Google Plus is retiring

PeterShene

So google had announced a leak of 500000 users data from google plus due to a bug , seems common these days. Among all online platforms. Googles reactions to shut down google plus. I know google plus isnt major, there are however few users that use it effectively.

What puzzling me is they made google plus the backbone for many of their google products and also the developer api's I wonder whats going to happen to all of that.

If it weren't for this data leak im sure they were going to re purpose or shut it down anyway as fail.

I feel bad for the people users who actually made communities or run communities on google plus.

So google had announced a leak of 500000 users data from google plus due to a bug.

I'm shocked...

...they had that many users? jk! :D

It's good timing to announce a security breach though - unless more than 30 million of your user accounts have just been hacked, you're still doing better than Facebook.

If it weren't for this data leak im sure they were going to re purpose or shut it down anyway as fail.

Oh absolutely. Not even Google employees who worked on the development of the Plus are using the social network. I used to follow a bunch of interesting people, among them a few Google product managers. They have all stopped contributing years ago. It really is a terrible demise and a huge blow for Google, thinking how much money was spent on this.

Highly suggest reading this article by someone who has been covering Google Plus for years:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/12/goodbye-google-plus-you-beautiful-squandered-opportunity/

I feel bad for the people users who actually made communities or run communities on google plus.

Me, too. I used to love visiting G+, because my every visit resulted in me learning new things. So many influential people shared their thoughts and insights that it made the Plus such a joy to visit.

Google is good at things like this

Look at Google Checkout (was the only platform that insisted on an SSL before you could use it) It was used by many, but google decided to close it down in favour of Google Wallet for Digital Goods (which could not be used for services like web hosting), so lost them a lot of user and now even Google wallet is no more and now they have Google Pay Send (wonder how long that will last).
Even Google Chrome wont work with unite, so a lot of apps wont work in chrome

I'm shocked...

...they had that many users? jk! :D

It's good timing to announce a security breach though - unless more than 30 million of your user accounts have just been hacked, you're still doing better than Facebook.

Burn hahahahaha lol Nice

Yea artashes the same for me... it was a little gold mine of knowledge if you know where to dig, the fact that it wasnt overcrowded with tons of know it alls made it easier for those who do know to share their knowledge.

I dont know anything about wallet tbh... Maybe before my time...

What does bear grills say ....Improvise . adapt . overcome.

Last edited:
They completely gutted the Youtube community by shoving Google+ down our throats, now they give up on it?
It is typical of Google.

When they started Google Checkout with better rates and security than Paypal a lot of companies went with GC over PP and then they scrapped that by changing to Google Wallet for Digital Goods, but businesses like webhosting could not use GW as it was a services business and not digital and now even that is no more and its Google Play which is a app based system.
They dont care about its users anymore.

Talking about wallet, its reminds me about google voice, home and allo which willl be integrated into one service. As said above its the way they do things, perhaps its some form of elaborate a/b testing.

They have a new search console up with bugs. Adwords also introduces some new features , its actually pretty hard to keep up if you are using their services, apps and so forth i think they need to watchout.

I think if you look into things a bit further.

I believe they are feeling a ton of heat from facebook in terms of advertising, youtube and even as a search engine. I think google is refining its resources and platforms in a response to this.

Facebook has made a very smart move by allowing people to ask questions publicly ( recommendations ). This is what a search engine sort of does but better because now you dont get a anser from a search engine but people in your city ect. It makes facebook the first point of contact for questions and not google which is why advertisers will shift to advertise there. If google loses adwords ( last time I read I think adwords accounted for 80% of their revenue ) they are going to struggle to keep in the game.

Personally Im rooting for google. Just the lesser of two evils and also I dislike social media as anything other than just that.

Talking about wallet, its reminds me about google voice, home and allo which willl be integrated into one service. As said above its the way they do things, perhaps its some form of elaborate a/b testing.

They have a new search console up with bugs. Adwords also introduces some new features , its actually pretty hard to keep up if you are using their services, apps and so forth i think they need to watchout.

I think if you look into things a bit further.

I believe they are feeling a ton of heat from facebook in terms of advertising, youtube and even as a search engine. I think google is refining its resources and platforms in a response to this.

Facebook has made a very smart move by allowing people to ask questions publicly ( recommendations ). This is what a search engine sort of does but better because now you dont get a anser from a search engine but people in your city ect. It makes facebook the first point of contact for questions and not google which is why advertisers will shift to advertise there. If google loses adwords ( last time I read I think adwords accounted for 80% of their revenue ) they are going to struggle to keep in the game.

Personally Im rooting for google. Just the lesser of two evils and also I dislike social media as anything other than just that.
but they not merging they are closing it down

Pretty Glad this is going to be a thing but a BIT gutted for the people who use it.

but closing down after user details were leaked will be pointless as the details had already been leaked out, but whatever they replace it with will end up the same way when google gets bored of it