Recommend a Wordpress directory plugin

susansee

My client has a Wordpress website and runs a school. They need a directory of faculty, board members, etc. They also would like to form groups. I searched through the free Wordpress directory plugins available but can't tell if they offer an advanced level of options. Would it be better to install a database?

Last edited:
If you were unable to find something in the free directory, take a look at Code Canyon . There's some pretty sweet developers there that can put out a ton of stuff

There are number of plugins provided by the WordPress for free or for the paid service. You can check the plugins on the WordPress's own site. Many times paid plugins are preferred as there are multiple functionality and modification can be easily done.

There are number of plugins provided by the WordPress for free or for the paid service. You can check the plugins on the WordPress's own site. Many times paid plugins are preferred as there are multiple functionality and modification can be easily done.

While paid does tend to be of a degree better. Personally I try to only pay for software that are open source and includes software level support. In order to limit "vendor lock ins" and other problems with proprietary coded software.

What is your timeline with this , its possible to write the coding and database functions but iits always crucial to test test test , because you will find bugs , this is being a developer. Otherwise if your time limit isnt that great go with wordpress plugin ( if there is such a thing ) , or as suggested outsource it , to somebody trusted and overview the code .

I would suggest to go with paid software or plugins. You can get more features that you can use it according to your client's requirements. You can search on wordpress, there will be lots of plugins for this purpose.

code canyon or envato would be your best bet. Ive was looking for something similar before i just decided to write my own in laravel. The few that are out there offer such limited functionality unless paid for. As always be sure o look at compatibility with your theme and also reviews on the plugin and lastly if its kept up to date.

code canyon or envato would be your best bet. Ive was looking for something similar before i just decided to write my own in laravel. The few that are out there offer such limited functionality unless paid for. As always be sure o look at compatibility with your theme and also reviews on the plugin and lastly if its kept up to date.

also with envato (code canyon/themeforest) dont forget to also purchase the support option with any themes you purchase, this is so they when these themes are updates etc. you will be notified and be able to upload the latest update.

As per above discussion i also suggested buy script from envato code platform for best results, there are all many of developers also customize that as per your clients need... But if you want to go for free plugin so you can also check out on wordpress free plugin directors at wordpress dot org.
ProfileGrid - Create front end user profiles, groups, communities, paid memberships, directories, WooCommerce user profiles and bbPress profiles, restrict content, register members through sign-up pages, allow users to submit and share blogs, enable notifications, social activity and private messaging with a beautiful threaded interface and a lot more.
You can choose one of options from both.
Thanks for reading post.

No

I actually have bought this theme a while back.

I have a few issues with it and this is my own opinion. Firstly google maps is for a while now need to open google cloud and pay for its api use. This theme uses four of its map api's.

The theme is riddled with bugs that you have to sort out if you know php.
Search function that runs before you have filled in all search criteria.
It has a ajax based search which provides bad urls for seo unless you want to create custom links for every category.
The user registration system is just for the average user confusing because of the the is hard coded for somebody to accept a pricing plan before going to a listing form.
Many other features within this theme are depended on the hard coded maps api's so quite a few things other than maps search , suggestions, open and close times are all affected if you are not using that.
I could go on and on.
They updated the theme a few days ago it was their first in 2 years despite all of the issues the update failed to address many things.
Now what lastly made me dislike this theme is how the support asked for a 5star rating when resolving a bug for you.
I dont believe it deserves 5 stars more like 3 its a really good concept and idea just not executed and tested thoroughly.

I am a php developer it took me a full week to find many of these bugs and fix them because even as a developer I can see their code the very foundation of everything imo is sloppy.

I actually have bought this theme a while back.

I have a few issues with it and this is my own opinion. Firstly google maps is for a while now need to open google cloud and pay for its api use. This theme uses four of its map api's.

The theme is riddled with bugs that you have to sort out if you know php.
Search function that runs before you have filled in all search criteria.
It has a ajax based search which provides bad urls for seo unless you want to create custom links for every category.
The user registration system is just for the average user confusing because of the the is hard coded for somebody to accept a pricing plan before going to a listing form.
Many other features within this theme are depended on the hard coded maps api's so quite a few things other than maps search , suggestions, open and close times are all affected if you are not using that.
I could go on and on.
They updated the theme a few days ago it was their first in 2 years despite all of the issues the update failed to address many things.
Now what lastly made me dislike this theme is how the support asked for a 5star rating when resolving a bug for you.
I dont believe it deserves 5 stars more like 3 its a really good concept and idea just not executed and tested thoroughly.

I am a php developer it took me a full week to find many of these bugs and fix them because even as a developer I can see their code the very foundation of everything imo is sloppy.

it looks like some kids college project that he has stuck on themeforest to make a few bucks

it looks like some kids college project that he has stuck on themeforest to make a few bucks

Ahaha well looking at his sales he had made quite a bit of money from it. No hard feeling though and good for "him". They have a change to take all this user feedback in the reviews and fix bugs without really having had to test for bugs ..plus for them. I dont know why they dont.

It also showed me what I already know theme forests quality control is NOT what it says its is. Reviews are also a NOT the verdict on a theme. But for the price they charge its worth buying a cracked up theme when you dont have time to start your own and just patch it yourself and resell. Its what most authors on envato do anyway build on existing themes and sell them.

Ahaha well looking at his sales he had made quite a bit of money from it. No hard feeling though and good for "him". They have a change to take all this user feedback in the reviews and fix bugs without really having had to test for bugs ..plus for them. I dont know why they dont.

It also showed me what I already know theme forests quality control is NOT what it says its is. Reviews are also a NOT the verdict on a theme. But for the price they charge its worth buying a cracked up theme when you dont have time to start your own and just patch it yourself and resell. Its what most authors on envato do anyway build on existing themes and sell them.
I have had some great themes from Themeforest and some developers do carry out regular updates, but are you going to get a great theme for $4 as that is what some go for.

My main bugbear with envato is to get a theme you have to top up your account in blocks of $20

Connections Business Directory plugin
Sabai Directory
Web 2.0 Directory plugin
Name Directory
Directory Pro
BePro Listings

4$ Dollar themes I cant say I have ever bought one I am one of those type of people that thinks if its cheap its rubbish. That being said i have proven myself wrong ive bought top selling themes and gotten garbage and bought cheap themes that were good.

I dont think any decent theme should be sold at 4 dollars either, poor developer geez.

One thing that the devs are doing now is selling on envato and providing a subscription off envato for you to ba able to acess any updates after 6 months usually this would be of the main theme files and some core dependent plugins.

Do you sell on envato ? I have yet to go to code canyon but it will be my next stop.

Do you sell on envato ? I have yet to go to code canyon but it will be my next stop.

code canyon is part of envato.

I have never bout a theme for $4, but i do have a couple of holding pages that i purchased from envato that only cost a couple of $