Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Discussion > "Green" Hosting? How Important Is It?
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #16 (permalink)   07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Just unplug your servers before going to bed
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Collabora For This Useful Post:
hostmything (08-12-2013)


Old
  Post #17 (permalink)   07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 304

Status: bunnykins is offline
As a customer I have looked at it as a gimmick so have not chosen a host based on that. I would think how ever that some going green things a host could do would save them money. Like buying servers that use less energy.
__________________
I use cloudweb.com and powermonster.net for hosting my site http://otakuplayground.org.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #18 (permalink)   08-02-2013, 09:14 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28

Status: LeetHost is offline
going for GREEN hosting doesnt matter much.it doesnt effect the environment at big extent.so its your own wish whether you want to go GREEN or not.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #19 (permalink)   08-03-2013, 07:45 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 107

Status: Stream101 is offline
Hmm...I have a big problem with the whole "going green" campaign and how businesses use it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for not destroying our planet. Personally, I wouldn't pay an outrageous amount to just have a green host. I also look at, "What does it cost (in $$ and in environmental waste) to get the host going green in the first place." For me, that is what I have a hard time understanding. If it costs more money and more harm to the environment over the lifetime of the product, how is it "Green?"
__________________
Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
Shared/Reseller cPanel® Web Hosting | SHOUTcast Hosting | ICEcast Hosting
TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee | DDoS Protection - STANDARD
100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | USA Based
 
 


Old
  Post #20 (permalink)   08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 71

Status: whland is offline
I would pay more for quality service. But not just because they're green.

It never affected my decision when looking for hosts. I'd go with the most reliable and trustworthy one whether they're green or not.

Chad
__________________
SpeedyCrow.com Website Hosting. Attracta SEO Tools | Adult Hosting

Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
 
 
 


Old
  Post #21 (permalink)   08-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 32

Status: qchost is offline
Just the new hosting fad. People will catch on soon enough and something else will be used to advertise..
 
 
 


Old
  Post #22 (permalink)   08-09-2013, 05:05 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 811

Status: Alex HubRocket is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetHost View Post
going for GREEN hosting doesnt matter much.it doesnt effect the environment at big extent.so its your own wish whether you want to go GREEN or not.
Based on what? A couple years back I heard datacenters starting using more than the entire airline industry! Whilst one server might not be to such an extent, when you add up every datacentre etc... it makes a huge impact.

Of course my opinion is that 99% of the web hosts use green as a marketing gimmick, the other 1% are serious about it. I guess the majority of the 99% can simply say they are a green host if the datacentre says they are green and advertise the datacenters efforts on their own website?
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex HubRocket For This Useful Post:
Stream101 (08-09-2013)


Old
  Post #23 (permalink)   08-09-2013, 08:55 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Utica, NY USA
Posts: 140

Status: hostmything is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex - Arvixe View Post
Based on what? A couple years back I heard datacenters starting using more than the entire airline industry! Whilst one server might not be to such an extent, when you add up every datacentre etc... it makes a huge impact.

Of course my opinion is that 99% of the web hosts use green as a marketing gimmick, the other 1% are serious about it. I guess the majority of the 99% can simply say they are a green host if the datacentre says they are green and advertise the datacenters efforts on their own website?
Yes, I've seen hosts do that. If their data center has a low PUE rating, than they will surely use that as a marketing tool. Just look at HostGator for example. Their page is plastered with how they are "Wind Powered".
__________________
Scott Murray - Owner of HostMyThing.com
Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Hosting
HostMything.com - http://hostmything.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #24 (permalink)   08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
HD Wizard
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PEI
Posts: 2,713

Status: Blue is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex - Arvixe View Post
Based on what? A couple years back I heard datacenters starting using more than the entire airline industry! Whilst one server might not be to such an extent, when you add up every datacentre etc... it makes a huge impact.

Of course my opinion is that 99% of the web hosts use green as a marketing gimmick, the other 1% are serious about it. I guess the majority of the 99% can simply say they are a green host if the datacentre says they are green and advertise the datacenters efforts on their own website?
You may have heard that. People hear a lot of things.
It is complete nonsense.
I like to base my decisions on fact.
Some industry needs to use energy. There are ways to reduce but at the end of the day if the reductions include interruptions in service you will die as and industry.
The data center is a LONG LONG way from ever overtaking the airline industry in pollution or carbon gasses and most likely never will overtake them.
__________________
Hampshire Hosting
Affordable Shared and Reseller Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #25 (permalink)   08-12-2013, 04:36 AM
HD Master
 
James-A's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 481
Send a message via AIM to James-A Send a message via MSN to James-A

Status: James-A is offline
Its just that it is important for any company to do its bit when it comes to saving the environment. Even if a company does not mention that it's based on the green hosting concept, it does not mean that the company is bad. The responsible and well managed web hosting companies generally make their contribution to the environment.
__________________
Webhosting.uk.com : cPanel Hosting in UK by WHUK | Domain ID Protection | WHUK's Cloud Hosting Services | WHUK's Dedicated Server Hosting
81% OFF .Store TLD | 70% OFF .shop TLD | 40% OFF .Blog TLD | 20% OFF .Cloud TLD
New TLDs Up for Grabs!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #26 (permalink)   08-12-2013, 10:07 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7

Status: Nopvup80 is offline
Most hosting providers nowadays offer green hosting to attract customers, but this is just a marketing trick to attract more customers.

<MOD NOTE: Mention of a hosting company snipped.>
 
 
 


Old
  Post #27 (permalink)   08-13-2013, 11:42 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,628

Status: ANMMark is offline
It would be literally impossible for a host/datacenter to be 100% green. Computers and electronics themselves give off harmful chemical emissions just because they're running. I've always found humor in running across a host that claims to be "100% green"
__________________
Mark
NIC™ - Network Innovative Concepts - Get ready for R.A.I.N.
Protect your website from hackers NIC™ - SiteLock
 
 
 


Old
  Post #28 (permalink)   08-14-2013, 02:41 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Between Earth & sky
Posts: 58
Send a message via Skype™ to VMakerHOST

Status: VMakerHOST is offline
I feel it just marketing sort of thing

other then that solor or wind power is quit strong but i have doubts about running datacenter on those type of power
__________________
VMakerHOST.Com USA, UK, Asia » Proudly serving websites since 2010
Shared, Reseller, ShoutCAST Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Server
Cloudlinux LiteSpeed CDN Softaculous Secure DNS FFmpeg
 
 
 


Old
  Post #29 (permalink)   08-14-2013, 04:58 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: India
Posts: 15

Status: hostmanmash is offline
I heard about this type of hosting very recently .... there concept is good .... but I'm confused how it gonna happen mm Its alll marketing tricks to attracts customers..
 
 
 


Old
  Post #30 (permalink)   08-27-2013, 06:56 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: India
Posts: 15

Status: hostmanmash is offline
Do oyu know how much energy a data centre consumes? Green hosting is a marketing Gimmick .... DO you think DC use alternate power source??
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: