

Status: DJAB Hosting is offline
I know a guy who built one out of an old post office. It took a lot of work to transform it into a data center but it's great now. He had to completely redo the electrical work, restructure the roof with additional supports, add raised floors, and install security equipment and CCTVs.
As long as the local connectivity is there and power grid can support it, I suppose you could build a data center almost anywhere.
__________________
Andrew Benson - DJAB Hosting
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Unmanaged & Managed VPSs (OpenVZ & Xen), Dedicated Servers, Pittsburgh Colocation, and more!
www.DJABHosting.com - Business Class Hosting Solutions Since 2009
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42

Status: Brian_R is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJABNetworks View Post
I know a guy who built one out of an old post office. It took a lot of work to transform it into a data center but it's great now. He had to completely redo the electrical work, restructure the roof with additional supports, add raised floors, and install security equipment and CCTVs.
As long as the local connectivity is there and power grid can support it, I suppose you could build a data center almost anywhere.
That's intriguing, how big was it? Maybe I'm just thinking of quaint old English countryside post offices, but wouldn't that be a really small facility? Did he operate it as a colo with customers or was it a corporate job?
__________________
Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
High Spec Colo, Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers and Storage with 100% renewable energy.
Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wheeling, West Virginia
Posts: 35
Send a message via Skype™ to DJAB Hosting

Status: DJAB Hosting is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_R View Post
That's intriguing, how big was it? Maybe I'm just thinking of quaint old English countryside post offices, but wouldn't that be a really small facility? Did he operate it as a colo with customers or was it a corporate job?
It's a colo facility about 6,000sqft and was certainly a larger post office. The facility was for large trucks and industrial equipment rather than the "office" side of the postal service.

You can't even tell it was a post office prior to being a data center. It looks like it was originally built as a data center (which is good IMO)
__________________
Andrew Benson - DJAB Hosting
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Unmanaged & Managed VPSs (OpenVZ & Xen), Dedicated Servers, Pittsburgh Colocation, and more!
www.DJABHosting.com - Business Class Hosting Solutions Since 2009
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42

Status: Brian_R is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAB Hosting View Post
It's a colo facility about 6,000sqft and was certainly a larger post office. The facility was for large trucks and industrial equipment rather than the "office" side of the postal service.

You can't even tell it was a post office prior to being a data center. It looks like it was originally built as a data center (which is good IMO)
That makes sense - I guess it was just the picture in my head of an ivy covered country cottage post office that jarred!
__________________
Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
High Spec Colo, Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers and Storage with 100% renewable energy.
Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 568

Status: HostOX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAB Hosting View Post
I know a guy who built one out of an old post office. It took a lot of work to transform it into a data center but it's great now. He had to completely redo the electrical work, restructure the roof with additional supports, add raised floors, and install security equipment and CCTVs.
As long as the local connectivity is there and power grid can support it, I suppose you could build a data center almost anywhere.
I guess it shows anything is possible!
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: