about hostonce.com, anybody been with them

kwei

I'd be glad if anyone reading this,could tell me if hostonce.com is all that good as they say on their website,cos they've got just the right mix for me.I would be glad if anyone could tell me of any good/bad experences.Any other recommedations to other hosters would be appreciated.Thanks

Kwei, not only Martie pushed you in the right direction, he actually told the whole story.

As a staff member here, I'm required to be more tolerant in regard of any issue/comment, but in this case I would just like to add my comment because I've actually tried HostOnce before and it was horrible.

Not only I didn't get any service (they simply closed my account within 2 days), but charged me twice and then I had an 8-week battle with them about a chargeback, which I finaly got (not without letters from our legal advisors).

I personally spoke with 4 other webmasters who have also had miserable experience with HostOnce.

HostOnce was an easy pick you did because it is widely advertised by webmasters who make a decent quick buck on signing up people who don't know much about web hosting. So, my advice to you - make a good research, do your homework prior to giving your money somebody else.

A few quick rules:

- Test a host of your choice by sending them e-mails, calling them if they have a telephone number. Ask them questions until you're satisfied. See if they really can provide decent support when you need it.
- Check online forums and bigger review sites to get some feedback from real people, ex/current-customers.
- Check their file at: www.bbb.com (Better Business Bureau). They may have a negative customer experience file.
- Check hosting company's domain name WhoIs to see when it was registered (a 1 month old domain and 5 year old domain - there is a small difference) - at least tells you how long they've been in business.
- Ask for their current customers you can speak to about their services.
- etc.

Finally, if you really want to get a good deal, I can recommend you to post your request at our HOSTING REQUESTS forum and see many companies giving you a free customized quote (something that many companies won't do if you sign up directly). There is an advantage to signing up through forums, learning about hosting companies who make you an offer because they are publicly exposed, some are well-known, so that if you get horrible service - you can actually broadcast the message on big online forums and that influences their reputation.

Good luck to you!

Thanks so much for your detailed replies.It sure good to have people like you save newbies from big disappointments.I would post a resquest as you said and hope to get the best bargain.Thanks again.Greetings from Ghana

hi guys, thought I'd ask ya about this other host , too. addvaluehost.com.Pls what's your take on them?Pls do let me know ASAP............Thanks again.greetings from Ghana

Well, from what I've seen at addvaluehost.com, the good signs are:

- reasonably priced
- support forums are active
- they say they've been in business for 1 year (and they have 50 members - most of them are supposed to be clients), which is not bad
- i believe to get support is ONLY through e-mail or helpdesk...

well, that's about it. Try searching the forum for more information on them.

wow, thanks for your quick response.I'm investigating on them.How about Enterprise Digital...........i found their link on your site?Pls
what's your take on them.

Ghana, if you found them on my site, that means they've been under our most serious invetigation and they were qualified to be listed. Not everyone is.

Which would basically mean what it means - they have the experience and necessary tools to serve you right. ;)

Hope this helps.

I happen to like IPowerweb. They offer just about everything you could ever need for a very reasonable price. My only beef is that they don't allow shell access. They do, however, use CPanel.

Sicarius, I was using iPowerWeb previously and the service was good, but finally they accidently terminated my account. Plus, not everything they offer is true. There is a promotional package available for every member, which doesn't work apparently since no one can get to it. I sent in 6 or 7 e-mails urging them to provide access to it - all I got every time is: "we'll look into this".

On the scale to 1 to 10 my personal rating would be 3.

Sicarius, If Artashes is pointing fingers @ iPowerWeb,then they need serious investigation. .............just incase anyone 's got a bad/good report on iPowerWeb, it would be nice if he/she could post it. I appriciate how resourceful, all of you have been .I don't know what I could've done with this forum .Kudos to the initiators..........greetings from the sunny west coast of africa

kwei said:
Sicarius, If Artashes is pointing fingers @ iPowerWeb,then they need serious investigation.

Well, its not necessarily true. It all comes down to personal experience and luck. I'm right about the promotional marketing package though - it doesn't work and they still offer it, which is misleading.

I've had no problems with iPowerWeb. Been with them a year, the support is I'd say 7/10: somtimes spot on; other times absolutely useless and somewhat stupid.
Admittedly when it was good, it was probably an easy problem to solve or already solved.

My site went down a few times. They say some kinda worm attack or something; they were quite vague on the subject but apoligised. I would've appreciated some compensation, but none was ever offered. Anyways, for the price its quite decent.

Most extras are a one-off cost. Many which are free with other providers eg. sub-domains.

Overall: 6.5/10 (Considering Price maybe 8/10)

eh...

I've looked at them before, they seem to be decent, but then I found Linux and went to find some linux hosting instead.