web hosting help?!?

markethoster

I want to start a web hosting company, because I know a bunch of people who would host with me. I have been checking into a bunch of stuff, and I am looking for a web design company that could hook all of the stuff up, such as automated hosting software, the servers, and the automatic payment stuff. I got a quote from pluro tech for $3,000, and I heard that that is too expensive. Furthermore, I want to know the best software for automation. I know about hostadmin, but I also just learned about modernbill. Which is better? Which one is the best? Any help in anyof these areas would be greatly appreciated. Please e mail me, or reply to this post. Thank you.

Well, ModernBill seems to be the number one choice for more companies.

As for the rest of your message, please don't take it the wrong way, but I personally feel that your knowledge of the industry is not very profound, which is why I would highly suggest you to spend a few months learning every possible aspect of running a hosting business.

Learn the processes, learn how much time it this will leave you to have a good sleep, learn the technical part, the software, the accounting, marketing, what are the exit barriers if you decide to quit, etc - since once you start it, you'll have to commit yourself to doing a good job and it would tough to quit. Even many professional companies still learn every day on how to improve their methods and activities. Because every screw up, every single mistake is very costly in web hosting.

On the other hand, if you feel absolutely confident that you know enough, at least start with a Reseller hosting while you can. It is way cheaper and you still make income if packages are priced smartly.

It would not only help you learn all the stuff while actually working on it, but if you decide to quit, it would be much easier to do. And it would just give you enough time to evaluate the working environment and decide wether this is something you want to do long term. Finally you'll reach a better decision.

Good luck,

I completely agree with "Artashes Toumanov" on the comment of "taking your time to learn first". We took 1 year of software development and server configuring before we went "live".

Take your time before diving into this, analyze everything.

Regards,