Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   12-22-2014, 04:18 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK & USA
Posts: 17

Status: martfox is offline
Avoid them!!!
__________________
Reliable Web Hosting | Ecommerce Hosting | VPS Hosting
Reliable Shared and VPS Web Hosting UK & US based servers, LiteSpeed Powered
CS-Cart Software with 1 Year Free Hosting, SSL Certificates
cPanel, Autoinstaller, Free Site Transfer, Exceptional 24/7 Support
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   12-23-2014, 12:33 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 810

Status: Alex HubRocket is offline
What issues are you having with them ?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   12-23-2014, 11:13 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 251

Status: RH-Calvin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by martfox View Post
Avoid them!!!
It will be helpful if you can elaborate your experience with them. We really do like to know the reason stated here.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   12-24-2014, 03:05 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Short, vague, with as little details as possible...you will make a great politician, man
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to Mia_ Send a message via MSN to Mia_ Send a message via Yahoo to Mia_

Status: Mia_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by martfox View Post
Avoid them!!!
As in the Web Hosting Talk forums?
__________________
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
17 Years in the Hosting Business!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   12-24-2014, 04:53 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 810

Status: Alex HubRocket is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_ View Post
As in the Web Hosting Talk forums?
Yes, WHT forums.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   12-24-2014, 05:28 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to Mia_ Send a message via MSN to Mia_ Send a message via Yahoo to Mia_

Status: Mia_ is offline
Can you be more specific as to the "avoid them" comment? Avoid what?
__________________
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
17 Years in the Hosting Business!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   12-25-2014, 02:47 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK & USA
Posts: 17

Status: martfox is offline
Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...
__________________
Reliable Web Hosting | Ecommerce Hosting | VPS Hosting
Reliable Shared and VPS Web Hosting UK & US based servers, LiteSpeed Powered
CS-Cart Software with 1 Year Free Hosting, SSL Certificates
cPanel, Autoinstaller, Free Site Transfer, Exceptional 24/7 Support
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   12-25-2014, 03:51 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Isle of Anglesey, UK
Posts: 11

Status: [HRD]-Gareth is offline
They don't normally delete posts.

They do ask you though to submit proof that you are/where a customer, so that they can ensure that it is a legit review (as in you are actually a customer of theirs).

Personally, I do not see anything wrong in this approach, it weeds out shills, or people posting bad things about one of their competitors. Like anything though, it is not going to be perfect, they will make mistakes.
__________________
Host Red Dragon Ltd., A Customer Service Orientated Webhost! Different!.
Linux Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp REAL!! 24/7 Tech Support
Fully Managed Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Anytime Moneyback Guarantee!
Follow us on Twitter @hostreddragon Follow us on facebook @hostreddragon
 
 
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [HRD]-Gareth For This Useful Post:
Rado_Ch (12-25-2014)


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   12-25-2014, 03:13 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by martfox View Post
Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...

Moderation is something that every such forum needs, otherwise nothing will stop pissed off clients bashing hosts left and right. Also consider this - there isn't another forum with so many people who have knowledge from this particular niche and those are people who can easily read such a thread and determine who has more rights in the case - host or clients.

As someone visiting the forums almost on a daily basis I can tell you that daily there quite a few negative posts about certain companies. Sometimes its really a horrible service from a host, sometimes its a person that got pissed for all the wrong reasons. At the end of the day anyone can express an opinion but they have to be prepared to accept the opinions of others too - this is the magic of the public forum
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   12-26-2014, 10:45 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 51
Send a message via AIM to wh-coach Send a message via Skype™ to wh-coach

Status: wh-coach is offline
I don't think you need to avoid them - just accept that you are being socially engineered. it isn't different for any forum - hostingdiscussion is the same. Why do I reply to threads on any forum? Because my sig gets viewed and maybe somebody comes by the my website and signs up. Assume that's why you're seeing every response to every thread and govern your reaction accordingly and suddenly things have a whole new light.

Am I being cynical or jaded? I prefer to consider myself seasoned.

I've been on WHT since I think 2001 or 2002... I don't recall. All the moderation things they do are in place for a reason. Many of the reasons have been forgotten but it's the way things are now. They're running a forum with who knows how many active members and the rules are in place to stop things from being the wild west show. It used to be pretty wild.

They aren't out to 'get' anyone and they don't owe you anything. If you like their service, part of the price of admission is working with their rules. if you don't like the rules or the community or whatever, as you said in your first post, avoid them. Not much more to be said about the topic.
__________________
Availanet Solutions - Helping you stretch your hosting dollar since 2003 -
Highly Flexible VPS Solutions at Reasonable Prices
 
 
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wh-coach For This Useful Post:
Rado_Ch (12-26-2014)


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   12-26-2014, 09:28 PM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Costa Rica
Posts: 88
Send a message via ICQ to dwhs Send a message via Skype™ to dwhs

Status: dwhs is offline
Yeah, the whole thing is fake. Welcome to the matrix.

It amazing em how Google rewards such corrupt websites.
__________________
Charles - With WebHost.pro since 2001.
WebHost.pro - Web Hosting Dedicated Servers VPS Add your host here
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   12-27-2014, 02:09 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 4,852
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by martfox View Post
Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...
On WHT did you use the report button and provide the details of which site you hosted with the host you were leaving a review of, if you did not do this then they will delete posts as they have no idea if the review was genuine as you could just be a competitor bad mouthing the competition
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
Niceday Hosting - Affordable Hosting
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   12-29-2014, 09:54 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 36
Send a message via AIM to Mia_ Send a message via MSN to Mia_ Send a message via Yahoo to Mia_

Status: Mia_ is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by martfox View Post
Simply avoid them to make some decisions about "good" and "bad" hosting companies... E.g. if you write a bad rewiev of "someone" there, they will simply delete your post or the whole thread... then at the end, you are the bad person because your server e.g. was down for 2 days, or it's your fault, that nobody answered your support tickets since xx hours... (this post is related to some hosting company)...
That is unusual. I rarely if ever see then delete posts, though a great many that you just described certainly should be.

I will agree that there are issues at WHT and things that can be quite irritating, but that is the same of just about every forum.

The moderation is lacking when it comes to the types of posts that are allowed at WHT. Some of the biggest offenders are those that post their support questions on WHT when they should be asking their provider for help. Then you have the people that have really unrealistic requests for service and want $4000 servers for $30/mo. And finally the ones that come to WHT to bitch that it took more than 5 seconds to get their order processed and were completely offended that the reason their order was held up was because they used someone else's credentials and a stolen credit card.

99.9% of the post at WHT are crap, I'll give you that. But I have rarely if ever seen them delete any of these crap posts. If they are now, its a great step in the right direction.
__________________
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
17 Years in the Hosting Business!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   01-02-2015, 07:45 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 327

Status: Rado_Ch is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_ View Post
That is unusual. I rarely if ever see then delete posts, though a great many that you just described certainly should be.

I will agree that there are issues at WHT and things that can be quite irritating, but that is the same of just about every forum.

The moderation is lacking when it comes to the types of posts that are allowed at WHT. Some of the biggest offenders are those that post their support questions on WHT when they should be asking their provider for help. Then you have the people that have really unrealistic requests for service and want $4000 servers for $30/mo. And finally the ones that come to WHT to bitch that it took more than 5 seconds to get their order processed and were completely offended that the reason their order was held up was because they used someone else's credentials and a stolen credit card.

99.9% of the post at WHT are crap, I'll give you that. But I have rarely if ever seen them delete any of these crap posts. If they are now, its a great step in the right direction.
I see your point but I think its a little misconstrued. The concept of a "crap post" is a little different for you and for me. WHT may be a hosting forum but above all its a great learning place. All those cases you mentioned might seem very silly for you and me but they are hella serious for the person who posts them.

Many people seeking help also contacted their providers first but found no answer or got a ridiculous answer from the host. The ones with unrealistic requests have such just because they are novice users and don't know better. If you encounter hosting for the first time and see a ludicrous offer like HG's $1 dollar all unlimited hosting and see some review sites that HG are the best what will you logically think? If I can take so much for so little money, a great big server shouldn't cost much more... As for fraudsters, spending many many years in the business I've noticed that most of them prefer to stay hidden as possible. Stealing someone's CC credentials and going on a huge public forum to moan about a delayed order is something that happens really rarely. Its much easier for them to just move to the next company and try there (Hell, they will find a place where it works). At the end of the day most hosts use WHT for the ads and exposure while clients use it to get some help and as more experienced users we shouldn't deny them such just because their question is rather silly. This is what the hosting customer service mostly does after all.

Now spammers and copied one-line responses with no usefulness or affiliation to the question is a whole other story. Those should be banished from any forum's land and I do think that WHT is doing very good in this aspect (mostly compared to around 10 more forums I frequently visit).
__________________
www.WebHostFace.com where Service always comes with a smiling face!
Contact us for Shared, VPS, Reseller and Dedicated Hosting Solutions.
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: