Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Discussion > I still see many hosts don't use CloudLinux, Why is that?
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 09:03 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 656

Status: ughosting is online now
We've used CloudLinux since 2010, and find that it saves 100s of man hours investigating issues, and prevents many issues that used to occur in the past from being an issue nowadays.

Are there any hosts who believe they are better off without CloudLinux.

If so I would like to hear why.

Again if you are a customer, do you look for hosts with CloudLinux or specifically for hosts who don't use CloudLinux. What are your reasons?
__________________
UnixGuru High Performance, Low Contention, Hosting
Elastic Sites (HIgh Powered Hosting Accounts) with 1 to 20 CPU Cores, 4 to 42GB of RAM. (Power of a VPS without the hassle)
Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated & More available
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 09:25 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,360
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
I think the main issue was that until a few years back CloudLinux would not be compatible with Open VZ and even now

CloudLinux provides limited support for OpenVZ and Virtuozzo. At this stage only the following functionality works:

CageFS
PHP Selector
max entry processes

https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.ht...nd_openvz.html

which does not warrant paying for it with limited use to hosts that use OpenVZ and Virtuozzo
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 10:11 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 296

Status: Harv45 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
I think the main issue was that until a few years back CloudLinux would not be compatible with Open VZ and even now

CloudLinux provides limited support for OpenVZ and Virtuozzo. At this stage only the following functionality works:

CageFS
PHP Selector
max entry processes

https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.ht...nd_openvz.html

which does not warrant paying for it with limited use to hosts that use OpenVZ and Virtuozzo
That is the leading "deal breaker" for me because frankly I am not going to pay the "full price" for about "half of the license's ability". Now that I said that why don't they offer a OpenVZ/Virtuozzo "license" that only works on these platforms and at a much reduced cost?

The other subjective reasoning I can see that WHM gauges how much a user uses per 24 hours period as averages, while CloudLinux will "hard limit" the user to whatever amount you set.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 01:32 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,360
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv45 View Post
That is the leading "deal breaker" for me because frankly I am not going to pay the "full price" for about "half of the license's ability". Now that I said that why don't they offer a OpenVZ/Virtuozzo "license" that only works on these platforms and at a much reduced cost?

The other subjective reasoning I can see that WHM gauges how much a user uses per 24 hours period as averages, while CloudLinux will "hard limit" the user to whatever amount you set.
Originally they would not even support OpenVZ/Virtuozzo even though it is the most commonly used platform
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 02:06 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 296

Status: Harv45 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
Originally they would not even support OpenVZ/Virtuozzo even though it is the most commonly used platform
Interesting, well if they don't step up their game to do so I am sure someone else will gladly do so. But until something compelling is offered or a majorly reduced CloudLinux license is offered for such I am sticking with WHM and 3rd party monitoring.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 02:17 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,360
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv45 View Post
Interesting, well if they don't step up their game to do so I am sure someone else will gladly do so. But until something compelling is offered or a majorly reduced CloudLinux license is offered for such I am sticking with WHM and 3rd party monitoring.
Same here. I even stopped my litespeed licence as when you increase ram on your server you have to purchase a dearer licence and you get no more for the money
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to easyhostmedia For This Useful Post:
Harv45 (01-28-2018)


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   01-28-2018, 02:24 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 296

Status: Harv45 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
Same here. I even stopped my litespeed licence as when you increase ram on your server you have to purchase a dearer licence and you get no more for the money
They even says that unless you have enough HTTP requests there isn't a significant "benefit" for LiteSpeed anyways.

But in my opinion (and what I read to form such) and why I merely quoted that was it more on how the server is tuned than what web server you used. I even heard that Apache works just fine if it well tuned even under higher traffic demands.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 04:55 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: India
Posts: 96
Send a message via Skype™ to webconfigure

Status: webconfigure is offline
CloudLinux mainly focuses on the providing the best user interface and provide the smooth access for the managing the server resources, inodes. It has the LVE manager that is LightWeight Virtual Environment.

In CloudLinux hosting, the web hosting account which is consuming the more resources and causing the server to run slower will be automatically stop working without affecting the other sites on the server. This was not previously possible in the traditional hosting server.

You can assign the particular set of resources for the individual account on the cloud linux. You will have multiple versions of PHP which you can change just by one click.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 08:57 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,360
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by webconfigure View Post
CloudLinux mainly focuses on the providing the best user interface and provide the smooth access for the managing the server resources, inodes. It has the LVE manager that is LightWeight Virtual Environment.

In CloudLinux hosting, the web hosting account which is consuming the more resources and causing the server to run slower will be automatically stop working without affecting the other sites on the server. This was not previously possible in the traditional hosting server.

You can assign the particular set of resources for the individual account on the cloud linux. You will have multiple versions of PHP which you can change just by one click.
but you cant on an OpenVZ/Virtuozzo server, so why should someone with an OpenVZ/Virtuozzo server pay full price for very limited features
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to easyhostmedia For This Useful Post:
Harv45 (01-30-2018)


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 09:20 AM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 296

Status: Harv45 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
but you cant on an OpenVZ/Virtuozzo server, so why should someone with an OpenVZ/Virtuozzo server pay full price for very limited features
Exactly it's like having to pay full price for kids at an amusement park even if they cannot enjoy half of the rides there. No reputable amusement parks that limited would charge kids' admissions as such if that was the case.
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to Harv45 For This Useful Post:
easyhostmedia (01-30-2018)


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 04:35 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 656

Status: ughosting is online now
Strange that we are talking about VPSs when our CloudLinux is more for carving up large boxes.

Our standard box is a 128GB RAM Node with 32 CPUs and lots of disks in RAID 10.

I also have CloudLinux on some KVM VPSs for Resellers accounts, so they can answer tickets should their reseller server ever go down. (Or more likely undergoing maintenance that the customer or the customers' customer forgot)
In this instance, we are mainly after CageFS to stop the different resellers from seeing each other's accounts.

When we place customers on VPSs, we don't tend to give them CloudLinux, as they are OpenVZ VPS isolated from each other, however, larger customers to whom we provide KVM VPSs using our OpenStack Cloud, then they are more likely to have CloudLinux installed than not.
__________________
UnixGuru High Performance, Low Contention, Hosting
Elastic Sites (HIgh Powered Hosting Accounts) with 1 to 20 CPU Cores, 4 to 42GB of RAM. (Power of a VPS without the hassle)
Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated & More available

Last edited by ughosting : 01-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 04:58 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 296

Status: Harv45 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
Strange that we are talking about VPSs when our CloudLinux is more for carving up large boxes.

Our standard box is a 128GB RAM Node with 32 CPUs and lots of disks in RAID 10.
I am sorry to disappoint you but some of us invest in cost effective solutions that handle the given loads and such right now. Then some for any small growths that likely to occurs.

But to make up the lack of huge resources we often are able to expand with a push of a button (or at least a ticket away) to re scale to the size of small/medium boxes when such needs come around.

At the end of the day Cloudlinux licensing should understand and implement something for such.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   01-30-2018, 05:35 PM
HD Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: India
Posts: 364
Send a message via Skype™ to 24x7server

Status: 24x7server is offline
CloudLinux provides limited support for OpenVZ and Virtuozzo so some host doesn't use it. However, most of the big hosting companies have already shifted their servers to CloudLinux to improve the server stability and enhance server security.
__________________
www.24x7servermanagement.com
Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
Network Monitoring Team !! Skype: techs24x7
 
 
 


Old
  Post #14 (permalink)   01-31-2018, 10:22 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 656

Status: ughosting is online now
I can see Harv's point.

We have a lot of Resellers using Cloud VPS, where we can expand the size pretty quickly without downtime, even though they are KVM (disk space wise), a reboot to change the actual tin driving the OpenStack machine.

I suppose our standard unit got so big, due to the Elastic-Sites hosting we do. Where you can have VPS style performance, using CL for isolation. This way you get the performance you need, but we still manage everything for you and you get all the goodies thrown in that shared hosting gets like R1Soft hourly backups restore by plugin etc.

You are right though, once moved away from the monster servers, a "just right" fit is better, otherwise the customer end up paying too much.

Overprovisioning does cost.

From what I've heard here today, looks like CL needs to make good it's promise to etablish limits on OpenVZ, but due to kernel limitations this will have to be OpenVZ7
__________________
UnixGuru High Performance, Low Contention, Hosting
Elastic Sites (HIgh Powered Hosting Accounts) with 1 to 20 CPU Cores, 4 to 42GB of RAM. (Power of a VPS without the hassle)
Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated & More available
 
 
 


Old
  Post #15 (permalink)   02-18-2018, 11:10 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 33

Status: RWB_Hosting is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
We've used CloudLinux since 2010, and find that it saves 100s of man hours investigating issues, and prevents many issues that used to occur in the past from being an issue nowadays.

Are there any hosts who believe they are better off without CloudLinux.

If so I would like to hear why.

Again if you are a customer, do you look for hosts with CloudLinux or specifically for hosts who don't use CloudLinux. What are your reasons?
CentOS 7 has never let me down, very stable, very secure. I haven't tried CloudLinux but believe that it is best for managing crowded cPanel servers to restrict resource usage and prevent an individual user from using to much resources affecting the other clients.
__________________
Premium SSD Web Hosting & VPS https://rwbhosting.co.nz 24/7 Live Chat Support!
Bulk Email Allowed (opt-in only) With Dedicated /29 or /28 IP Subnets - Custom rDNS
Servers in Australia & Poland - 480Gbps DDoS Protection - Xeon 3.5/3.9Ghz CPU
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: