Hosting Discussion

Hosting Discussion (https://www.hostingdiscussion.com/)
-   Web Hosting Discussion (https://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-discussion/)
-   -   CloudLinux Reseller Limits (https://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-discussion/65277-cloudlinux-reseller-limits.html)


ughosting 10-27-2017 10:09 AM

CloudLinux Reseller Limits
 
Has anyone been brave enough to deploy reseller limits to their production servers?

If so, has it made any difference?

Harv45 10-27-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughosting (Post 225651)
Has anyone been brave enough to deploy reseller limits to their production servers?

If so, has it made any difference?

You means the limits that allow providers to allocate a "pool" of resources to their resellers to do whatever they want to divvy it up? Like how some VM reseller packages works?

ughosting 10-29-2017 06:55 AM

No, the latest version (beta) of CloudLinux allows an admin to place a CPU limit on a reseller so that they may not use more than a permitted amount of CPU in total.
Before there was just the limit per account, but now there is a limit in total!

(further clarification: the sum total of CPU for all the resellers' accounts cannot exceed this limit)

24x7server 10-30-2017 10:45 PM

If you give a control of LVE settings to reseller then you would need to allocate some percent of CPU to the reseller.

This, of course, would lead to customers with only 10 sites that have access to 100CPUs total assigning 10 CPU to each of the sites. If the sites are badly coded this would put the significant load on a server.

ughosting 10-31-2017 04:21 AM

It's more like this.

The reseller has 20 users, so with the usual limited they would be able to use 20 CPUs, but the reseller limit is applied to limit the resellers accounts in total to 4 CPUs (400% CPU). Once the resellers users have reached 400% in total the sites start to slow down.

If you actually give individual users too lower a CPU limit individually it uses more CPU due to the added context switching, which is why it's recommended to offer 100% CPU or more per user.

Harv45 10-31-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughosting (Post 225722)
If you actually give individual users too lower a CPU limit individually it uses more CPU due to the added context switching, which is why it's recommended to offer 100% CPU or more per user.

I am sorry but I am confused... Are you saying by allocating less than 100% of CPU dramatically increases overheads of CloudLinux?

That's doesn't even make sense as I heard the hardest Virtualization tech will draw about 5% at "worst" from the bare hardware.

MikeDVB 11-01-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv45 (Post 225739)
I am sorry but I am confused... Are you saying by allocating less than 100% of CPU dramatically increases overheads of CloudLinux?

That's doesn't even make sense as I heard the hardest Virtualization tech will draw about 5% at "worst" from the bare hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context_switch

This may or may not help.

serverogen 11-08-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughosting (Post 225680)
No, the latest version (beta) of CloudLinux allows an admin to place a CPU limit on a reseller so that they may not use more than a permitted amount of CPU in total.
Before there was just the limit per account, but now there is a limit in total!

(further clarification: the sum total of CPU for all the resellers' accounts cannot exceed this limit)


why i can not see this feature on my cloulinux? do they charge extra fee fro this feature?

24x7server 11-08-2017 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serverogen (Post 225882)
why i can not see this feature on my cloulinux? do they charge extra fee fro this feature?

Check these links:- https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.ht...er_limits.html


https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.ht...er_limits.html

webconfigure 01-26-2018 05:49 AM

If you will set the limit that will be best. Because assigning the unlimited resources will increase the server load. It is best to set the limit. CloudLinux has the option in which you can set the resource limit. It is best for all sites on the server as well as for maintaining the uptime of server.

ughosting 01-26-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv45 (Post 225739)
I am sorry but I am confused... Are you saying by allocating less than 100% of CPU dramatically increases overheads of CloudLinux?

That's doesn't even make sense as I heard the hardest Virtualization tech will draw about 5% at "worst" from the bare hardware.

If you set a really low CPU limit, the machine will spend more CPU time suspending and unsuspending processes than it will executing code.

Remeber CloudLinux isn't about giving small resources per users it's about ensuring users have enough power by stopping abusers taking too much power.
(As well as clearing showing who is using that power)

Harv45 01-26-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughosting (Post 227388)
If you set a really low CPU limit, the machine will spend more CPU time suspending and unsuspending processes than it will executing code.

Remeber CloudLinux isn't about giving small resources per users it's about ensuring users have enough power by stopping abusers taking too much power.
(As well as clearing showing who is using that power)

Ahh that make a lot more sense to me.

MikeDVB 01-26-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webconfigure (Post 227386)
If you will set the limit that will be best. Because assigning the unlimited resources will increase the server load. It is best to set the limit. CloudLinux has the option in which you can set the resource limit. It is best for all sites on the server as well as for maintaining the uptime of server.

It's worth noting that before CloudLinux all providers except a couple that had custom kernels / kernel extensions were giving total access to every CPU to every account.

It's not impossible to maintain a server in this fashion - but you'll end up with far less capacity overall if you don't manually keep an eye on CPU usage on a regular and ongoing basis.

One of the things CloudLinux has really helped with is reducing the amount of time providers have to spend auditing usage and working with customers.

Out of many thousands of accounts we only have a few here or there that cross limits and we generally reach out and try to work with them to resolve those issues. These are the same accounts that we would notice and reach out to even without CloudLinux - except they would possibly impact others / the server as a whole for a brief period before we caught it.

Harv45 01-26-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeDVB (Post 227401)
It's worth noting that before CloudLinux all providers except a couple that had custom kernels / kernel extensions were giving total access to every CPU to every account.

It's not impossible to maintain a server in this fashion - but you'll end up with far less capacity overall if you don't manually keep an eye on CPU usage on a regular and ongoing basis.

One of the things CloudLinux has really helped with is reducing the amount of time providers have to spend auditing usage and working with customers.

Out of many thousands of accounts we only have a few here or there that cross limits and we generally reach out and try to work with them to resolve those issues. These are the same accounts that we would notice and reach out to even without CloudLinux - except they would possibly impact others / the server as a whole for a brief period before we caught it.

Especially given that the tools that WHM comes with. If you just monitor the machine/VM itself 24x7 and then keep the eyes on the averages every now and then you should be in good shape. :)

However I agrees eventually this will be impractical for anyone and the costs associated of deploying and maintaining Cloudlinux will be well worth it in those circumstances.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.1.0