Anonymous Nameservers For My Resellers?

jwebby

I am using dedicated servers to sell reseller packages, but would like to find a way to provide the resellers with anonymous nameservers without them having to buy the ip's. I was thinking about getting a very generic domain name and setting up my server with those name servers on the third and forth nameserver entries. And use the primary and secondary as my company nameservers, but that would be two different domains.

This in root WHM (cPanel) by the way.

Example:

ns1.mycompanyname.com
ns2.mycompanyname.com
ns3.genericname.com
ns4.genericname.com

Then assign my resellers to ns3, and ns4.

Does anyone know if this will work?

After I register the anonymous domain name, wouldn't it show up as my company on WHOIS? I don't know how one company does it but they use dnslists.net and on a whois search it comes up with these name servers but the company is completely anonymous.

Name Server: NS1.NAMERESOLVE.COM
Name Server: NS2.NAMERESOLVE.COM
Name Server: NS3.NAMERESOLVE.COM
Name Server: NS4.NAMERESOLVE.COM

I know there is a way to do this, but I'm a little confused now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

The whois information returned would be for genericname.com, not your own domain name. However, nowadays, the DNS issues don't really matter that much. Most end users don't know about whois and can't be bothered about how DNS does recursive lokups. They just care that their website works. You reseller customers should worry that much about whether they get vanity nameservers or not.

Hello,
You really don't have to do anything special to do this.. If each of your servers have at least 2 static IP's that are used for it's nameservers, you can just tell your resellers to set up their nameservers with your IP's..

Say for instant you have a server,

ns1.domain.com = 127.0.0.1
ns2.domain.com = 127.0.0.2

Your reseller only needs the IP's..

ns1.theirdomain.com = 127.0.0.1
ns2.theirdomain.com = 127.0.0.2

Resellers don't have to have static IP's.. Most hosts charge for this yet anyone can do this on their own.. Its simply called nameserver sharing. For resellers that are doing this, you can optionally add their anonymous nameservers and SOA record details of them into the dns records of your server as well so it will maintain matches in the whois output..

I think all resellers should do this as allot of people use services like http://www.whois.sc to find out where hosts are located, which datacenters they use and so on.

Regards,
Chris

To be honest if someone want's to find out who the original seller of space is they will I have used many tools over the year and found that sort of information out from data centers to original host etc...

Anyway just thought you should know that too. :news:

Yes, that is very true.. And just another fact to add.. For anyone who hosts using cPanel as the thread started mentioned and even myself, There is no such thing as 100% anonymity with cPanel/WHM as a reseller.

Chris

sitehostz said:
Hello,
You really don't have to do anything special to do this.. If each of your servers have at least 2 static IP's that are used for it's nameservers, you can just tell your resellers to set up their nameservers with your IP's..

Say for instant you have a server,

ns1.domain.com = 127.0.0.1
ns2.domain.com = 127.0.0.2

Your reseller only needs the IP's..

ns1.theirdomain.com = 127.0.0.1
ns2.theirdomain.com = 127.0.0.2

Resellers don't have to have static IP's.. Most hosts charge for this yet anyone can do this on their own.. Its simply called nameserver sharing. For resellers that are doing this, you can optionally add their anonymous nameservers and SOA record details of them into the dns records of your server as well so it will maintain matches in the whois output..

I think all resellers should do this as allot of people use services like http://www.whois.sc to find out where hosts are located, which datacenters they use and so on.

Regards,
Chris

Hi,
I'm new to the whole dedicated server thing, I was just running a reseller account before. So you don't have to set up nameserver ip's? (a lot of people have tried charging me for this) So if I have 2 static ip's my resellers can just setup their nameservers with those ip's right? + how many resellers can you do this with? an infinite amount?
Thanks

Hello,
Yeah, Your resellers can just use the 2 server ip's.. As I mentioned, it's called Nameserver sharing and it works for an unlimited amount of domains.

Regards,
Chris

Optionally you could use one of the DNS services out there, some even offer reseller accounts and some private labeling.