500 Internal sever error

bunnykins

I accidentally deleted some files that were needed by my forum. I know, I know I should have made a back up. I uploaded a new install of ipb and I still get the error.
I restored the .haccess, well I actually created another one from a fresh test install. I was trying to figure out what I was missing so I installed a test install and that was something I had to create.

I do have a ticket with ipb but was maybe wondering if some one here might know what I might have missed.

Yup -500 Internal Errors are usually either a permission issue on the folder, or a permission issue on the file.

Any files should be at 644, and any folder should normally be at 755. In generally circumstances, there's no need to place higher permissions than the above.

Yep and my host does not allow files or folders to be set to 777. Why I didn't think of looking at the permissions earlier is beyond me. I just kept thinking I was missing files as it started with me deleted files. Why the files restored with a unsupported file permission is also beyond me.

I once had an issue with internal server errors after deleting some files for a forum too once a few years ago.

I kept scratching my head trying to figure out what was wrong and yep turns out it was the permission settings.

The permission settings were different since I hadn't changed them to the correct settings after I re uploaded them. :crash:

Glad you got it sorted.

Chad

Incorrect permissions are the most common reason of 500 error. I' d like to add that in my experience the second most common reason is that your .htaccess file has incorrect directives. For example, when someone tries to use .htaccess file to change PHP variables, while the host doesn't allow it. Anyway if you are not sure which row in .htaccess file is wrong - just try to access your php script without .htaccess (temporary remove or rename it ).

Generally internal sever error occurs in suphp environment if you have files and folders with incorrect ownership and insecure permission like 777

Secondly you can not use php directives in .htaccess. For that you need to use php.ini.