Reporting a Bad Host - How To?

She-Bear

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can give me a link or more info on how to report a host/hosting company? I've got action started via the BBB (www.bbb.org), but isn't there an org that also is a watchdog specifically for online/www things like this? I tried ICAAN and INTERNIC, but they mainly are concerned with domain names - which this is not an issue about.

In my case, the problem is that the host (Certihost :mad:, btw) charged me for two accounts even after I told them not to until a problem was resolved. It's not like they didn't receive my request in time - they did, and I have everything in writing. It's not *necessarily* a money issue - it's the idea that they went ahead and charged me anyway... it's like they knew I was contemplating canceling my account, and they wanted to get another charge in. Not only bad business, but unethical - and not to mention illegal. Doing some research in various forums and host reviews, I've found I'm not the only one this has happened to - but I am one who WILL report them... just as soon as I find out to whom.

If anyone knows where I should go with this, if you would please let me know? I'm sure I can get my money back via a chargeback (I've asked Certihost, but they say no way), but I still want to report them and possibly stop them from continuing this practice.

Thanx.

Sorry...

I'm sorry to hear about your hosting problems. Similar happened to me with another host, you can read my thread here:

http://www.hostingdiscussions.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=416

Unfortunately, I don't think there's alot that can be done. However, if you find something, please be sure to come back and post a link. I'd be very interested and I'm sure others would too. Since these so-called "companies" are solely internet-reliant for income, I'd suggest getting your story out there. There are quite a few web hosting forums and review sites out there. The "louder" you speak, the more likely you are to be heard. Not to mention what it will do to the company's rep. Anyway, good luck with your search and I hope you find some justice.

~Bear

This is an area that is still very defiant in terms of compliance with laws within state and federal levels, across many countries. The problem rests with jurisdictional issues apart from transarency of these trading entities, especially relevant to the hosting and associated areas.

A couple years ago, one host called Pagecreators was finally taken down by the BBB and other agencies yet it took a long time for them to piece the evidence together for a court injunction order by the court to stop this provider from ripping people off. They started up once the initial trouble began under another name and that was shut down as well. This is the problem though, in that it takes a long time for action to be taken.

Only means possible usually is to try the relevant organisation within the particular country that monitors trading by businesses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost