Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Discussion > How do they do it? Unlimited domains and bandwidth
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #16 (permalink)   01-27-2011, 09:15 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ashburn VA
Posts: 29

Status: Bitcable is offline
Unlimited / overselling hosts are no problem if every client keeps their resources low (how low is, of course, dependent on the host).

Quote:
I have found that even with our offer of unlimited add on domains, people rarely have more than a few.
Exact same situation here.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #17 (permalink)   01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 223

Status: HostEase is offline
The unlimited resource of shared hosting should be understood from two perspectives.One is that numerous websites shared server resources ,so some one will be in great demand for sources while others are not,therefore ,server resources could be allocated flexibly .The other is there is no doubt the server resources is limited,it definitely owns exact CPU,disk space,traffic and so on.
Therefore,so-called limited is relative from certain perspective.
__________________
HostEase Web Hosting
99.9% uptime guarantee
Weekly Backup For Shared Hosting
24/7/365 Email&LiveChat&Tel support
 
 
 


Old
  Post #18 (permalink)   01-30-2011, 06:50 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
The only two choices are lying or not lying.
Nothing relative about it.

Why not just offer a free trip on the space shuttle with every account. It would be more possible than unlimited.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #19 (permalink)   01-31-2011, 02:24 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,959
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
The only two choices are lying or not lying.
Nothing relative about it.

Why not just offer a free trip on the space shuttle with every account. It would be more possible than unlimited.
I love the analogy. Always wanted to travel to outer space ... walk on the Moon ... look back at the Earth and wave to everyone. LOL
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #20 (permalink)   02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 18

Status: Allwebsuite is offline
They will tell it is unlimited , but there will be a value which they hide.........
 
 
 


Old
  Post #21 (permalink)   02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1

Status: HostuponLuke is offline
There are quite a few hosts out there that put certain restrictions in place (especially on shared servers) for a very good reason.
You are ultimately sharing the server with other clients so resources need to be shared with everyone else (After all you don't want a client to consume all available resources)
__________________
Hostupon.com

The Best Unlimited FFMPEG Host Around!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #22 (permalink)   02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostuponLuke View Post
There are quite a few hosts out there that put certain restrictions in place (especially on shared servers) for a very good reason.
You are ultimately sharing the server with other clients so resources need to be shared with everyone else (After all you don't want a client to consume all available resources)
EVERY host puts limits on. That's the whole point. If they didn't the entire system would break down.

The ones who lie are the ones who claim they don't put limits on. The ones who are liars are the ones who offer "unlimited" anything. It's not possible therefore it's a lie.
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #23 (permalink)   02-03-2011, 03:14 AM
HD Master
 
Exmasters-Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 260

Status: Exmasters-Mark is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title
How do they do it?
I disagree with

Quote:
They lie. Pure and simple.
This is not a lie until it is put in a certain context. For example unlimited space might mean you will receive the new space as soon as you use all the given. But you will not. Because there is no site requiring more than 100 GB (in wider average points), plus, you were not provided by unlimited CPU and RAM, so you understand, everything as soon as you read Terms of Service, which is also under Marketing duty.

Unlimited within hosting, nothing more. Nothing about

Quote:
Unlimited doesn't exist but lack of ethics is in abundance.
Of course, it doesn't, but we all understand what does the word unlimited means.

As for bandwidth, the could be no limits to use per month, surely it doesn't mean the 'unlimited' data channel with unlimited wireless transfer or some other kinds of monsters.

And, I repeat, to know all this from inside, it is usually enough just to read TOS of the company you are going to use.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #24 (permalink)   02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,763

Status: Artashes is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmasters-Mark View Post
This is not a lie until it is put in a certain context. For example unlimited space might mean you will receive the new space as soon as you use all the given. But you will not. Because there is no site requiring more than 100 GB (in wider average points), plus, you were not provided by unlimited CPU and RAM, so you understand, everything as soon as you read Terms of Service, which is also under Marketing duty.
How is this not a lie? I can EASILY find a way to fill my disk space with 5,000,000,000,000 TB of files. Just rename the Linux OS that many times and keep uploading it in an "unlimited" sequence. Just that, not even downloading any of it (so there is no CPU usage whatsoever) - just for storing it and being able to access my file privately if I wanted to. Can anyone provide that for $5/mo?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #25 (permalink)   02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmasters-Mark View Post



This is not a lie until it is put in a certain context.


Wrong.
It's a lie as soon as you claim it. Period.
Check your dictionary.
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #26 (permalink)   02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,959
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
I just checked my dictionary - couldn't find unlimited bandwidth. Maybe I misspelled it.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #27 (permalink)   02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Unlimited
1.
not limited; unrestricted; unconfined
2.
boundless; infinite
3.
without any qualification or exception; unconditional


Regardless of the noun that follows it is a lie.
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #28 (permalink)   02-04-2011, 05:00 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30

Status: MilliR is offline
So unlimited DO EXIST as per the first definition lol...
Quote:
Unlimited
1.
not limited; unrestricted; unconfined
__________________
MilliR - icySrv.com
Serving you VPS
1Gbit KVM VPS
https://icysrv.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #29 (permalink)   02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 56

Status: gotlivechat is offline
The term 'unlimited' is used in so many markets that it's becoming a tired term :-) It's not just limited to web hosting either and web visitors are wising up to the fine print of such sales tactics.
Maybe a new term needs to be used?
__________________
John Rasri
White Label Click-To-Chat Software
GotLiveChat.com
Professional live chat reseller program
 
 
 


Old
  Post #30 (permalink)   02-05-2011, 08:20 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18

Status: greatseeder is offline
Going with a webhost offering unlimited bandwidth, disk space is only going to cause problems in the long run. Some customers are unaware of the fact that there IS a limit. For some people this might be confusing to start with, not everyone has experience in the webhosting field.

Secondly, is it worth it not knowing when your website is going to be suspended? Just look for a webhost which clearly mentions what you get for the amount you are paying.
But also pay attention here, if it looks too good to be true it probably is.
Nobody can offer you Terabytes of disk space and bandwidth for a couple of dollars.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: