Thread: Trying to grow
View Single Post

Post #23 (permalink)   02-12-2018, 05:51 AM
HD Master
Send a message via Skype™ to whmcsguru

My own 0.02 on the topic:

I started my first online 'business' years ago. I'm not talking about the hobby I used to pass the time (mud hosting) , but the first genuine business that I felt could take me away from my 'day job'. In 2002, it took me about 4 months to realize my potential and leave my day job.

That being said, I do not recommend doing this today, or to anyone who is looking for a hosting company. Sorry kids, but you're not going to get there for years to come.

My trick? I have never sold 'hosting' to supply my main income. I provide the services that keep those companies running. Whether it's server administration to WHMCS administration, manipulation, etc... It's where the money is. Screw selling 'hosting'. That's a child's game that (literally) children are getting into every summer because 'bored'.

My second trick? I spent YEARS enveloping myself in what I was doing before I dared to call myself a systems admin, or a programmer. We're talking probably 5 years, with no Windows, nothing but a Linux PC, modifying the hell out of it, breaking it, fixing it, programming various crap . I (almost) miss those days... You're not going to get anywhere just trying to 'own your host'. Again, that's childs play. Go to work as an apprentice for a host, work your way from the mail room up to management, as it were... Get the know how before you get into things.
Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
Check out my WHMCS Addons
+1 - 866-546-8914 / skype - admin_139201 / twitter/facebook - @whmcsguru
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whmcsguru For This Useful Post:
easyhostmedia (02-12-2018), SenseiSteve (02-12-2018)