Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 05:37 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Name and URL of hosting company: Monte Carlo Hosting (www.montecarlohosting.net)
Hosted URL: No longer hosting with them.
Description of service used: Shared hosting (silver plan).
How long have you been using the service: Just over a year.
Detailed review:
I signed up with Monte Carlo Hosting having found them on another forum, where the owner, I now find, is a moderator. I specifically stated the need for phone support and was told that they just didn't 'advertise it', but sent their phone number to signed up customers. They did this: they gave me the owner's cell phone and home phone number, however, they continued to press for me to use the email support function, which for smaller problems, I did. The company appears to be run by just the owner and his wife. There appear to be no other employees.

Around August of 2010 I started noticing a lot of downtime, not only when I was trying to access my pages, but also through FTP, into the control panel and through WatchMouse reports. I was told it was because they found people using too many mods on their forums and they had 'taken care of it.' However, the downtime continued.

Then came a day when we weren't getting our email. I called the numbers provided, and the owner of the company was gone. His wife told us that they had done an audit, and found that we were on the wrong plan and that I now was over my disk usage limit, so without notice, they switched us back to the plan they initially recommended, which effectively cut off our email and my link to my clients. I don't know how long I was down.

She attempted to give tech support, but was clearly not a qualified technical support advisor, so I asked to speak with her husband. She said he was unavailable, and it appears if he is unavailable there just simply is no qualified tech support at all, since just he and she run the company.

I finally convinced her to raise my disk limit until I could get this resolved with her husband. I then, repeatedly, requested a call from her husband. I never got it. I wondered if he was waiting until after the holidays to deal with it, and then on Christmas Eve, they reversed it again, thereby shutting down my email, having never have given me the call which I had repeatedly requested. To reiterate, prior to my signing up with him, he swore up and down I would have phone support. We finally reached him when we found our email cut off on Christmas Eve. He presented the situation as if he had done some sort of grand favor to me by having had me on the wrong plan for a year, even though I was unaware of that fact. And to reiterate, when they discovered *their* error, they simply downgraded me without any kind of notification, which effectively cut off my email.

Both he and his wife however, were quick to tell me I needed to 'upgrade'. I've since seen a post elsewhere from someone saying how she 'quickly outgrew her disk space and was told she needed to upgrade.' I, myself, know that my disk space was virtually the same going in as when I left. (I had even showed him a screenshot of it when asking what plan I needed to be on before I signed up.) I also found it was very convenient that this 'audit' took place right after I had paid for an entire year.

The bottom line is that, prior to signing up, I showed the owner of the company how much disk space I used and asked what plan I needed to be on. Based on the information he told me, I signed up. He initially put me on the wrong plan, allocated with unlimited disk space, without my knowing he had done so. My disk usage never significantly changed from when I first signed up with him. I was not responsible for him putting me on the wrong plan and once he realized the mistake in his 'audit', I feel I should have been notified and offered the option to either upgrade, or leave with a pro-rated refund, instead of them just switching it to a lower plan which, certainly, they had to know would affect my email, which is the life blood to my clients, especially my international ones.

I am now out a year's worth of hosting because he refused to pro-rate my plan for the 11 remaining months, but that money is a small price to pay to get out of what I feel is a highly unprofessional host which showed no concern for the idea that my business was being affected due to the email problem, and one in which I'm not comfortable with the way in which this 'need to upgrade' came about. It doesn't sit right with me and I would not recommend this host to anyone.

Pros: Brief outline of company's positive characteristics.
-- You work directly with the owner of the company, if that's an important point to you.

Cons: Brief outline of company's negative characteristics.
-- Increasing downtime as of late, to which they take no responsibility
-- Servers don't appear to be adequate to handle allowing people to place mods on their forum (this is surmised between the things they have told me and reviews I've read about them elsewhere.)
-- Live chat was only staffed once out of all the times I tried to use it over the course of a year.
-- Phone support woefully inadequate, *if* you can get it.
-- They seem to promise anything just to get you to sign up.
-- Made un-reversable errors in migrating and merging a forum. (At least he said their irreversible, I'm not sure if that's true or he just didn't want to fix the problem.)
-- Unprofessional in handling a problem.

Would you recommend this company to your best friend?
-- Absolutely not.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
HD Addict
 
webling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243

Status: webling is offline
A man and his wife running their own hosting company isn't a bad thing and neither is it wrong, but if there is not enough expertise or they are unavailable then it can work against them. In my own situation I work alone but I carry a laptop and a cell phone when I am out of the office and I use a wireless connection so I can take care of customers where ever I am.

Mostly what you want is someone who is available. Small companies have to start out by doing things without help but it sounds like they got into this business because they just want to make money and not necessarily because they enjoy this kind of work and the people involved in it.

I would say that you need to host with a company that does not push you to upgrade or coerce you in something you aren't comfortable with. They need to understand the technical aspects of the servers they are working with. I know that when I am seeking an upstream provider I ask a few questions first. Many times they either have a contact form, email address or support ticket system you can use to communicate with them.

I will use either their contact form or support ticket system and see how well they respond to that before making a decision about securing a server with them. If I become interested and they want my business I will get on the phone with one of their sales reps and ask more questions.
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 06:14 PM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,764

Status: Artashes is offline
What a review, thank you for the effort in actually writing something that can be held to a higher standard to other reviews.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
CSN-UK | Charlie
 
csn-uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Swindon (UK)
Posts: 470
Send a message via MSN to csn-uk

Status: csn-uk is offline
Certainly a nice and thorough review of your experience with your hosting provider, it is a shame as always that another user has had the unfortunate experience with another of the many hosts that let the side down for the industry.

I always surpasses me how small one or two member teams hope to offer phone, live and ticket support on a 24/7 basis, even on shift this would be an increasingly difficult task, let alone other commitments within a company that size.

I find it interesting how you have highlighted that you noticed the staff's levels of interest during your experience and that you consider consulting the owner/CEO directly an advantage, I have always somewhat noticed that clients (some) find this a tad intimidating (just me?), however must agree that an interest in not just hosting, design development and the web in general is essential.

As for the future I can only reiterate webling, research and testing are your most powerful tools
__________________
CSN-UK | Shared Hosting | Dedicated | VPS | Custom Packages Avalible On Request | Quality SSL Certificates from COMODO CA
CSN-UK.net | Server Status | Client Area | Live Support

Last edited by csn-uk : 01-16-2011 at 06:36 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by webling View Post
A man and his wife running their own hosting company isn't a bad thing and neither is it wrong, but if there is not enough expertise or they are unavailable then it can work against them.

Mostly what you want is someone who is available. Small companies have to start out by doing things without help but it sounds like they got into this business because they just want to make money and not necessarily because they enjoy this kind of work and the people involved in it.
Agreed. I think it can be an advantage to having personalized attention but, as you say, the people need to be in it because they love what they do, not for the money. Of course, that goes for anything.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
What a review, thank you for the effort in actually writing something that can be held to a higher standard to other reviews.
Thanks. You guys have been a big help. It was worth the effort.

Caat
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 06:34 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by csn-uk View Post
As to support, there are as ever the good and the bad but It still surpasses me how a two man/woman team could hope to offer phone, live and ticket support for more than a small number of clients, let alone on a 24/7 basis.
Agreed. I'm guessing it was just the fact that he wanted my business and I reiterated that phone support was a requirement. I'm happy with my current host, but I would think I will be much more cautious about taking someone's word for it in the future, even if it is the owner.

Caat
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 59

Status: Hostigation is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Agreed. I think it can be an advantage to having personalized attention but, as you say, the people need to be in it because they love what they do, not for the money. Of course, that goes for anything.
While I agree you need to be in the business for the love of it, why can't it be about the money as well? I love what I do, but need money to pay for food and shelter like anyone else. I would question anyone doing this and not having any care about the money unless they were truly a micro enterprise, or associates pooling together. Without a reasonable profit, how long before the love becomes not worth the aggravation for little/no reward.
__________________
Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
SolusVM VPS Hosting - cPanel/DirectAdmin
Like us on Facebook and watch for coupons
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   01-16-2011, 08:09 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostigation View Post
While I agree you need to be in the business for the love of it, why can't it be about the money as well? I love what I do, but need money to pay for food and shelter like anyone else. I would question anyone doing this and not having any care about the money unless they were truly a micro enterprise, or associates pooling together. Without a reasonable profit, how long before the love becomes not worth the aggravation for little/no reward.
Of course people have to make money, they have to live. But if that's the *only* reason they're doing it, or when money becomes such a prime focus that you forget how to treat your customers, then that's not a good thing. That's what I was saying.

Last edited by bigcaat : 01-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,964
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is online now
Thanks for the thorough review. It's a shame that you had to jump through hoops for support though. Unfortunately, there are a lot of providers out there just like this. Good luck with your current host.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   01-18-2011, 02:48 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 67

Status: CrocWeb is offline
Thanks for sharing it with us, good luck with your new host.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   02-26-2011, 03:52 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 33
Send a message via MSN to xester Send a message via Skype™ to xester

Status: xester is offline
thanks for your review, its bad you had on that situation but please, only one its not all of, so you will find better.
__________________
www.HostPrime.net - Web Solutions
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
HD Guru
 
HostMantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 691

Status: HostMantis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Agreed. I'm guessing it was just the fact that he wanted my business and I reiterated that phone support was a requirement. I'm happy with my current host, but I would think I will be much more cautious about taking someone's word for it in the future, even if it is the owner.

Caat
Would you mind telling us who you are now hosting with?
__________________
HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
Shared Reseller 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
CloudLinux Softaculous Premium CloudFlare Multi PHP
HostMantis on: Facebook Twitter
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   02-27-2011, 11:00 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 25

Status: bigcaat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostMantis View Post
Would you mind telling us who you are now hosting with?
Based on a lot of the reviews on this forum, I chose HostGator.

Caat
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
HD Guru
 
HostMantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 691

Status: HostMantis is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Based on a lot of the reviews on this forum, I chose HostGator.

Caat
Good choice, you should be happy with them.
__________________
HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
Shared Reseller 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
CloudLinux Softaculous Premium CloudFlare Multi PHP
HostMantis on: Facebook Twitter
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: