Webhosting trick?

PeterShene

Is it possible as a web host to manipulate back links from your clients , i know its a bit of a black hat question , but im curious

Free hosts often put links in the header and footer of pages served, but you would not be able to do this on a paid platform, as customers want to be able to control the content on their pages.

It is possible, but highly not recommended.

Not only it would come across unethical, you might do more damage than good. Not all links are made equal and if links from some websites might do your target site more harm than benefit.

It is possible but with the help of the web-designer/developer. This is done by them generally. But please be careful while doing it because you will be penalised for this.

The link in your email signature, OP, would leave me to believe you're in the web design line of work.

In your field I believe it is customary to include "Site designed by XXXXX" and to bill for permission to remove credit.

If you're in a different field, your mileage may vary both in what is normal and what is advisable.

Links in the header (navigation) or in the footer (built by), and sitewide links (links on every page of a site) receive a lot less weight by Google and Bing. So while you can build those links, there's limited value in them when it comes to backlink improvement.

Spend your time and energy elsewhere.

And for the record, if a web host ever put a banner on my site without my approval, I'd terminate instantly. I've seen web hosts put hidden code on clients sites that don't show public, but do show to search engines. In every case that I've seen it, I've advised our client to terminate the relationship instantly and pay elsewhere.

As @zomgmike mentioned, if you're a web designer, clients are generally more than happy to put your link on their site, and you would then cross promote that work in newsletters etc. This is fairly well accepted, but again, not really useful for improving backlinks to help improve site authority/rankings.

We have a number of sites that we've worked on where we negotiated not to put our information on the site, but allow us to use the design in our portfolio. Other sites, we choose not to associate our name with the client as we know they'll destroy the site within days of receiving access ;)

Links in the header (navigation) or in the footer (built by), and sitewide links (links on every page of a site) receive a lot less weight by Google and Bing. So while you can build those links, there's limited value in them when it comes to backlink improvement.

Spend your time and energy elsewhere.

And for the record, if a web host ever put a banner on my site without my approval, I'd terminate instantly. I've seen web hosts put hidden code on clients sites that don't show public, but do show to search engines. In every case that I've seen it, I've advised our client to terminate the relationship instantly and pay elsewhere.

As @zomgmike mentioned, if you're a web designer, clients are generally more than happy to put your link on their site, and you would then cross promote that work in newsletters etc. This is fairly well accepted, but again, not really useful for improving backlinks to help improve site authority/rankings.

We have a number of sites that we've worked on where we negotiated not to put our information on the site, but allow us to use the design in our portfolio. Other sites, we choose not to associate our name with the client as we know they'll destroy the site within days of receiving access ;)

Thanks for all the responses. Yea i have seen a few hosting companies link their clients together on pages i dont know how well this goes down with google. I thought there might be some other advantage to being a hosting provider.

reason i ask is i am a web developer and do footer links in my client websites provided hey allow it. Most dont mind. Ive been doing well lately but now ive been struggling with paid advertising , guys are just using adwords to pick up all the work crappy websites and all.

Sometimes i get passed by Gumtree a company where you can advertise a service for free and its annoying as all hell.

It can be possible but I don't think it is would be good for your business. Manipulation is not a part of trust.

There are few methods through which you can get backlink as a hosting provider, which I think doesn't come in blackhat or unethical category.

1) Provide your own under construction page to new hosting customer, which link to your web hosting site. I saw that many hosting customer start using their space very late after 3 month or 6 month, you will get backlink and may be some traffic till then.

2) Put your 404 page with backlink to your company site, even if client upload their site, many client do not use custom 404 page, any 404 page request will go to 404 page provided by hosting company, you will get backlink as well as traffic

In theory, yes you can do it... Ethically/legally no!

Besides, why would you want irellavant sitewide links? If they have relevant content then why not ask them if they mind putting a link back to you. Most won't mind.

If I found my web host was tampering with my served pages then I would move hosts very quickly. Also I would be liable to report them under the Computer misuse act. The maximum punishment for breaking this law (in the UK) is a £5000 fine or several years’ imprisonment.