WOW!! Who wouldn't want a connection like this!! :D

Homer

Researchers of the "Bell Labs", research and developement institution of Lucent Technologies, were able to send data with the speed of 2.56TeraBytes PER SECOND over a 4000km (2500mile) line!

Previous record was 1.6TB over a 2000km (1250mile) line.
More info: Can be found here

To make sure there is no dataloss, Bell Labs used the forward error correction en Differental Phase Shift Keying (DPSK) technique.

Hmmmmmmm.......

Just thinking, if everyone could get one of those in thier homes, what would that do to the little ISP's with T-1's????

Just a thought seeing how they are already bit**in about how cable companies are putting them out of business.

Hmm,

I must agree with nodehost...
It would surely kill small hosts...

Um, I don't think this is going to affect ISPs at all. This new line will be used as an internet backbone..........

NexDog said:
Um, I don't think this is going to affect ISPs at all. This new line will be used as an internet backbone..........

with any luck if they do start rolling out this as backbone....broadband prices will drop dramastically:)

Probably not. The Time Warners, and the @homes (when not bankrupt) will still charge top dollar because they can.

Watch, no matter where it goes, the price will still be the same if not more expensive.

I.E. - MSN - was $19.95 before broadband.
Now they are $26.95 AFTER broadband.....

Figure this out????

A line like this would be used for backbones, and possibly by large ISPs.

No one would ever get this in their home. It's like no one ever get's an OC-255 put in their home. The equipment and costs just don't match up.

Quicksilver said:
A line like this would be used for backbones, and possibly by large ISPs.

No one would ever get this in their home. It's like no one ever get's an OC-255 put in their home. The equipment and costs just don't match up.

Oh well we can always dream cant we:) :D ;)

Nelix said:
who cares about the little ISPs, they can consolidate or die...

BRING ON THE SPEED:)

That's so unfair! :(
People need to give poor, little, starting-up hosts a chance to grow & get known. :)

I wished

I would love to have a backbone line in OZ like this...

Due to the distance i believe in Australia even t1 is out of reach to most small isps.

Frame Relay is good and i have considered getting it a couple of times but at the end of the day really we would never host anything from it just for mass backups or reinstalls for servers.

I must do this now over 6meg adsl and it still costs approx $900 USD with 3 gigs monthly transfer!

Thats why our servers are based in the good U S of A.

Kind regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost