Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Discussion > What's your support preference
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   05-25-2014, 01:20 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 22

Status: webline is offline
When it comes to support, most companies offer 24-7 support. This of course can mean many different things. Is is 24-7 support over the phone or is it 24-7 support over ticket system or chat?

I tend to prefer ticket support myself. It gives me an opportunity to upload print screens, copy word for word an error I might be getting and generally explain myself better.

For me 24-7 support should be a combination of phone, live chat and ticket system. I just feel it works better this way. Any thoughts?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   05-25-2014, 04:52 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to lowesthost

Status: lowesthost is offline
24/7 is what ever the provider says it is

even with phone or chat if it is a intricate issue that we open a support request to document the progress
__________________
Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
cPanel Licenses http://empire-hosting.net/buy-cpanel.html - Dedicated VPS /
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   05-25-2014, 08:54 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 64

Status: HostNurse is offline
We provide customer support for our clients through ticket system, while our phone support and live chat is dedicated to sales.
__________________
HostNurse.com - Serving Since 2011.
24/7 Support | cPanel | Softaculous | RVSiteBuilder & More.
Host Nurse - Affordable & Reliable Web Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   05-26-2014, 01:58 AM
HD Addict
 
HostZealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 147
Send a message via ICQ to HostZealot Send a message via Skype™ to HostZealot

Status: HostZealot is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by webline View Post
When it comes to support, most companies offer 24-7 support. This of course can mean many different things. Is is 24-7 support over the phone or is it 24-7 support over ticket system or chat?

I tend to prefer ticket support myself. It gives me an opportunity to upload print screens, copy word for word an error I might be getting and generally explain myself better.

For me 24-7 support should be a combination of phone, live chat and ticket system. I just feel it works better this way. Any thoughts?
We decided to abandon attempts to provide phone support for good. It just doesn't work in domain&hosting industry. You cannot call and say - I need 2 packs of Lagerm please deliver it to such address.

You should pass verification, describe the issue you experience, provide your domain name or hostin account details, provide all information you have available to speed up the solution of the issue. It is done without any mess via tickets or in chats.

Instead, you will have to listen to beep-beep-beep while customer support rep searches in the database, or contacts another person responsible, or deals with the issue. And you will be pinned to the phone meanwhile. Not to mention you cannot send any attachments like screenshots with phone.

Phone is good for sales indeed, because speaking with a live person on phone adds credibility to a company, so a visitor is turned into a customer. But after that - support is best provided in chats or tickets, because yelling on phone with frustration never helps solving any issues.
__________________
HostZealot - your content is online, always :)
Shared hosting | VPS hosting | Dedicated servers | Domain registration | SSL certificates
7 Global locations: Amsterdam, Ashburn, Chicago, Hong-Kong, London, Stockholm, Toronto
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   05-26-2014, 02:33 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 13

Status: yoni is offline
I believe only big providers can really support all 3 combinations that you mention. for me 24/7 support is actually A quick repalyment via one of the 3 combinations that you mention. as long as it will be in a reasonable response time
__________________
ClubVPS.com | True Cloud New York/Hong Kong/IL/Amsterdam Since 1999
- Reliable, Professional, High Availability Cloud Infrastructure with SSD boosted centralized storage.
- DATA CENTERS IN: New York, Amsterdam, Israel, Hong Kong.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   05-26-2014, 08:05 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7

Status: SWHC is offline
I prefer a chat 24/7 support (for the emergency), then also a 24/7 ticket system is really appreciate for advanced problems. You can add screenshots, notes, files, what you want. I think it's easy to solve problems in this way rather than a call.
__________________
Need a web hosting? Try our free Web Hosting Comparison Tool on sharedwebhostingcomparison.com
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   05-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 80

Status: crystallize is offline
We monitor 24/7 for Ticket support and phone. Initial response will be within 6hours. Our response will be faster during the office hours. After office hours and weekend, we only attend to emergency case such as network down or server down. Our live chat service operates during our office hours which is Monday to Friday 9AM to 6PM.

We prefer ticket support due to customer security. The other reason for the ticket is to track your issue and one of the technical support can take over and follow up and reply. If require we can upload screen shot and further informations.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   05-28-2014, 02:48 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostZealot View Post
We decided to abandon attempts to provide phone support for good. It just doesn't work in domain&hosting industry. You cannot call and say - I need 2 packs of Lagerm please deliver it to such address.

You should pass verification, describe the issue you experience, provide your domain name or hostin account details, provide all information you have available to speed up the solution of the issue. It is done without any mess via tickets or in chats.

Instead, you will have to listen to beep-beep-beep while customer support rep searches in the database, or contacts another person responsible, or deals with the issue. And you will be pinned to the phone meanwhile. Not to mention you cannot send any attachments like screenshots with phone.

Phone is good for sales indeed, because speaking with a live person on phone adds credibility to a company, so a visitor is turned into a customer. But after that - support is best provided in chats or tickets, because yelling on phone with frustration never helps solving any issues.

That's the thing my experience taught me tho - people will always have different preferences and they should be addressed accordingly. I've worked and currently work for a company with a 24/7 phone line. Is it great for tech support issues? Not particularly. Does it take more time and sometime lead to frustration? It sometimes does. Can it lead to misunderstandings over the phone and pretty long waits? Definitely. But at the end of the day the best you can do is explain that to the client and let them make the decision. People feel more confident when they are steering the wheel. I've had customers that just want phone support, regardless of longer waits. Sure, some cases you just have to direct the customer to the ticketing system and if the phone rep can justify that properly, then 90% of callers would not mind. Heck, after 2-3 such cases most learn how to easily use the ticketing and refrain from calling if their issue is too technical.

Pleasing the customer is exactly why many hosts offer 24/7 services or various methods like live chat, phone, mail, tickets etc. There is nothing wrong with that - now how are they handling their requests through all those communication methods is an entirely different story and that's exactly why clients should be wary and always test the quality of customer support before they sign for a service
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   05-28-2014, 07:08 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 77

Status: Gaby-HostDept is offline
24/7 Live chat support will be handy for the customers for quickly resolving issues.

Customer support should be given in all possible ways like phone, live chat and ticket system and that to 24/7
__________________
Follow us on star sports live...
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   05-28-2014, 11:59 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 142

Status: storminternet is offline
At least one should provide customer support 24x7 via live chats and tickets. Live chat and tickets are very handy and effective to communicate with customers and understand critical issues.

I think this should also reduce the issue resolution time as most of the level2, level3 engineers would like to support via chats and tickets. Level1 support can be engaged on phone line to assist customers for basic issues. However for sales and billing issues phone support is of great use where you can take the follow up with the customers for quick conversion and recovery
__________________
UK-Professional Web Hosting
Web Hosting Solutions | Cloud Hosting | Dedicated Servers
Lifetime Hosting
ISPA Award Winner:2013-Best SME Hosting | 2014-Best Dedicated Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   05-29-2014, 02:56 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
clients can contact us via live chat or support ticket as phone is for sales only.
if its a complex issue then if they come on live chat we will ask the client to open a support ticket as this was the issue can be tracked and a full record is recorded.
we have some clients email us, but we only reply asking them to use the support ticket system, so we can track the issue and its easier to pass the issue to other techs if needed.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   05-31-2014, 05:22 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2

Status: RLT-Alex is offline
My personal preference is ticket and live chat. Live chat for me is usually a urgent issue, such as server being down, asking the current status of a server etc.

Ticket is usually for sales, or issues which don't really have much 'urgency', such as software installation, or asking for a custom quote.

With phone- Skype offers free toll-free calls to any toll free number in the United States, so I sometimes use that to call companies (as I do not live in the United States). But the downside is usually their callcenter is only open 9am - 6pm, and I'm in the wrong time zone!
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   06-01-2014, 02:48 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,986
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT-Alex View Post
My personal preference is ticket and live chat. Live chat for me is usually a urgent issue, such as server being down, asking the current status of a server etc.

Ticket is usually for sales, or issues which don't really have much 'urgency', such as software installation, or asking for a custom quote.

With phone- Skype offers free toll-free calls to any toll free number in the United States, so I sometimes use that to call companies (as I do not live in the United States). But the downside is usually their callcenter is only open 9am - 6pm, and I'm in the wrong time zone!
I prefer tickets. where we have our main server no matter what time of day or night we always get a ticket response within a few minutes and normally a solution within an hour.

We are in the UK , but all our servers are in the USA, but we have a set of clocks set up with the different time zones to our server providers, so we know if we need them urgently we can tell if they are likely to be available to call on the phone.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   07-03-2014, 03:47 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12

Status: alexapamten is offline
Now maximum hosting companies provide 24/7 phone, chat and email support.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   07-03-2014, 05:07 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 811

Status: Alex HubRocket is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
I prefer tickets. where we have our main server no matter what time of day or night we always get a ticket response within a few minutes and normally a solution within an hour.
I thought you were a one man shop? Do you outsource or find yourself waking up constantly throughout the night?

At Arvixe we're happy to offer our clients with 24 / 7 phone, ticket, email and chat support. After all, clients want to be able to reach out to you with their preferred method so we try to make as many available as possible.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: