ADSL vs Cable (ISP Options)

HostingAbove

Well, my contract has finally finished and I will be in the market for getting a new TV/Internet Service Provider. I would like to open this forum up for discussion, would you choose ADSL or CABLE based internet for your home? From what I have seen, ADSL is dedicated and more consistent as for speeds. It also seems to be cheaper than most in the area where I live in. As for cable, to my knowledge the bandwidth is all pooled, so during high peak times the internet slows down. As I am based here in Canada, internet speeds are typically quite good but we sure pay through the ear for those speeds.

Provider Option 1 (Telus - ADSL): If I sign a three year term, I get 25mbps Download, 2mbps Upload, Personal TV (100 Channels w/ 25 being HD), 1 HD PVR and 2 HD Receivers. Also, they have a promotion now with getting a $100 dollar bill credit and a free 40" Samsung TV (1080P). The cost for this package is 89.99CAD (88.08 US Dollar).

Provider Option 2 (SHAW - CABLE): Service is month to month, but for the same above I will be paying 119.95CAD (117.44 US Dollar). I get NO TV, nor a Bill Credit.

I know the first option is the most competitive, but I have never tested ADSL internet and I get conflicted reviews from both sides. Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks,
Tanner

Here in the States, we are slowly trying to catch up with the rest of the world in speed. ADSL is still slower than cable, at least in my area and as far as I know everywhere, they cannot even get close due to network / equipment limitations (don't quote me on that)

We have no ADSL - Verizon or any other provider in my area that can beat the speed of cable. I checked too before I signed up.

Our systems here usually are priced with "package deals" whether you go ADSL or CABLE - try to find a one that you will actually use and give you at least a two year break before raising the price.

They offered me phone plus cable to get the best high speed price, but i didn't need a phone, so I said I need HD, don't need a TIVO, just something that delivers 1080i or 1080P to the widescreen and they had an HD packagae that had the 30mbps internet deal - about $118.00 after all the taxes ($107 before)

60mbps speed was $20.00 more per month - but 60mbps, even that would not improve my score on COD...:D

In two years who knows you might be able to renegotiate a better deal

60mbps speed was $20.00 more per month - but 60mbps, even that would not improve my score on COD...:D

Lol, thanks for the feedback.. Trust me I know, the game just makes me angry, maybe I will have better luck wiggling the line on ADSL for a better score. Apparently its a very delicate network ;). I will look at both as options, don't look at switching till the start of the new month. Hopefully will get some additional feedback and experiences. First deal is very tempting I may add, but hate those pesky three year contracts. Who knows what will happen three years down the road!

Last edited:
I have seen some adsl connects run faster then cable and I have also seen them run the same speed. Some cases the cable runs faster.
It depends on the isp and what equipment they are using. Some have fiber to a node in town and dsl to the homes. They can get pretty good speeds this way. My isp has that and I am set to 10mb.
There are also isps using wireless that can also go as fast if not faster then both adsl and cable. I think I have seen that go 50 to 100mbs.

Where I live we have lots of isp. I think I was told our state has more isps than any other state in the US. So we see all kinds of different speeds and connection types.

Well i have been worked for a Router Support Center previously. And from my Experience we had no issues what so ever Configuring the Cable Connections we would Refer the Customer to the ISP only 1 out of 10, but with ADSL Connections, we do have many instances where the customer would have problems with the ISP itself like the Speed, Connections Down, High Noise Levels, etc.. we would Refer the Customer to the ISP 6 out of 10,
I would Suggest you to check out there Support centers before signing up with ADSL company.

Just go with the ADSL, dont pay more for less of a package.

I got our new adsl connection business yesterday, I am getting 20mpbs down, 1mbps up, it is doing great for voip and is working everything else with no slow downs or issues.

It is just as good as cable imo

Definitely - Cable connection. ADSL is cheaper, but not stable and fast as the Cable connection. Of course, it depends on the country, how much money costs both of them :)

I dropped ADSL years ago and went with cable for Internet, phone and television - package deal, and couldn't be happier. What you go with depends on what is being offered in your area. For you, it looks like ADSL is the better deal. For me, money isn't the primary factor, it's stability and speed. I had ADSL at my salon and it was awful and I was at just one mile from the CO.

Well, my contract has finally finished and I will be in the market for getting a new TV/Internet Service Provider. I would like to open this forum up for discussion, would you choose ADSL or CABLE based internet for your home? From what I have seen, ADSL is dedicated and more consistent as for speeds. It also seems to be cheaper than most in the area where I live in. As for cable, to my knowledge the bandwidth is all pooled, so during high peak times the internet slows down. As I am based here in Canada, internet speeds are typically quite good but we sure pay through the ear for those speeds.

Provider Option 1 (Telus - ADSL): If I sign a three year term, I get 25mbps Download, 2mbps Upload, Personal TV (100 Channels w/ 25 being HD), 1 HD PVR and 2 HD Receivers. Also, they have a promotion now with getting a $100 dollar bill credit and a free 40" Samsung TV (1080P). The cost for this package is 89.99CAD (88.08 US Dollar).

Provider Option 2 (SHAW - CABLE): Service is month to month, but for the same above I will be paying 119.95CAD (117.44 US Dollar). I get NO TV, nor a Bill Credit.

I know the first option is the most competitive, but I have never tested ADSL internet and I get conflicted reviews from both sides. Anyways, thoughts?

Thanks,
Tanner

I Think the first option is much better..!!

Alex,

Thank you for chiming in, I actually did go with option A). Best thing about Option A), the provider offered me the first year free without signing an agreement to try out the services. Couldn't go wrong with that, but didn't get the free TV, but that's alright, price you pay for free service! ;)

Thank you everyone for the comments!

^ TG