Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Website Development & Design > How to determine Keyword Density
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,264

Status: handsonhosting is offline
Repost from http://blog.handsonwebhosting.com

It seems that more and more we're seeing questions regarding Keyword Density, what it means and how to measure it. Here's a quick synapses of keyword density and weight.

Keyword density is a percentage of the total words on a page.

If you have 150 words on a page, and you're using a keyword 7 times in that content, the keyword is determined by the following:
7 (keyword usage) divided by 150 = 0.0467 or 4.67%

The standard keyword density is between 3% and 5%. If you increase more than 5% you run the risk of having your page rejected by the search engines as you're essentially spamming your keyword to the engine. DON'T DO IT!!

Keyword Density can be naturally achieved in just regular content, and that's how it should be achieved. You can spin an article if you wanted, but be careful on these too as you can get banned from certain article writing/submission places.

Keep the keyword density to between 3% and 5% and you'll be fine. Keywords can be more than just ONE word, it can be "keyword phrase", and plurals count too. People don't search for "hosting" they search for "web hosting", and more often than not, they narrow that down to "linux web hosting" or "cpanel fantastico web hosting" or even "reliable linux web hosting with cpanel". Structure your site and pages to cater to these words, and you'll see your site climb in the search engines, and convert to traffic.

We use http://www.live-keyword-analysis.com as they have a free keyword density tool. Give it a spin and make sure that you're within the limits of the 3 and 5 for ideal exposure.
__________________
Emerson Nogueira
http://www.HandsOnWebHosting.com
cPanel Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Managed VPS Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   09-09-2009, 02:04 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Thanks for the tips on keyword density, Conor. Also keep in mind keyword dilution if your site has heavy content or allows user generated comments.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kalamazoo, MI USA
Posts: 657
Send a message via AIM to Zachary McClung

Status: Zachary McClung is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsonhosting View Post
Repost from http://blog.handsonwebhosting.com

It seems that more and more we're seeing questions regarding Keyword Density, what it means and how to measure it. Here's a quick synapses of keyword density and weight.

Keyword density is a percentage of the total words on a page.

If you have 150 words on a page, and you're using a keyword 7 times in that content, the keyword is determined by the following:
7 (keyword usage) divided by 150 = 0.0467 or 4.67%

The standard keyword density is between 3% and 5%. If you increase more than 5% you run the risk of having your page rejected by the search engines as you're essentially spamming your keyword to the engine. DON'T DO IT!!

Keyword Density can be naturally achieved in just regular content, and that's how it should be achieved. You can spin an article if you wanted, but be careful on these too as you can get banned from certain article writing/submission places.

Keep the keyword density to between 3% and 5% and you'll be fine. Keywords can be more than just ONE word, it can be "keyword phrase", and plurals count too. People don't search for "hosting" they search for "web hosting", and more often than not, they narrow that down to "linux web hosting" or "cpanel fantastico web hosting" or even "reliable linux web hosting with cpanel". Structure your site and pages to cater to these words, and you'll see your site climb in the search engines, and convert to traffic.

We use http://www.live-keyword-analysis.com as they have a free keyword density tool. Give it a spin and make sure that you're within the limits of the 3 and 5 for ideal exposure.
Conor, do you outsource yourself for SEO work?
__________________
Zachary McClung, Sales & Marketing Manager - Need a Quote? E: zach@jaguarpc.com
JaguarPC.com - Managed VPS Hosting
Resellerzoom.com -Cpanel Reseller hosting
modVPS.com - Unmanaged VPS | Multiple Locations | Since 1998
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 05:31 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18

Status: austinjames is offline
great post!

I like the idea of keyword density and I believe in it. I am just wondering where we get the 3% to 5% density.

thanks a lot, very informative.
__________________
SEO Marketing Ireland * SEO Ireland
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 07:10 AM
HD Master
 
bobchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 484

Status: bobchrist is offline
Thanks for the post & keyword density tools! the keyword density 3% and 5% seems ideal for Google but I guess it would vary for other search engines.
__________________
Raid-x
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 07:50 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
3% to 5% is simply a determination of how those keywords would flow in normal conversation or text. Too many keywords in the content appears to be spamming and too few appears that the keyword doesn't relate to the content well. It's a perception of relevance.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,264

Status: handsonhosting is offline
I actually don't do much of the SEO other than internally for myself. I do work closely with a web design company that does SEO work and together we work on some smaller projects but SEO is a full time gig and hosing is a full time gig, so I get to only choose one

I'm all for helping others and giving feedback for what has worked, what doesn't work and what can be exploited, but I"m not really in a position to take on contract jobs. If you want the name of the company that I work with, drop me a PM here and I'll send you the link. I do collaborate with them on a lot of projects, but I don't OFFICIALLY offer an SEO Service myself.
__________________
Emerson Nogueira
http://www.HandsOnWebHosting.com
cPanel Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Managed VPS Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
HD Wizard
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,264

Status: handsonhosting is offline
The 3-5% works pretty much as a rule for all the engines. Going much higher than that and you start to tread in a territory that usually doesn't last too long.

You can easily blow up a site and get a few thousand visitors a day, however after a 3 month run (if it lasts that long) the domain will have almost no traffic as it would be blocked in search engines.

Keywords and relevant information will help avoid the drop off as long as it's done tactfully.
__________________
Emerson Nogueira
http://www.HandsOnWebHosting.com
cPanel Web Hosting, Domain Registration, Managed VPS Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 40

Status: redrunner is offline
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew key word density was important, but didn't know much about it. I had heard about the 3-5%, but didn't know how they were calculating it.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
~Pixel Queen~
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 290
Send a message via AIM to The-Pixel Send a message via MSN to The-Pixel Send a message via Skype™ to The-Pixel

Status: The-Pixel is offline
Great advice, thank you for sharing.
__________________
Lindi Wheaton
I <3 Pixel's
The-Pixel :: Get a custom WEB DESIGN today!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 106

Status: narendrasv is offline
Keyword density may also vary on its uses, specially when it is use in a site that has a large capacity and a slower downloading.
__________________
Affordable & Best Web Hosting Service | 2x7 Customer Support | 99% Uptime Guarantee | Blazing Fast Servers | Bloggers Most Trusted Web Hosting Service | Use Coupon "WEBHOSTING" And Get 20% OFF! - Limited Time OFFER!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   10-19-2009, 10:04 AM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,720

Status: Artashes is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by narendrasv View Post
Keyword density may also vary on its uses, specially when it is use in a site that has a large capacity and a slower downloading.
I read it a few times, but I still do not understand what you mean by large capacity or slow downloading when it comes to keyword density.

Could you please explain what you meant?
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   10-20-2009, 12:29 AM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 106

Status: narendrasv is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
I read it a few times, but I still do not understand what you mean by large capacity or slow downloading when it comes to keyword density.

Could you please explain what you meant?
Maybe I misunderstood my thoughts.

What I mean is our keyword density needs larger capablities, not capacity. Larger capabilities like we say at least 2% is needed. Ezine articles do not accept keywords above 2%, so we have larger capabilities on getting enough traffic and unique visitors.

The "slow loading" thing is depend on the article directory like Ezine to load the page, not "downloading". Once again, I misunderstood everyone here. hahaha!
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 4,945
Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve

Status: SenseiSteve is offline
Ok, I'm still not seeing the connection of keyword density to the loading of pages.
__________________
ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   11-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Hosting Service
 
host1plus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 77
Send a message via Skype™ to host1plus

Status: host1plus is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-Hostirian View Post
Ok, I'm still not seeing the connection of keyword density to the loading of pages.
Agree
Please clarify somebody this?
__________________
Host1Plus.com - Professional Multi-Location Web Hosting Service.
Providing Unlimited Bandwidth And Disk Space.
Friendly And Operative 24/7 Support Team.
Get The Best Service With 99.9% Uptime!
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: