Do people really shop web hosting holiday deals?

CanSpace

We have never really offered any special holiday deals because I found people do not really shop web hosting as they do traditional products. It feels like all these holiday offers meant to display timely relevancy more than generate a spike of sales.

I am wondering if things have changed. Outside of direct contact promotions (via newsletter, account announcements, etc), do you find that people wait out and come to your site to buy web hosting, specifically during special offers during Halloween, Black Friday, etc?

It's been my experience that Black Friday deals do indeed generate a spike in sales, but not so much general Holiday promotions.

The only way I've seen Holiday Deals work in hosting is when you're also offering a "we'll move you" type offer. Essentially, the person has already committed to move from their existing host and now they're just looking for a deal to move.

I've not seen hosting deals work as a stand-alone holiday promo. As Steve said, maybe as a Black Friday - we used to see people upgrading hosting with a Black Friday deal, but not so much for a brand-new customer.

The only way I've seen Holiday Deals work in hosting is when you're also offering a "we'll move you" type offer. Essentially, the person has already committed to move from their existing host and now they're just looking for a deal to move.
That's interesting. Does that involve crediting customers for the remaining time of their contract/term with a provider they are moving away from?

That's interesting. Does that involve crediting customers for the remaining time of their contract/term with a provider they are moving away from?
Crediting for time has never been something I'm a fan of. They made a wrong choice going with the host they have currently, and I shouldn't be punished for their mistake. Usually doing a free move, handing the DNS changes, copying mail etc is enough to grease the wheels with many people.

The problem with offering credit is that you'll still have bad actors that will keep the old location and use it for a different domain, so you're really getting screwed at that point (giving everything away for free).

Normally just a "forget the headache and start over, we'll do the heavy lifting so you have nothing to think about" is enough credit and good will toward a customer to push them over the edge in purchasing.

Of course, pricing plays a factor too. If you're going to move a 10GB site, 14 emails, and update and test the site etc, taking 2+ hours to move the site, that's not really worth a $5/month account. So restrictions on size or contract minimums should be put in place too.

Crediting for time has never been something I'm a fan of. They made a wrong choice going with the host they have currently, and I shouldn't be punished for their mistake. Usually doing a free move, handing the DNS changes, copying mail etc is enough to grease the wheels with many people.
Agreed.

Of course, pricing plays a factor too. If you're going to move a 10GB site, 14 emails, and update and test the site etc, taking 2+ hours to move the site, that's not really worth a $5/month account. So restrictions on size or contract minimums should be put in place too.
Another way I've seen it work is having an optional site transfer fee (ex: $99) offered as part of regular service, but waiving it during a special holiday offer. But you certainly have a point on techs spending time moving $3-4/mo accounts.

Certainly, individuals and businesses actively seek web hosting holiday deals. Hosting providers strategically roll out promotional campaigns during significant holiday events such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday, offering substantial discounts. This presents an advantageous opportunity for cost-conscious consumers to acquire or renew web hosting services at a reduced rate. It is a customary practice for both individuals and enterprises to leverage these time-limited offers, optimizing their hosting plans and ensuring fiscal prudence.

Are there any so-called "lifetime" hosting deals on Black Friday?
If there are, they're not worth the price of admission.

There is no way a company can offer "lifetime" and expect to stay at the front of technology. They'll undercut the pricing but then have no money to pay staff and equipment over the long-haul.

Stay away from "lifetime." It's as bad as "unlimited".

Are there any so-called "lifetime" hosting deals on Black Friday?
well, these are just as bad as going on eBay and finding Unlimited Everything hosting for $2 a year. these are unrealistic and cannot be sustained.
so stay away from any such deals

We noticed a spike on BLACK FRIDAY despite not really having major promotions for Black Friday. People were probably looking for great deals, and settled with what deemed to be the best for their use case on BF. So it definitely increases sales a bit.