ESXi VS ProxMox

ScrumMeeting

I've been on the fence about whether to dive into ESXi or Proxmox for my next virtualization project. Both have their merits: ESXi is widely used in professional environments, but Proxmox offers an open-source alternative with no licensing fees and a robust set of features out of the box. What's been your experience with either (or both) of these platforms?

I have experience with both ESXi and Proxmox and have found them both to be reliable and efficient virtualization platforms. ESXi is great for large enterprises due to its widespread adoption and robust features, while Proxmox offers a cost-effective solution with open-source flexibility for smaller organizations. I recommend trying out both to see which better suits your project needs.

Good luck trying to learn ESXi these days now Broadcom have their way - the free ESXi hypervisor has now been pulled and you need to pay for licensing. We were lucky that our renewal was due after the Broadcom takeover but before they implemented the license changes. I haven't heard good things, with licensing being hiked anywhere from 3x to 10x what they used to pay.

It's early days to notice any real trend on what these companies are moving to, but the 2 big players I'm hearing are Proxmox and Nutanix. I'd recommend Proxmox for your next project in that case.

Here's a comparison of ESXi and Proxmox for choosing a hypervisor:
  • ESXi: Powerful, industry-standard for large companies. Offers paid versions with more features and centralized management, but can be complex for beginners. (Think: Feature-rich toolbox, ideal for experts)
  • Proxmox: Free, open-source, user-friendly with built-in container support. Great for smaller setups or those who prioritize cost and ease of use. (Think: User-friendly starter toolbox)
In short: ESXi is for complex needs and large budgets, Proxmox for user-friendly control and cost-efficiency.