Thought that this might help some people out here....
Many small companies do not invest in a professional-looking logo. But, the right logo, with the right characteristics, will boost your visibility, credibility and memorablity - which means more business for you!
These characteristics include:
* Consistency in use of your logo, tagline, materials. Repetition helps people to remember who you are and what you do.
* Memorability, so that your logo sticks at the forefront of your potential clients' minds. That way, they'll think of you next time they have a need.
* Meaningfulness, so that your logo can spread the message about the distinguishing characteristics of your business.
* Uniqueness, which helps you stand out from the crowd. For example, if everyone in your industry uses a particular symbol (i.e., travel agencies often use globes in their logos), try to use something else - that way, your logo doesn't just look like everyone else's.
* Professionalism, in the quality of the graphics, the printing and the paper your materials are printed on.
* Timelessness in your logo will ensure that you don't have to redesign your logo in just a few years, and that your investment and equity in your design will be lasting.
* Differentiation between the colors in your logo - and not just in terms of hue, but in terms of value as well, so that it translates well to black and white or greyscale, and so that colorblind people can read it.
* Unity between the different elements in the logo. The logo must fit together as a single unit, and not just appear as a jumble of elements pasted together.
* Scalability, so that your logo looks equally good on a business card and on a sign for your business (or a billboard!), and at every size in between. A second part of this is legibility of your business's name at different logo sizes, and making sure that your designer chooses a font that is readable.
Having a professionally designed logo can really give your business a jumpstart, and help your business to get the attention - and clients - you need to succeed.