Twitter     Facebook
Hosting Discussion
 

forgot password?



FORUM SUPPORTERS:

Reply


Old
  Post #1 (permalink)   03-23-2020, 07:56 AM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 771

Status: ughosting is offline
I guess the Elephant In The Room is COVID-19 and how are people coping with Social Distancing.

Does a trip to the DataCentre count as an essential trip.

I guess we are, as a profession, best equipped to be able to work from home, but how are we to keep the office servers up and running, should we be further confined?

(We have mostly online systems, with some backup systems (R1Soft Servers and such) in the office, so we are hoping to still be able to get there!
__________________
Performance Elastic Hosting
Elastic Hosting, Why buy a VPS, when you can get the power and resource you need from a User/Reseller account?
You're never nagged by us for overuse.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #2 (permalink)   03-23-2020, 01:01 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 6,116

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
I guess the Elephant In The Room is COVID-19 and how are people coping with Social Distancing.

Does a trip to the DataCentre count as an essential trip.

I guess we are, as a profession, best equipped to be able to work from home, but how are we to keep the office servers up and running, should we be further confined?

(We have mostly online systems, with some backup systems (R1Soft Servers and such) in the office, so we are hoping to still be able to get there!
The UK is full of idiots who think it wont get them, i no longer host, but still do work with my PC, Needed to get a couple of external hard drives, so checked PC world and they had them, but when i checked delivery schedule it was going to be nearly 2 weeks and they could not guarantee this, so checked to see if they had these at my local store and they did, so ordered 2 for me to collect. i Immediately went to collect these as it is getting close to a full UK lockdown and i was totally shocked at the amount of people still around as if nothing was wrong.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO Niceday Media Limited
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #3 (permalink)   03-23-2020, 02:00 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 31

Status: OVHcloud_Phil is offline
This is definitely going to be a struggle for a lot of companies. Expect delivery delays, products being sold out, and worse. Personally I think it's going to be hard on all of us, I know I'm already getting some cabin fever.
__________________
Phil Perfetti - Community Relations Specialist, OVHcloud
New Public Cloud - New Dedicated Servers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #4 (permalink)   03-23-2020, 02:04 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 6,116

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Many small businesses will never reopen.

In the UK

Debenhams
HMV
New Look
Arcadia Group (topshop, burtons etc.)

are all under Company Voluntary Arrangement ( CVA ), so will be hard for them to reopen
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO Niceday Media Limited
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #5 (permalink)   03-24-2020, 01:36 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: India
Posts: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to whmcsglobal

Status: whmcsglobal is offline
33% drop in my organic results
 
 
 


Old
  Post #6 (permalink)   03-26-2020, 09:45 PM
HD Moderator
 
SenseiSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 5,371

Status: SenseiSteve is online now
The fallout from Covid-19 sanctions will be felt for quite some time as I expect even once we're free to move around, social distancing will linger. It's changed how we interact with one another. Shortages here are slowly recovering.
__________________
Hosting Discussion
Rules | Blog | Showcase
Marketplace Rules
Always, always, always back up your data
 
 
 


Old
  Post #7 (permalink)   03-27-2020, 08:26 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 6,116

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiSteve View Post
The fallout from Covid-19 sanctions will be felt for quite some time as I expect even once we're free to move around, social distancing will linger. It's changed how we interact with one another. Shortages here are slowly recovering.
We in the UK have not reached the peak yet, they say another 2 to 3 weeks , but people here cant understand and think its just a joke.

Local council closed all public car parks at places like then beaches etc., but idiots removed the bollards to use the car parks. they still go around in groups even though told not too
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO Niceday Media Limited
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #8 (permalink)   03-27-2020, 06:42 PM
HD Community Advisor
 
ughosting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Posts: 771

Status: ughosting is offline
The office is in total lockdown now. Until last week we had the building staffed by 3 people all in separate rooms, now we're all at home with our families.

The switchboard is forwarded to our homes, and we're communicating with slack calls, with daily stand-ups via zoom (slack doesn't like too many in the room).

I don't yet know anyone personally who has been infected, but this is a lot more serious than anyone saw coming.

I'm wondering how long it will take before things that we took for granted are back to normal?

Guess I'm lucky the shops near me seem to have everything I need. I've not felt the need to hoard toilet paper, and have yet to run out. Although I brought a few rolls home from the office when I closed it.

Has anyone seen a drop off in orders?
I've actually sold a few more budget plans than normal, guess everyone wants a blog.

I'll probably see companies reduce the size of their plans soon.
__________________
Performance Elastic Hosting
Elastic Hosting, Why buy a VPS, when you can get the power and resource you need from a User/Reseller account?
You're never nagged by us for overuse.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #9 (permalink)   03-28-2020, 03:32 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 6,116

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughosting View Post
The office is in total lockdown now. Until last week we had the building staffed by 3 people all in separate rooms, now we're all at home with our families.

The switchboard is forwarded to our homes, and we're communicating with slack calls, with daily stand-ups via zoom (slack doesn't like too many in the room).

I don't yet know anyone personally who has been infected, but this is a lot more serious than anyone saw coming.

I'm wondering how long it will take before things that we took for granted are back to normal?

Guess I'm lucky the shops near me seem to have everything I need. I've not felt the need to hoard toilet paper, and have yet to run out. Although I brought a few rolls home from the office when I closed it.

Has anyone seen a drop off in orders?
I've actually sold a few more budget plans than normal, guess everyone wants a blog.

I'll probably see companies reduce the size of their plans soon.
No idea what it like in London, but in Northumberland many people are ignoring all the advice and doing as they please.

He (boris) is just trying to get everyone indoors to safety to minimise the dangers when the UK Peaks in about 2 to 3 weeks time.

STAY SAFE
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO Niceday Media Limited
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #10 (permalink)   03-29-2020, 01:15 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 162
Send a message via Skype™ to rowebca

Status: rowebca is offline
I think this is the moment when business will be filtered and all those "parasites" company will be removed, only strong companies will go on, if the things are not out of control...When a bank/corporation is saying they lost a lot a money they are just saying their profit is lower, in fact they didn't lose any money....It is all BS, to control people...Maybe humanity will wake up and will realized what is important in our life..To be honest with those people saying they can't stop to socialize I see no future with this planet...The virus is not so deadly like panic/hysteria is....But again, believe me the world won't be the same after this...Longer it is probably people will become more human....In a world where truth is toxic, and lie is all to "win", human become just a product, not the most important entity, like it is suppose to be...I know I am politically incorrect, but truth is more important in those moments.

Veritas brevis est sermo, longa vox mendacii ! (The truth is short word, long the voice of lying)...Just wish everybody health and good for your families...
__________________
George B. | ROWEBCA
Web Hosting Services & Server Management
Skype : rowebca
 
 
 


Old
  Post #11 (permalink)   03-30-2020, 07:21 PM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK.
Posts: 620

Status: HostOX is offline
I have to admit, I made a fortune from retail due to corona and it will help me and my businesses survive the next 6 months if required, probably a few years.

But it was mostly luck, however I am grateful.

We have remote access and our DC offered free remote services, hardware changes, checks etc absolutely free to stop anyone visiting the DC.

Regardless, I have no intention of leaving the home for anything - No need to do so, but the economy will be in pieces at the end of this.
__________________
HostOX | Hosting Built on Consistency, reliability and strength.
oXnames - Domain Name registration with no BS.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #12 (permalink)   05-11-2020, 07:20 AM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 17

Status: Acehost is offline
Alot of our staff worked from home. Still had 2 guys at the DC every day. lost a few clients and gained a few. Things have started to open back up here in FL.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #13 (permalink)   05-12-2020, 04:27 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 168

Status: izumi777 is offline
We have curfew in Thailand and I don't know what to do yet if a server at the data center is down after 10pm. But luckily no server is down yet.

I think a trip to a Data Center should count as an essential trip. Hosting providers need to provide the highest uptime as possible.
__________________
Hostneverdie : Thailand Reliable Hosting and VPS Services Since 2009.
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On