Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   08-22-2017, 03:53 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: India
Posts: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to breeze_host

Status: breeze_host is offline
Is there any way to migrate a live website from one server to another without taking any backup?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   08-22-2017, 05:17 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 568

Status: HostOX is offline
Only by using rsync or FTP, otherwise it would be better to use a backup and restore on the new server.
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   08-22-2017, 05:59 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze_host View Post
Is there any way to migrate a live website from one server to another without taking any backup?
why do this, best to always take a backup before doing any migration just in case things go wrong.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to easyhostmedia For This Useful Post:
HostLeet (09-01-2017)


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   08-23-2017, 12:04 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: India
Posts: 238
Send a message via Skype™ to 24x7server

Status: 24x7server is offline
Its always good to first take backup and then migrate live website.
__________________
www.24x7servermanagement.com
Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
Network Monitoring Team !! Skype: techs24x7
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   08-23-2017, 04:15 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,950
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24x7server View Post
Its always good to first take backup and then migrate live website.
No just good, but common sense as things can go wrong in migrations
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   08-23-2017, 06:37 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59

Status: PeteCCS is offline
Even if it was possible i would not advise it not only because you must have backups but also because any other way has a chance to corrupt your data.
__________________
[Ikoula]Dedicated Servers, VPS And SSD Public Cloud [1st on Performance Cloud]
Email Us / French, English and Spanish language phone and mail support
Datacenters in France, US, Singapour and Germany.
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteCCS For This Useful Post:
easyhostmedia (08-23-2017)


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   08-24-2017, 01:42 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 604

Status: ughosting is offline
If your site is purely HTML and not dynamic then this is easily done.

If you are running a CMS like WordPress then you will need a backup of the files and a database dump.
__________________
DDoS Protected, LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
█ Choose from Shared, Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   08-24-2017, 07:06 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 22

Status: saiefmahmud is offline
I am not sure if there is any other way to transfer. But if you have any other way, you should ignore without backup. Cause arising problems during migration is a very common issue.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   08-30-2017, 07:43 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SG
Posts: 43

Status: hynds is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze_host View Post
Is there any way to migrate a live website from one server to another without taking any backup?
I think you can do that. Try to transfer the source code first by using scp command. Then point the domain to the new DNS server. IMO
__________________
Godaddy Renewal Coupon 27% Off Domain and Hosting Latest in 2017
eCoupon - Free Coupons for Domain, Hosting and VPS Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   09-01-2017, 10:20 AM
HD Guru
 
HostLeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 874

Status: HostLeet is offline
It's not IF, it's WHEN things go wrong, so you should always have a backup ready or 2-3!
__________________
HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   09-04-2017, 02:26 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BA
Posts: 25
Send a message via MSN to nelsa Send a message via Yahoo to nelsa Send a message via Skype™ to nelsa

Status: nelsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze_host View Post
Is there any way to migrate a live website from one server to another without taking any backup?
Yes it is possible ...I done this few times for clients who couldn't generate backups....there are few ways to do it..SCP,FTP,rsync....you can just download all files with FTP and than upload it on other server...But it can be pain in the a** if you have big site and you're on crappy shared hosting with slow DL/UL...and ofcourse you will have to export database manualy also(if you have database)
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   09-04-2017, 07:22 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 604

Status: ughosting is offline
Another thing would to check if your host has Softaculous, as you can use this tool to take a backup, and if your destination host has Softaculous you can import it. If it doesn't you'll find a dump of the database and all your files in the backup, which wouldn't be too hard for someone determined to restore.
__________________
DDoS Protected, LiteSpeed + LiteMage on CloudLinux with SSD Disks, R1Soft, Softaculous, SIteBuilder, BitNinja, LetsEncypt & Patchman
UnixGuru: Accounts with 1-16 CPU Cores, 2-32GB RAM. Why use a VPS?
█ Choose from Shared, Reseller and Elastic-Sites Hosting
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   09-04-2017, 07:55 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BA
Posts: 25
Send a message via MSN to nelsa Send a message via Yahoo to nelsa Send a message via Skype™ to nelsa

Status: nelsa is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
Another thing would to check if your host has Softaculous, as you can use this tool to take a backup, and if your destination host has Softaculous you can import it. If it doesn't you'll find a dump of the database and all your files in the backup, which wouldn't be too hard for someone determined to restore.
Well users mostly ask this question if they go above the quota and there is no files that they can delete without breaking site..so in their case backup generation of any kind is not option since all backup generation files should be stored in user home directory and control panels or scripts like softaculous can't make backups..even if backup it self will be stored externaly it first have to be generated inside user home directory than copied...I have done these migration few times for users...
And few times I found out that user had backups..just old and since it was placed in home directory deleting it I made some room for new one..and i could use cpanel/plesk migrating tool(depending which hosting package user buy) BUT in some cases there was no work around ...it had to be done via FTP,SCP,rSync..etc and in all cases FTP was our tool to use.
Now I don't know is this the case here ...these are just some situation when users could find themself in situation without any option to generate backup file/s....
But when this happen they should check HOME,Above HTTDOCS,Above WWW or how it is named(this directory is one level higher than domain root directory like public_html ,httdocs,www)and look for old archive backups and also check is trash directory empty....if they have old backup than deleting it they can make room for new one

Last edited by nelsa : 09-04-2017 at 08:00 AM.
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   09-05-2017, 08:44 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3

Status: fillipdahn is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsa View Post
Well users mostly ask this question if they go above the quota and there is no files that they can delete without breaking site..so in their case backup generation of any kind is not option since all backup generation files should be stored in user home directory and control panels or scripts like softaculous can't make backups..even if backup it self will be stored externaly it first have to be generated inside user home directory than copied...I have done these migration few times for users...
And few times I found out that user had backups..just old and since it was placed in home directory deleting it I made some room for new one..and i could use cpanel/plesk migrating tool(depending which hosting package user buy) BUT in some cases there was no work around ...it had to be done via FTP,SCP,rSync..etc and in all cases FTP was our tool to use.
Now I don't know is this the case here ...these are just some situation when users could find themself in situation without any option to generate backup file/s....
But when this happen they should check HOME,Above HTTDOCS,Above WWW or how it is named(this directory is one level higher than domain root directory like public_html ,httdocs,www)and look for old archive backups and also check is trash directory empty....if they have old backup than deleting it they can make room for new one
Exactly! Or whenever their host doesn't support the backup system of any sort. It's also common In website builder based hosts, such as weekly or Wix. In any case, the question for the author:

What kind of host are you using and why wouldn't you want to move your website without a backup?

It's by all means possible if you have full access to the FTP (or other form of file manager) to of the server. This way you could move all the files by downloading them individually. Just like the previous replies have suggested.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   09-05-2017, 06:04 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BA
Posts: 25
Send a message via MSN to nelsa Send a message via Yahoo to nelsa Send a message via Skype™ to nelsa

Status: nelsa is offline
And just to add..for pure HTML/CSS/JS websites ...it can be just copied or downloaded from outside without any server access,since all code is exposed website can be copied or downloaded in full.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: