Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Discussion > Your View On 'Unlimited' Hosting?
forgot password?



View Poll Results: Is cloud-powered Unlimited Hosting the future of this industry?
Yes, most definitely! 8 25.81%
Possibly, but only if the cloud network is truly capable of handling it. (ie. 500+TB of disk) 11 35.48%
No, unlimited will always be a marketing scam, no matter how advanced the technology becomes. 12 38.71%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread


Old
  Post #31 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:23 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidular View Post
Just here to clear up the air, and make sure we're all sticking with facts, rather than repeating myths and misinformation.


easyhostmedia, an unlimited hosting provider does not provide an infinite amount of disk or web space, nor does it offer a truly infinite hosting experience.
Unlimited is a type of hosting account that does not enforce predetermined disk or bandwidth quotas.
You seem to be under the impression that unlimited equals infinite, which it simply does not.
the reason i said some clients will complain as because they will think unlimited in unlimited, but when a host says unlimited disc space then they are breaking the law if this is not what they mean or provide. so if a host has a 300GB disc space HD that they pay $100 for and they offer unlimited disc space account for $5 then that user can use that whole 300GB disc space for his $5 as this is what the host advertised, so the host would have a hard time defending any action in a court if he refused this.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 


Old
  Post #32 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304

Status: bunnykins is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
well as i stated before you cannot really offer unlimited space as if a server has a 500GB hard drive then the limit is 500GB, you cant offer over this unless you add a further HD, but then all you have done is increased the limit.

Its like having a 1lt carton of milk, then the limit in that carton is 1 ltr
I totally agree with you.
__________________
I use cloudweb.com and powermonster.net for hosting my site http://otakuplayground.org.
 
 


Old
  Post #33 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 111

Status: Sidular is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
the reason i said some clients will complain as because they will think unlimited in unlimited, but when a host says unlimited disc space then they are breaking the law if this is not what they mean or provide. so if a host has a 300GB disc space HD that they pay $100 for and they offer unlimited disc space account for $5 then that user can use that whole 300GB disc space for his $5 as this is what the host advertised, so the host would have a hard time defending any action in a court if he refused this.
You are still misinterpreting the term. Unlimited disk space or bandwidth does not mean that the client will have access to an infinite amount of disk space or bandwidth, rather that the client will simply not have any kind of active quotas in place for his account.

This is in no way against the law, and if a host is sued for these actions, the host will in no way be held accountable for any loss of data or problems that the client may have experienced, as the host is providing the services advertised.

Unlimited does not indicate that the client has an infinite amount of data available to him, nor does it indicate that the client will have access to the entire server, and all of the resources that this server provides.

You are, quite simply, misinformed.
__________________
Tyler Harvey - Founder of Sidular
Sidular - https://sidular.com/
DoRoyal Hosting - http://www.doroyal.com/
 
 


Old
  Post #34 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidular View Post
You are still misinterpreting the term. Unlimited disk space or bandwidth does not mean that the client will have access to an infinite amount of disk space or bandwidth, rather that the client will simply not have any kind of active quotas in place for his account.

This is in no way against the law, and if a host is sued for these actions, the host will in no way be held accountable for any loss of data or problems that the client may have experienced, as the host is providing the services advertised.

Unlimited does not indicate that the client has an infinite amount of data available to him, nor does it indicate that the client will have access to the entire server, and all of the resources that this server provides.

You are, quite simply, misinformed.
in the eyes of the law Unlimited disk space is just that an unlimited amount of disc space, but if the HDD is 500GB then the LIMIT is 500GB. what you are on about is unmetered, where the host does not pose restrictions
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 


Old
  Post #35 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:49 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304

Status: bunnykins is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidular View Post

bunnykins, I of all people understand your distrust of the unlimited hosting provider. (read above)
However, a single situation or dispute with a certain company shouldn't be any kind of indication or representation of how other hosting providers manage their services. To assume that every provider that has and ever will offer unlimited hosting services operates in the same exact way as the one you had an issue with is a rather unrealistic generalization, one that simply is not true. (again, refer to my situation above)
It has actually been more then one. A lot more then one, I have had for more hosts then I can remember but it was far more then one. I can not remember for sure if the 3 hosts I had in row that went out of business offered unlimitted but I do not think so.

Most if not all the unlimitted hosts I have tried put some other limit in place that prevents me from even being able to use them. My site is around 20gb and the unlimitted hosts do not work for me. Most of the time it is an inode limit. With my current limited space host I can use all that is on my plan with out them saying any thing or doing any thing. Basically with my limited host I have all that I can eat sort of speak.
__________________
I use cloudweb.com and powermonster.net for hosting my site http://otakuplayground.org.
 
 


Old
  Post #36 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:55 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 111

Status: Sidular is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
in the eyes of the law Unlimited disk space is just that an unlimited amount of disc space, but if the HDD is 500GB then the LIMIT is 500GB. what you are on about is unmetered, where the host does not pose restrictions
Again, you are incorrect.

Unlimited, once again, refers to the lack of a predetermined quota. Limitations are likely still going to apply, either set by the host itself, or by the available hardware at hand.
If the host deems it appropriate to restrict the access or use of the network by demanding websites which require an extensive amount of the system resources to properly function, the host can legally request for this website to either be removed from the network entirely, or to transfer the website over to another dedicated server with sufficient processing capabilities.

This is, of course, entirely dependent on the hosting provider itself, and whatever policies they have in operation. There is no set rule, so I cannot speak on behalf of all providers out there. However, the fact remains; the unlimited hosting account is entirely legal, and in no way whatsoever breaks any federal, local or international laws, nor is the unlimited provider falsely advertising the services that they offer, as they do not make any such claims of being capable or able to offer an infinite amount of resources to any given website.
Once again, unlimited is regarding the quota, and nothing else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykins View Post
It has actually been more then one. A lot more then one, I have had for more hosts then I can remember but it was far more then one. I can not remember for sure if the 3 hosts I had in row that went out of business offered unlimitted but I do not think so.

Most if not all the unlimitted hosts I have tried put some other limit in place that prevents me from even being able to use them. My site is around 20gb and the unlimitted hosts do not work for me. Most of the time it is an inode limit. With my current limited space host I can use all that is on my plan with out them saying any thing or doing any thing. Basically with my limited host I have all that I can eat sort of speak.
Send me a PM. I'd like to know more about your website, and any requirements that it may have. (disk, network, etc)
__________________
Tyler Harvey - Founder of Sidular
Sidular - https://sidular.com/
DoRoyal Hosting - http://www.doroyal.com/
 
 


Old
  Post #37 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidular View Post
You are still misinterpreting the term. Unlimited disk space or bandwidth does not mean that the client will have access to an infinite amount of disk space or bandwidth, rather that the client will simply not have any kind of active quotas in place for his account.

This is in no way against the law, and if a host is sued for these actions, the host will in no way be held accountable for any loss of data or problems that the client may have experienced, as the host is providing the services advertised.

Unlimited does not indicate that the client has an infinite amount of data available to him, nor does it indicate that the client will have access to the entire server, and all of the resources that this server provides.

You are, quite simply, misinformed.
I am going to take you up on your earlier offer, later. For now I have only enough time for broadsides.

You are being presented with another familiar tactic of the anti-unlimited crowd. Even after your reasonable explanation they repeat the same thing again as if repetition is truth.

Here is the tactic in a nutshell: invent a hosting scenario for a shared hosting environment that will never work, even if it existed. Its the usual straw man fallacy.

The purpose is to confuse the reader into believing that unlimited hosts must provide the same resources to a shared site as if the shared site were on a dedicated server instead. And when the customer doesn't get a dedicated server for $5/mo they cry foul -- not the customer, but the anti-unlimited critic.

What the anti-unlimited critic forgets, or purposely ignores to win an argument, is that "unlimited" describes the hosting plan NOT the shared hosting environment.
 
 


Old
  Post #38 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidular View Post
Once again, unlimited is regarding the quota, and nothing else.
so if you have a HDD with a quota of 500GB space then you can get 1000GB space from that HDD. the limit of that HDD is 500GB quota you cant get more than 500GB space from that HDD.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 


Old
  Post #39 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
so if you have a HDD with a quota of 500GB space then you can get 1000GB space from that HDD. the limit of that HDD is 500GB quota you cant get more than 500GB space from that HDD.
there is no quota
 
 


Old
  Post #40 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 111

Status: Sidular is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
so if you have a HDD with a quota of 500GB space then you can get 1000GB space from that HDD. the limit of that HDD is 500GB quota you cant get more than 500GB space from that HDD.
I'm not sure what else I can say. You are still missing the key facts as to what an unlimited hosting account truly is.
__________________
Tyler Harvey - Founder of Sidular
Sidular - https://sidular.com/
DoRoyal Hosting - http://www.doroyal.com/
 
 


Old
  Post #41 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
there is no quota
if the disc is 500GB that than is the max. quota you can use on that disc.

i suggest Art close this thread as it is getting nowhere.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 


Old
  Post #42 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:09 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 111

Status: Sidular is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
if the disc is 500GB that than is the max. quota you can use on that disc.

i suggest Art close this thread as it is getting nowhere.
I believe this thread should remain open. It could be a very valuable learning experience for new readers who are trying to determine what an unlimited hosting plan truly provides, and what the general difference between limited and unlimited actually are.

As long as this doesn't turn into an irrational argument, I see no reason as to why this thread should be closed.
Then again, I'm obviously not an administrator here, so my opinion doesn't matter much in the long-run.
__________________
Tyler Harvey - Founder of Sidular
Sidular - https://sidular.com/
DoRoyal Hosting - http://www.doroyal.com/
 
 


Old
  Post #43 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304

Status: bunnykins is offline
My host has an interesting article about this very thing.

http://cloudweb.com/not-unlimited
__________________
I use cloudweb.com and powermonster.net for hosting my site http://otakuplayground.org.
 
 


Old
  Post #44 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
if the disc is 500GB that than is the max. quota you can use on that disc.

i suggest Art close this thread as it is getting nowhere.
Its getting nowhwere because some refuse to listen and learn

"max quota" has nothing to do with anything. You would have the same max quota as me. The difference is I don't use a quota system and you do. So "max quota" is only relevant to your plan model. There is no such thing as a "max quota" if you don't use quotas. Moreover, the quota is created by the provider and is independent of what is created by the hardware manufacturer
 
 


Old
  Post #45 (permalink)   05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304

Status: bunnykins is offline
The question is could I host my 20gb site on an account with you? You say you do not have a quota so I then should be able to.
__________________
I use cloudweb.com and powermonster.net for hosting my site http://otakuplayground.org.
 
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: