Get Paid to Participate - up to $1 per post!     Twitter     Facebook     Google+
Hosting Discussion
 

Hosting Discussion > Web Hosting Forums > Web Hosting Reselling > overselling on reseller service
forgot password?



Reply


Old
  Post #31 (permalink)   08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,426
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernGully View Post
For resellers, I think having overselling enabled is crucial to getting your company off the ground.
we never oversell and dont allow our resellers to oversell, but keeping our servers at 70% capacity keeps the server running smoothly
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #32 (permalink)   08-25-2012, 05:56 PM
HD Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca
Posts: 157

Status: Forward Web is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
we never oversell and dont allow our resellers to oversell, but keeping our servers at 70% capacity keeps the server running smoothly
The point I was trying to make is that if you as a web host is not overselling, then it is irrelevant whether or not your resellers are allowed to oversell. People often times run away from the term (overselling), but fail to understand that there is responsible overselling (with resellers) and irresponsible overselling (with the web hosts providing the reseller service).
__________________
Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To Forward Web
Forward Web --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Click Here for Logo Design Services for Your Business
 
 
 


Old
  Post #33 (permalink)   08-26-2012, 04:58 AM
HD Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 532
Send a message via Skype™ to HostColor

Status: HostColor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
I have no problem with allowing a reseller to oversell. After all, shared hosting (and thus reseller hosting) is oversold by its very nature: you get momentary access to all or a big chunk of the the server's spare computing power, and so does every other customer.
Hi Dan,

Without disputing the thesis about overselling in telecommunication industry, I disagree with the suggestion that "shared hosting (and thus reseller hosting) is oversold by its very nature". It is oversold with some hosting companies that are unethical in their business practices. I would expect the Mods of any reputable forum like HD to lead the community by setting some kind of moral standards and to educate the members, especially the new ones. You know that "overselling" (unlimited space and/or unlimited bandwidth) offers are not accepted in HostingDiscussion. By justifying them in this thread you are opening a door for setting double standards.
__________________
HostColor.com - Cloud Server Hosting - Dedicated Hosting in Europe - since 2000
Data Centers: US (near Chicago) & Europe
Network (AS46873): CenturyLink (Level 3), Cogent, Hurricane Electric & Midwest Peering
 
 
 


Old
  Post #34 (permalink)   08-29-2012, 11:28 AM
HD Management Staff
 
Artashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,004

Status: Artashes is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
Hi Dan,

Without disputing the thesis about overselling in telecommunication industry, I disagree with the suggestion that "shared hosting (and thus reseller hosting) is oversold by its very nature". It is oversold with some hosting companies that are unethical in their business practices. I would expect the Mods of any reputable forum like HD to lead the community by setting some kind of moral standards and to educate the members, especially the new ones. You know that "overselling" (unlimited space and/or unlimited bandwidth) offers are not accepted in HostingDiscussion. By justifying them in this thread you are opening a door for setting double standards.
I think that the industry as a whole shapes up the standards, not a selected group of individuals. I also do believe there is a difference between offering unlimited resources and controlled overselling. While I am against the term either way you put it, I think most companies do oversell resources (even though they'd place a number on it), including telecommunication companies, airlines and others. There will always be a myriad of opinions present in any community, but it is not the job of board owners to dictate what staff members should believe in. We might disagree on things, but that's okay.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #35 (permalink)   10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 46

Status: suppoB is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2netsolutions View Post
Is it good when a reseller host allows overselling on their service?
A lot of hosts that enable overselling at reseller level , limit the number of domains which a reseller can host under one account.So this is better to avoid companies which offer overselling and want to attract attention by unlimited domains in their hosting packages.

If every reseller starts overselling without control, it can perform the server load and even downtime. As the reseller accounts are growing day by day, they will try to upgrade their plans in future and that is when things can get really tricky for the reseller hosting provider.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #36 (permalink)   10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernGully View Post
For resellers, I think having overselling enabled is crucial to getting your company off the ground. .
I agree. Unfortunately those that don't are confusing overselling with overloading. You can overload a server without overselling, and at the same time oversell and keep capacity well below maximum. At the end of the day what matters is how many sites are on a server, not how they got there. I would rather be on a server with 500 oversold accounts than on the identical server with 800 non-oversold accounts
 
 


Old
  Post #37 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 323

Status: euro-space is offline
Actually if the hosting providers care about their customers, they should care about servers too.
So what a good hosting company does? - adds a new server, brings a better performance, eliminates overloads.
The mission is to find such provider and use their reseller features to grow your business, until the time comes to change to the dedicated server.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #38 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 07:01 AM
HD Amateur
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 83

Status: Natcoweb. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-space View Post
Actually if the hosting providers care about their customers, they should care about servers too.
So what a good hosting company does? - adds a new server, brings a better performance, eliminates overloads.
The mission is to find such provider and use their reseller features to grow your business, until the time comes to change to the dedicated server.
It's not east to find such a provider IMHO.
__________________
Natcoweb Dedicated and Colocation Hosting
Build Your Server
520 Series SSD Available

<<Signature edited. See Rules for signature setup.>>
 
 
 


Old
  Post #39 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 07:15 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,426
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-space View Post
Actually if the hosting providers care about their customers, they should care about servers too.
So what a good hosting company does? - adds a new server, brings a better performance, eliminates overloads.
The mission is to find such provider and use their reseller features to grow your business, until the time comes to change to the dedicated server.
This is why we keep our servers at approx. 70% full, so they are not overloaded and if needed we will set up another server and move some accounts.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #40 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
This is why we keep our servers at approx. 70% full.
What does that mean exactly? 70% of what? Are you buying servers that can handle 1,000 sites but putting only 700 sites on them? If so, who is paying for the unused 30%?

Business logic tells us that you set up a new server when the previous one is "full" at 100% -- however you may happen to define 100%. To say your "full" server is only 70% full is marketing fluff
 
 


Old
  Post #41 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 10:39 AM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,426
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
What does that mean exactly? 70% of what? Are you buying servers that can handle 1,000 sites but putting only 700 sites on them? If so, who is paying for the unused 30%?

Business logic tells us that you set up a new server when the previous one is "full" at 100% -- however you may happen to define 100%. To say your "full" server is only 70% full is marketing fluff
i keep my servers at 70% (web space) or nearest to it. this way the servers are not overcrowded and work more efficient. When one of our servers starts to reach 70% we will provision a new server and then lock off the 70% server to new accounts
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #42 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyhostmedia View Post
i keep my servers at 70% (web space) or nearest to it. this way the servers are not overcrowded and work more efficient. When one of our servers starts to reach 70% we will provision a new server and then lock off the 70% server to new accounts
If its just disk space, why? Sounds like you still have the ram and cpu available to acommodate 1/3 more sites. Why not get bigger drives or add space instead of setting up a new server? You will be able to lower your prices and make the same money or more, and performance won't change, or if it does be imperceptible to end user. Or, get less expensive servers with less ram and cpu that can still handle that 70%. Find a happy medium where there is just enough ram and cpu to accomodate the sites on 70% of your disk space.

Last edited by Collabora : 10-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #43 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
HD Wizard
 
easyhostmedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 5,426
Send a message via MSN to easyhostmedia

Status: easyhostmedia is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
If its just disk space, why? Sounds like you still have the ram and cpu available to acommodate 1/3 more sites. Why not get bigger drives or add space instead of setting up a new server? You will be able to lower your prices and make the same money or more, and performance won't change, or if it does be imperceptible to end user. Or, get less expensive servers with less ram and cpu that can still handle that 70%. Find a happy medium where there is just enough ram and cpu to accomodate the sites on 70% of your disk space.
my profits have not suffered by working this way yes i may have Ram/CPU to accommodate 1/3 more sites, but as some clients have ecommerce sites etc. some of these take extra resources so it gives a better performance for my clients if the servers are not 100% full.
__________________
Terry Robertson - CEO The Easyhost Media Group
PowerSSL - - We Secure your World
The Scamlist Forum - Fighting against scammers
 
 
 


Old
  Post #44 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 01:02 PM
HD Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 48

Status: CrystoneHosting is offline
Overselling is never good, it leads to poor preformance and the cleints will suffer.
 
 
 


Old
  Post #45 (permalink)   10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 969

Status: Collabora is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystoneHosting View Post
Overselling is never good, it leads to poor preformance and the cleints will suffer.
No it doesn't. See my post #36 above overselling on reseller service

Overselling is a hosting plan model, its not a server attribute. A host that oversells does so even before the first site is added to a server. That is, you can oversell and have an empty server. An empty server performs the same whether you are overselling or not. A server with 10 sites performs the same whether you are overselling or not. A server with 100 sites performs the same whether you are overselling or not, ad nauseum. Its amazing how many hosts do not understand the concept

Last edited by Collabora : 10-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
 
 
 
Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread


Thread Tools

New Post New Post   Old Post Old Post
Posting Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Sponsored By: