On most cases MariaDB is providing better performance than Mysql while standing with a good compatibility for scripts that made depending on Mysql .
Today i will learn you how to switch to MariaDB on cPanel server and try to fix compatibility issues "if happened" .
Let's follow my instructions :
First we will make a backup of our Mysql files & databases :
1) Go to your WHM panel "Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager" .
2) Uncheck "MySQL Server" to disable and take it down until we finish our backup .
3) Connect to your server shell and do the following command to make an copy of all mysql files :
cp -r /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql_backup
4) Go to your WHM panel "Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager"
5) Check "MySQL Server" again and save .
6) Go back to your server shell and do this command to take dump all databases in one file :
mysqldump --all-databases --force > /var/lib/mysql_backup/all-databases.sql
Now let's go through the switching instructions :
1) Go to your WHM panel "Home » SQL Services » MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade"
2) Choose "MariaDB 10.2" from list and click on "Continue" button .
3) Check all boxes and click on "Continue" button .
4) Now you will see tow options to choose between just choose "Interactive Upgrade" to go through upgrading process for any exist database .
5) Click on "Continue" button and wait it to finish .
Remember that MariaDB 10.2.4+ strict mode is enabled by default so if you countered some compatibility issue on insert queries like this :
Field xxxx has no default value
Connect to your server shell and modify my.cnf by using the following command :
Then add the following line after "[mysqld]" section :
sql-mode = "NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
Now restart MariaDB server to apply new configuration by using this command :
service mysql restart
That's all .